SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:25 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Define 'hassle'. I want to use KK2 on my Tri and also on my Crab25, but I'm all out of flight controllers now... I'm going to order more stuff before the Chinese new year is here, so I'll most likely add another KK2 to the cart and a bunch of 3S lipos. My fleet is quite large now.. So there's a crapload of overlap at the moment. I'm still missing a serious ship that doesn't suffer from vibrations and whatnot. All of these work with GoPro cameras, but not much else!

This is what I've been up to for the past 2 weeks: TBS Discovery (rebuilt with fresh motors, new Graupner props), Warthox quad (One week old, with RCTimer motors, SimonK ESCs and an MWC board), Simple Quad (Finished a few days ago, with Suppo motors, 10A Plush ESCs, 8" Gemfans. Actually, it's been complete for some time, I was just waiting for that KK2 board). And I'm working on the micro quad project... My Aquacopter is not finished yet. My 'lightweight ply frame' quad something is having issues, I rotated one of the motors by hand the other day and it got stuck completely, something is stuck inside it. Ugh.

Oh yeah I forgot, that DJI F450 there. It was also re-assembled last week. I'll fix my F330 soon too. Sheesh, I should sell some of these so I can afford greater things!
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Last edited by WiseDuck; Jan 25, 2013 at 04:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:40 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Well its definitely flying, just drunk as furk.
I need to dial in the PI values, since stock is nowhere near useful.
What values do you have on your little quad?

Ive also been crazy busy with multicopters lately.
I bought that brushed motor ESC and a spare hubsan motor for a trail run, to decide if a full hubsan conversion is gonna happen.
I ditched my Y6 because my 5.8GHz video was complete rubbish and flying it LOS is boring.
I got my crab25 all done, but controller is rubbish, so that one is on hiatus until I get a good feel for the KK2
I replaced the KKuk v2.0 amtel 268 on my tricopter with a KK2 hoping it will nix the tail droop @ full throttle.
If the minitri turns out well with KK2 ill buy another for the crab25, otherwise ill just start fiddling with a multiwii flip board.
Ive got a nice bicopter on the backburner too, but im not sure how to attach a fuselage to it yet.
I bought a mini and 400mm hunter from Dialfonzo to be my main machines for park and field flying.
The mini already got cut, turned into a real handsome devil.

And it all is costing me WAY TOO MUCH MONEY. ... but atleast im having tons of fun.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Anyone have any recommendations for balancing to get rid of vibrations? It seems so difficult to balance these tiny things. I've been trying many things, for a very long time, unsuccessfully. I get such severe vibrations you can actually see the motors wobbling about 1/8 of a inch.

However the wobbles to seem to resonate at different rpm's. A motor will be spinning nicely, almost vibration free, then speed it up a bit and it wobbles like mad, then speed it up a little more and its back with minimal vibrations. Needless to say, it doesn't fly well like that.

Heres what I've tried so far.
1) I always balance the props on a magnetic prop balancer till they are dead perfect on the balancer.
2) I switched from 3 blade props to 2 blade props for easier balancing.
3) I switched the prop adaptors from the ones that came with the motors, to some from dx, since someone recommended they were better.

I'm thinking about trying to cut the motor shafts down, and also maybe try out some prop savers (which I normally don't like as much as the collet adapters, but I'm trying everything).

Any suggestions?
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:51 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for balancing to get rid of vibrations? It seems so difficult to balance these tiny things. I've been trying many things, for a very long time, unsuccessfully. I get such severe vibrations you can actually see the motors wobbling about 1/8 of a inch.

However the wobbles to seem to resonate at different rpm's. A motor will be spinning nicely, almost vibration free, then speed it up a bit and it wobbles like mad, then speed it up a little more and its back with minimal vibrations. Needless to say, it doesn't fly well like that.

Heres what I've tried so far.
1) I always balance the props on a magnetic prop balancer till they are dead perfect on the balancer.
2) I switched from 3 blade props to 2 blade props for easier balancing.
3) I switched the prop adaptors from the ones that came with the motors, to some from dx, since someone recommended they were better.

I'm thinking about trying to cut the motor shafts down, and also maybe try out some prop savers (which I normally don't like as much as the collet adapters, but I'm trying everything).

Any suggestions?
Others will probably disagree but Ihave had great results on my mini quads using:
cheapo hk 5x3 propellers. Balance as best as possible. Rough up the motor shafts with some wet and dry sandpaper.
The center hole is very small ... drill it out so that it is a firm push onto the motor shaft with pliers or multi grips. Push them right down onto the top of the motor bell with a light dab of epoxy, or similar, and another dab on the top.
Works for me after giving up on prop adapters, and prop savers.
Yes, I split a few props hubs pushing them on, but what the heck ... they are really cheap and I just chucked them away. Just make sure you have a straight push onto the motor shaft to avoid any risk of bending those 2mm shafts.

Mark
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
Others will probably disagree but Ihave had great results on my mini quads using:
cheapo hk 5x3 propellers. Balance as best as possible. Rough up the motor shafts with some wet and dry sandpaper.
The center hole is very small ... drill it out so that it is a firm push onto the motor shaft with pliers or multi grips. Push them right down onto the top of the motor bell with a light dab of epoxy, or similar, and another dab on the top.
Works for me after giving up on prop adapters, and prop savers.
Yes, I split a few props hubs pushing them on, but what the heck ... they are really cheap and I just chucked them away. Just make sure you have a straight push onto the motor shaft to avoid any risk of bending those 2mm shafts.

Mark
That is a very interesting idea, getting rid of prop adapters all together. I think I may just give that a shot. I'm wondering though, since you epoxy the propellers to the motor shaft, how difficult is it if you break one and need to put on a new one? Also, do you happen to have a link to the same props your using?

If anyone else has any other suggestions as well, I'd be interested in hearing them. Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:16 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
That is a very interesting idea, getting rid of prop adapters all together. I think I may just give that a shot. I'm wondering though, since you epoxy the propellers to the motor shaft, how difficult is it if you break one and need to put on a new one? Also, do you happen to have a link to the same props your using?

If anyone else has any other suggestions as well, I'd be interested in hearing them. Thanks.
Broken propellers will just twist off. Epoxy does not hold then that well. A pair of pliers will help. Other opinions label these propellers as junk, but I have had a pretty good run from them and they work well with the A1510 motors on 2 or 3 cells. ... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_per_bag.html and http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_per_bag.html .
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:28 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
I bought a buncha those hobbyking props and noticed the notch where the hole SHOULD have been,
and then a smaller hole drilled way off center inside of it, and I was "lol, nope, gemfan it is then".
Hobbykings "GWS" props, especially the 5" ones, are atrociously crap and not worth the effort, imho.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:52 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Indeed. I've tried to use some 5" props from Hobbyking without much luck. You just gotta make sure the collet adapter doesn't wobble when spun by hand. If it does, replace any part in the adapter and try again. If it doesnt wobble, tighten it then apply some throttle. Sometimes you won't need any tape at all. Sometimes, you need a bit of tape to balance everything. All six of my motors+props on my Y6 are balance very well and the tape is still holding up well. I will replace the three bottom props soon though... They scrape against the ground everytime I land and now they have quite a few scuffs.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:01 PM
Web programmer
Bogor, Indonesia
Joined Dec 2006
22 Posts
I've build my quad in under 6 hours Here are my configuration:
- Crab25 MiniQuad frame.
- Naze32 flight controller.
- Hitec Optima 7 receiver.
- A1510 Motor.
- Turnigy plush 10A.
- Turnigy nano-tech 850mah 2S 25~40C Lipo Pack.

I'm using Gemfan 2 blade 5030 from Goodluckbuy. All the props are not balanced. I balance them using magnetic balancer without problem. I also have GWS 5x3x3 propeller, but they are very hard to balance. I gave up after 2 hours trying to sand it. I found that 2 and 3 blade props has same flight time, about 6 minutes. I have tried 3S 850mah lipo but the props seems to be spinning too fast. So I stick with 2 blade props and 2S lipo for now.

The Naze 32 FC doesn't fit inside the frame. The receiver pin are sticking sideways. I mount it on the top of the frame. It fly very well on maiden flight. I did about 20 flights now and no crash so far.

Best regards from Indonesia,
Irman

p.s. I'm surprised the package came from Turkey. I been there last year, beautiful country
xufos is offline Find More Posts by xufos
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:29 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Haha yeah the A1510 will turn any small multi into a monster, the crab25 being no exception.
Ive got a fat 1000mAh 3s pack under mine and it still takes off like a rocket.
Dont forget to glue the frame, or it will bow like crazy.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:33 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Indeed. Epoxy glue is a must on these. The FC should fit but only without the case. You can use Hobbykings adhesive foam board to attach the FC to the frame if there's enough surface area to hold on to. I don't think I've tried to use 36x36 boards on this one actually.

Anyhow, looking good! I got 24 5030 props in the mail the other day, so I'm going to replace the worn out props on my Y6 very soon and use it more. I'm also going to order some new 3S lipos because I only have two 2200mah 3S lipos right now. My very first two turnigy lipos are not very good anymore.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:22 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
I sadly had to let my Y6 go. For some reason my 5.8Ghz video was garbage and my usual 1.3Ghz didn't fit.
And it was too boring to keep as just a regular flyer, so I sold it to make room for a mini V-tail.

Still holding on to my beloved tricopter though, if only the KK2 board wasn't such a b*^#ch about it.
I ordered another one for the crab25, but im already halfway regretting it..
Anyone here using KK2 on the bambu crab-tri?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:45 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
I just swapped out my 4 ESC's on my mini quad from the Plush 10A to Suppo 10A ESC's.

The limited details I find on these say that they learn the throttle endpoints automatically. Is this really true? Do they all just learn the correct endpoints while your flying, with no additional steps taken? Meaning all I need to do is follow the instructions to change the battery cutoff to Nimh, and I'm all good to go?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:06 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
They learn the endpoints when you show it to them.
For a classic KK board you set the yaw pot to zero, power up, securely hold the quad in your hand and then apply full throttle.
For KK2 theres something in the menu to do it I think, but be careful.
For multiwii theres a parameter in the firmware you need to uncomment. You have to reflash when you're done.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:21 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
I had something really weird happen to me today.
I was test hovering my crab25 with its new KK2 board when all of a sudden one of the suppo ESCs caught fire!
Ive flown with it before, several packs in fact, so not sure what happened here.
Just a random FET, busting out an orange fountain and then it started flipping out.
Anyone had that happen to them before?

I hope the brand new KK2 is ok, it started going completely nuts after grabbing it and trying to get the battery.