HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:39 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
Welp, shoved some props on the way Kaz suggested and well..

Whoo damn! I think its safe to say, SCREW threebladed props!
With these cheap hobbyking props it was already dancing at 35% throttle.
And vibrations? pffft, what vibrations. Those damn prop collets I tell ya!

Im jacking the expo down right now, gonna see if I can get er to fly the way I like em.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:03 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Hooray for progress!
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:17 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
That's fantastic !!
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:20 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
Its now become a bit jittery so im guessing values have to go down.
One of the tail props flew off already so not using any mount probably isnt the best idea for this one.
Im gonna wait for the nicer 5x3 props and then fiddle with PIDs a bit.

You're really flying this thing at an 0.5 RC rate and 0.5 expo rate?
I had to jack it up to 0.9 and zero expo to get it flying the way im used to.

Just the jittering thats going on now, but my multiwii is a bit rusty, im used to just KKboarding it.
When im getting a rapid wobble in plain hover, P value has to go down right?
Slow wobble would suggest smoothing (D) is too high I think.. djeez I have to read up on this.

Damn the collets and three blades though, now I gotta think of a way to fasten the props.
Inverted propsavers arnt gonna work either, I just checked. The axles arnt long enough for that.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:34 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Just wait for the glue to dry for a few minutes ... and don't drill them out too much ... haha
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:36 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I started out with 1.0 on the RC Rate but found it to be dangerously responsive, I could make it spin a full revolution in less than half a second. I supposed it's worth testing a higher RC Rate and no expo. I'm not sure how you fly, but I fly gently when I feel like it and twitchy when I get near stuff. :P Post some videos! I just posted a video of a quad I just flew, not sure if I'll take the Y6 to the field yet. A lot of things are happening this evening in this little town and I might join the festivities.

And yeah P has to go down. I'm not sure what D does, I think it "smooths" all movement. I is for heading hold I think, whenever it doesn't hold an angle I increase 'I' and that seems to fix it.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:01 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
I only reamed the props slightly so the axle would go in, I did the rest with some large linear plier.
All the others seem to be on there rock solid, I cant even get em off now.

A full pirouette in under a second? My yaw is far less responsive it seems.
I'm using multiwiiGui 2.0 though, so there's some extra values I can set.

I thought it was going to be a competitor to my large quad, but its still a far cry from it now.
Hopefully I can get it flying as nice as yours once I get the other propellers in.
Still stumped on how to mount em though, what collets did you use?

P resists all movement, its what it does to keep itself stable. Too high and it over compensates, causing a looped feedback.
I is how slowly it backs out of a movement, if your copter "bucks" when you pull it out of a heading its too low.
D is how it smooths out all the movements, if your copter wiggles when you take a turn its too low.

So for me P is too high right now, im gonna try jacking it down to 3 to see if that gets the shakes out.
After that its time to take it for some forward flying. Ill be sure to film that.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:10 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Not yaw, roll and pitch. Yaw is very fast, but not quite that fast. :P

I used the included collets. But like I said, some of them don't spin straight. Some wobble a bit. The collets consist of three parts, the cone, thread and the thing that pushes the collet together. Whenever a collet appeared to be a bit wobbly I replaced one of the three parts in the collet, I eventually managed to find a combination of parts that worked well together. I did this for all 6 motors, I can now spin the motors by hand and there is no noticeable wobble. After that I balanced the motors dynamically with tape.

Now I can go from 0 to 100% throttle and I can't feel any major vibrations in the setup. But anyhow, looks like I'm taking it for a spin after all. But I have to use the stock Fatshark antennas. So I'm not sure if the video will be all that exciting. I can't go far or behind things.

EDIT: Everything is ready, but it just started raining. Doh.
Last edited by WiseDuck; Jul 19, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
Hmm yeah the cyclic control seems pretty nippy, perhaps having it a little softer benefits forward flight.
I cant really judge without sending it around the field once to see what it does.

And ah, mix and matching parts to make a right out of two wrongs? Sure ill give that a whack.

Stock antennas tend to be turrible, even cutting a wire to length and just jabbing it in there has better range.
So dont plan on leaving line of sight the way you'd fly without goggles id say.
Would love to see how camera vibrations are with your Y6 though!

And freaking rain.. every.. damn.. time.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:30 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Indeed, I didn't even fly once with the stock antennas. I just finished this set and I'll test these tomorrow if the weather lets me. It didn't take long to make these, even poorly made CL/SPW antennas are better than the stock ones.

It's 2:30am, I think it's time to get some rest now!

Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:23 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts

LEEEROOOOOOOY...

Bambu Tricopter - FPV (0 min 50 sec)

Just derping around with a tiny bambu tricopter to which I stuck a tiny FPV set.
Transmitter is too weak and camera lens too narrow, but it was fun anyway.
Couldn't really see what I was doing through my goggles with this narrow view,
so I just bounced around a lot rather then actual flying, but oh well.

Maybe I should fish up one of those tiny 200mw 5.8ghz vTXes and lump one of those iPhone lenses on there.
There are tiny wide angle lenses for these 1 gram nanocams, but obviously these are always out of stock.

And also, today Ive come to love my bambu tricopter to bits, I finally got to take it out and tune the board.
It zips around like a big p***ed off hornet, it was a real head turner at the club.
Unfortunately I had too much FPV crap to lug around so I forgot my camcorder..
Last edited by Freakazoid; Jul 22, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:17 PM
Simple is the best
Joined May 2011
1,150 Posts
looks good
Widelec is offline Find More Posts by Widelec
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:55 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
My flying buddy, who never flew a tricopter before, picked it up and flew it around the field just like that.
I'm trying to egg him into buying one as well, you know, get that beehive REALLY buzzing.

You make great frames my friend! Keep it up!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:08 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
That looked uh, difficult to fly, yeah. :P I've been looking at some micro FPV cameras for this sort of thing, but they all have crappy narrow lenses. I've seen some with wider lenses but they were CMOS cameras, ewwww. I want a CCD micro FPV camera with at least a 90 view.

I might have to put some of my plans on hold though. A relative of mine was here today and every time this guy shows up we spend lots of money on things for shits and giggles. We bought small RC cars and raced a bit, and we just spent 300 USD on HobbyKing. He's coming over again in 2 weeks.

My wallet hates me right now. I've got three active orders there. 90 bucks, 150 and 300. I believe this is how my wallet feels at the moment:

Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:23 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
Yeah this nanocam has a nonstandard 8mm barrel so its a b*tch to find lenses that fit.
There is one wonderful 120' lens for it, but the bugger is never in stock.

And hey, money is meant to be used, and your last suit wont have any pockets so enjoy it whenever you can.
Hows that for a life philosophy.