SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:35 PM
Big-E
Joined Nov 2011
5 Posts
Discussion
How do you test brushless motors and esc's?

I am having an issue with either my esc or motor in my F4-U I just bought from Banana(In My Tailpipe)Hobby. Go figure! I am a complete novice in Rc and would like to learn as much as I can. Already learned not to buy from BIMTH anymore! Anyway I want to get some input on how to test brushless motors and esc's. I want to try to at least save this plane and fly it if I can. Sending back to BIMTH is not an option, it will cost to much to ship from the US Virgin Islands back to So Cal. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
USVIFLYER is offline Find More Posts by USVIFLYER
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:55 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by USVIFLYER View Post
I am having an issue with either my esc or motor in my F4-U I just bought from Banana(In My Tailpipe)Hobby. Go figure! I am a complete novice in Rc and would like to learn as much as I can. Already learned not to buy from BIMTH anymore! Anyway I want to get some input on how to test brushless motors and esc's. I want to try to at least save this plane and fly it if I can. Sending back to BIMTH is not an option, it will cost to much to ship from the US Virgin Islands back to So Cal. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
and the question is??
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Nov 15, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:21 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
i'm assuming the motor isn't spinning so you want to know how to test it?

If you have no other tools, when you plug in the battery, does the motor make any noise...beeps...

anyways, if that isn't it, perhaps tell us what you need help with...
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,924 Posts
Quote:
Here is a good thread on dry testing brushless motors. It is mostly oriented towards motor rewinders but it work for other too:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35216

On testing ESC's I don't know of any real tricks or procedures. If I have a ESC and motor that are working and a plane with a power system that is not working, I will take the ESC off of the good one and see if the motor on bad one will run with it. Or I'll connect the non-working motor to the know good ESC and see if that works.

Bad motors can kill a good ESC, especially so it you do repeated or longer or higher throttle tests. I always use the largest ESC I have (assuming that bigger ones are harder to kill) and I never do anything more than open the throttle a click or two very briefly to see if a motor will run smoothly and normally. In the interest of protecting the ESC, I do not persist with testing if the motor chugs, stutters, or does anything abnormal.

I do some of the dry testing things at that point.

Every one needs to have a simple DMM and a watt meter if they are going to mess with electric flight.

Good luck with it!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:53 PM
Big-E
Joined Nov 2011
5 Posts
Yes, the motor does make a slight humming noise but will not spin, the batt voltage is at the max charge of 11.7volts.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:56 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,924 Posts
If the motor will turn easily by hand (it is not jammed in place) but won't start you choices are to trouble shoot it or send it back I think.

Jack
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:00 PM
Big-E
Joined Nov 2011
5 Posts
Thanks Jack, good sound advice. I will be getting that watt meter soon. Also have a new esc ordered and on the way. The link was very helpful as well.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:10 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
100% of my ESC's will beep signaling that the ESC is armed and ready for input from rx. If you get no beeps, the ESC is not arming. I would start looking/troubleshooting there. Perhaps post what brand that ESC is. Chances are the motor is fine.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:22 PM
Big-E
Joined Nov 2011
5 Posts
Yeah,, the esc never beeped at all, even from the very first power up of the plane, the first power up did run the motor but very sluggish and then complete shut down, however, all the control servos worked. Which online shop have you had the best luck with when buying electronics and planes?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:07 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
Yeah,, the esc never beeped at all, even from the very first power up of the plane, the first power up did run the motor but very sluggish and then complete shut down, however, all the control servos worked. Which online shop have you had the best luck with when buying electronics and planes?
I don't know where you are located, but

I get 99% of my stuff from Hobbyking, but if you are in a rush, you're better off getting it from Hobbypartz.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/detrumdynamesc.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/proton.html

I've not used the ones above, but there are good reviews on them.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:06 PM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Sounds like the ESC is bad, but the motor could have a broken wire so check all three wires. I broke a motor wire on one of my setups and it fried the ESC when the throttle was opened. The wire had broke right at were the wire goes into the soldered bullet.

Some radios have throttle trim buttons that turn off the ESC when at the wrong setting, too high. Then the ESC doesn't arm when powered up.

I like that new name for BH, funny stuff.
Al.
atone1 is offline Find More Posts by atone1
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:07 PM
admitted newbie
United States, CT, New London
Joined May 2013
13 Posts
I need help too

I recently noticed that although my servos work properly (rudder and elevator), I get nothing from the motor. There's no beep with power up. Thinking I had a bad ESC, I replaced it and still the same thing, servos are fine, nothing from the motor. I just ordered a new motor, but would like o know what others think. (btw, the battery was fresh of the charger and full)
capternie is offline Find More Posts by capternie
Old Jul 22, 2013, 06:58 PM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
MY guess is the motor has a broken winding, so bad motor.
I change out the motor first to test ESC as a bad motor winding could burn out a new esc. Just don't leave the throttle on if it doesn't turn right away.
The motor generates most of the sounds you hear when powering up.
Check the wire connections to the ESC too as per my past post in #11 above.
atone1 is offline Find More Posts by atone1
Old Aug 07, 2013, 05:15 AM
Joined Aug 2013
1 Posts
I just bought all my electronics from hobbyking. When I connected all the electronics, nothing happened. I couldn't move my servo's and motor.
Here are the parts that I bought:
-Hobby King 60A ESC
-NTM Prop Drive 28-36 2700KV / 595W
-Power HD Servo 9g/1.5kg/0.11sec
-Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 4S 25~50C Lipo Pack
-Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2)

First I connected the motor to the ESC, then the ESC to the battery, but when I did that there was a spark (is that normal?) then I plugged the bindplug and the ESC into the reciever. After that I bound the Transmitter to the reciever and removed the bindplug. But as I said earlier, nothing worked. Also my ESC never beeped.
Does anyone know what may cause my electronics to fail?
t_kouw is offline Find More Posts by t_kouw
Old Aug 07, 2013, 06:22 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atone1 View Post
MY guess is the motor has a broken winding, so bad motor.
I change out the motor first to test ESC as a bad motor winding could burn out a new esc. Just don't leave the throttle on if it doesn't turn right away.
The motor generates most of the sounds you hear when powering up.
Check the wire connections to the ESC too as per my past post in #11 above.
The motor is the only thing that can make sounds, the ESC pulses the coils to create some magnetic resonance. No motor, no sounds...

Jack