SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,607 Posts
Is unbreakable a fair statement?

The rear arm is the one that has broken low down and top triangle piece plus the yaw mechanism has too much slop to be useful. That along with a soft paper clip for the metal pivot just isn't strong enough.

I think your yaw need some work, way too flimsy, certainly a long way from unbreakable - perhaps you should change the title of this thread as I don't feel it is totally honest - do you?

Why will new parts be different?
microrcfiend is offline Find More Posts by microrcfiend
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:51 AM
Simple is the best
Joined May 2011
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
The rear arm is the one that has broken low down and top triangle piece plus the yaw mechanism has too much slop to be useful. That along with a soft paper clip for the metal pivot just isn't strong enough.

I think your yaw need some work, way too flimsy, certainly a long way from unbreakable - perhaps you should change the title of this thread as I don't feel it is totally honest - do you?

Why will new parts be different?

My goal is ;
yaw mechanism with simple parts. I know it's not best now.
Better yaw mechanism requires new parts bearing vs...
soft paper clip for give to shape easy. Not need hard metal in this size.
we need only " L " shaped ball end if its possible. for better yaw mechanism
do you know anywhere " L " shaped ball end ?
Widelec is offline Find More Posts by Widelec
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,607 Posts
I think wire should be much harder or at least not get brittle when bent more than once. Also the holes that the paper clip fit through in the vertical yaw supports are not drilled. The laser removes more material on one side so yaw support is thinner where strength is needed.

Perhaps let the user drill their own holes for yaw, no holes, just a dot in the spare ones maybe? I can only think of a small brass insert to avoid wear, an aluminum support or something less soft than half the thickness of already thin polycarbonate where it meets metal with constant pulling and pushing from the servo. I'm not a designer though

I look at your other designs and see no thin fragile sections and I understand your aim of simplicity and indeed it is a very elegant design, I even think it's a great price, just not solid enough for even light use due to thin sections where arms meet. Certainly not the toted unbreakable. I don't look forward to a rebuild if the same problems will haunt this design.
microrcfiend is offline Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:37 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,818 Posts
So im finally back from vacation (freaking hot in turkey last 2 weeks!), and im working on my Y6copter.
I have a question about the design though, is the copter supposed to sit on the propmounts?
The "belly" of this copter doesn't seem to offer enough spacing to lift the props off the ground.
I have thought about flipping the motor axle and putting the bottom motors in between the arms,
but the 1510 motors dont seem to offer this option, plus im not sure how well the props are gonna like being that close to a flat surface.

Any tips?
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Last edited by Freakazoid; Jul 01, 2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:38 AM
Simple is the best
Joined May 2011
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
So im finally back from vacation (freaking hot in turkey last 2 weeks!), and im working on my Y6copter.
I have a question about the design though, is the copter supposed to sit on the propmounts?
The "belly" of this copter doesn't seem to offer enough spacing to lift the props off the ground.
I have thought about flipping the motor axle and putting the bottom motors in between the arms,
but the 1510 motors dont seem to offer this option, plus im nor sure how well the props are gonna like being that close to a flat surface.

Any tips?
2 weeks ago. On the hottest days!
how was the Alanya beachs

You will need landing skid or long spacer in place of lowest m3 screws.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:58 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,818 Posts
Haha yeah thermometer said 40'c down in Side/Malavgat, almost too hot to move!

Luckily ive got a box of spacers and crap for building my own CNC cut frames,
but I think you should include it in the kit because you cant fly without this modification.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:43 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I am SO close to pulling the trigger on a Y6 + motor/ESC/prop combo pack. This looks like one of the smallest Y6 copters out there that can also lift a GoPro.

I'm mostly interested in using one of these for some zippy FPV flying across open fields and through places a normal 450-quad can't go.

How does it perform with a naked GoPro on board?
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:48 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
As for the Tri, yeah I do agree with the posters above. The design can be improved. Mine didn't seem to have the same fit and finish as my old Bambu Classic frame. Lots of rough sharp corners and the yaw mechanism isn't the best. However, for the price I can't complain too much. I flew a lot at the last meetup with the rc club. 4 packs with this thing actually! I had lots of fun and it handles very well. I think I crashed 10 times or so and also flipped a whole bunch of times. Except for some grass inside the motors it handled the 'crashes' just fine, mostly thanks to the thick grass.

But hey, that is to be expected, I flew like a complete noob and I also tried to cut grass with it. I managed to cut down some weeds, but some of the thicker ones took it down quickly. :P It was a lot of fun. I also tried to fly between the legs of the grill we had that, but I failed. One prop hit a metal leg, I heard a loud bang and the thing flipped. But the prop survived, got a small nick but it flew again seconds later. So this thing is awesome for just goofing around. :P
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:07 AM
Simple is the best
Joined May 2011
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
I am SO close to pulling the trigger on a Y6 + motor/ESC/prop combo pack. This looks like one of the smallest Y6 copters out there that can also lift a GoPro.

I'm mostly interested in using one of these for some zippy FPV flying across open fields and through places a normal 450-quad can't go.

How does it perform with a naked GoPro on board?
a nice Y6 build and fly with gopro posted here from @FlyinGizm0

NANO Y6 GoPro2 (4 min 23 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:12 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Yup, saw that one! But he never answered how much throttle it takes to hover with a GoPro on it. I doubt I'll put such a heavy camera on it. A HoryzonHD maybe, but nothing bigger. I need some of the extra thrust for my video gear and a 3S Lipo.

I need some landing skids for it that will fit and not get in the way of the 5" props. Know any suitable landing skids? I don't want to use the prop adapters as landing gear!
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:18 AM
FlyinGizm0
Austria, Ktn., Villach
Joined Mar 2012
136 Posts
Sorry
Never saw your post. It hovers at 50% with 3s2200 and gopro. Would recomend a keychain cam though. Greetz
FlyinGizm0 is offline Find More Posts by FlyinGizm0
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:22 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Hah, wow, so there's quite a bit of power in there huh? And the HoryzonHD is less than half the weight of a naked GoPro. Even less if you mod it and remove the LCD. So it's a rocket we're looking at then!
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:24 AM
FlyinGizm0
Austria, Ktn., Villach
Joined Mar 2012
136 Posts
Yup. Little rocket. UR right:-)
FlyinGizm0 is offline Find More Posts by FlyinGizm0
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:28 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Woo!

Alright, Widelec, I'm definitely ready to order the Y6 frame along with a motor combo for it. Just make sure to send me motors with the "Suppo A1510" sticker. The ones I got with my tricopter. I know there are several revisions out there of the A1510 motor, the latest ones from Suppo seem to be the best by far. Those on my Bambu Classic don't spin well and are very unbalanced. But the ones on my tricopter needed zero balancing and the arms don't shake from 0 to 100% throttle, so they're very nice!

So, going to place the order real soon.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:44 AM
Simple is the best
Joined May 2011
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Yup, saw that one! But he never answered how much throttle it takes to hover with a GoPro on it. I doubt I'll put such a heavy camera on it. A HoryzonHD maybe, but nothing bigger. I need some of the extra thrust for my video gear and a 3S Lipo.

I need some landing skids for it that will fit and not get in the way of the 5" props. Know any suitable landing skids? I don't want to use the prop adapters as landing gear!
I think trex 250 landing skid usable with reversed one plastic

Edwin's MiniQuad with trex250 landing skid

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=154

RCG Plus Member