HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JLT_GTI, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:07 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,188 Posts
Discussion
HawkSky HawkFighter mod

My latest adition to the fleet its this HawkSky wich after doing some trials and "corrections" was finally upgraded and moded to HawkFighter (a HawkSky variant developed and sold by KillerPlanes site)

Actually is not actually quite the same as the HawkFighter .. the Hawkfighter apart from the mods i did its quite reinforced to make it practically crash proof.. i havent yet reinforced any area.

The mod is simple.. chop the wings at arround 17cms from the edge wich lefts the winspan at 104cm from the original 140 .. added a couple of wintip fins or winglets flat and downward wich are suposed to help the airflow in the wing edge and make the plane to be more stall resistant in low speeds..

Havent tried the plane without the fins so cant tell if they are working or not.. but the plane really is quite stable in slow aproaches and passes and it has to be practically stoped to tipstall and so far i havent got any tipstalls yet so i guess something is working there..

This mod changed the plane so much that its hard to believe it, specially when you hold the 17cm choped wingtips in your hand wich seem so small that you cant believe removing them makes the plane so different..

The plane now is awesomly aerobatic... the standard didnt wanted to roll at all .. rolls were hideously slow and nasty (it wanted to go in a diferent direction during the roll, even with aileron differential dialed) and that was with the wingtips flat (cortesy of the previous owner as this airframe was bought second hand with the idea of the mod in mind).. Now rolls are amazingly responsive and fast.. its still no a 3D plane but it will do a full roll in like a second.. rolls are fast and clean and it remain having aileron authority until it basically falls of the sky.. plane is also a lot more nervous to fly, but thats what i was after.. its quite responsive and this is the first plane that made me program expo in the Tx .. that makes it a bit smoother (using -25%) tough it can be flough no problem at all with no expo or dual rates..

On the power aspect the plane came with an odd non-stock combination (a 1400Kv 9A motor , a 11X5 prop choped down to a 6Xsomething and a helicopter ESC wich cant be re-programed and takes 30s to spool fully up.. dont know what happent to the HawkSky stock 1800Kv and 18A ESC but since i was going to replace it anyway it doesnt bother me) wich was replaced by a 2826-6 2200Kv motor with a 6X4 (maybe will try 6X5 or even 6X6 in the future) and a 40A Turnigy Plush ESC mounted inside.. was going to mount it on the top for aircooling but im too lazy and i prefered the cleaner look. Battery i use my trusty 2200s 3S

Results are awesome, thrust measured in scale is arround 900g+ , plane weights 710g so it really do have vertically unlimited clim.. i allready used this power combo in the CloudsFly so i knew it was going to work well.. The ESC despite being inside the fuse it barelly gets warm .. after doing hard flight i land quick and test it.. barelly warm , same as the motor.. so its staying inside for the time being

Overall its what i was hoping for.... i allways liked the aesthetics of the HawkSky pointy nose.. now its a fun really powerfull and aerobatic simple plane that can work as an aerobatic trainer too (you really enjoy doing fingers with this) .. I really like.. for those who started in this world with a similar bird like the EasyStar family .. choping the wingtips off where the dihedral starts really turns this simple begginer planes into more advanced machines that can extend their life as trainers
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
to remove ads between posts