HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:05 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Why would you want to keep the plane level in a turn? That makes for a sloppy, slidy turn with the "ball" way off to one side instead of centered. You want the right wing to drop in a right turn. Matter of fact, you begin a turn in an aileron ship by doing precisely that with the ailerons. Then you use the elevator to climb through the turn and rudder to keep the plane from climbing excessively.

The early pioneers of flight used to turn level and when Berloize (sic?) adopted banked turns it was a real breakthrough.
its called a flat turn and is used to teach control, jeez have a cow why dont you.Also when a guy is flying a powered glider and taking video,he wants to keep his turns level and smooth, its not all about crank and yank ..
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:29 PM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
819 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on one of these puppies. It will be my first ARF and can't wait to get it up in the air. Does the ESC use 4.0 banana? Also can I run 3s 1300mah 30c safely and how long can I sport fly it?
Gharddog03 is online now Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:35 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
3S 1300mAh .. I am not quite sure if that will work ... Maybe you get 2min of flight time, but I believe that the weight of the battery will not meet the required CG.... People successfully reported that 3S works - but it's far from a sport flyer.

I highly suggest to get some Zippy Compact 4S 2700mAh 25C - they are cheap (about $18) and they give me about 10min of flight time with good performance including hovering.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:50 PM
Ground Pounder
Joined Nov 2012
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
its called a flat turn and is used to teach control, jeez have a cow why dont you.Also when a guy is flying a powered glider and taking video,he wants to keep his turns level and smooth, its not all about crank and yank ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
3S 1300mAh .. I am not quite sure if that will work ... Maybe you get 2min of flight time, but I believe that the weight of the battery will not meet the required CG.... People successfully reported that 3S works - but it's far from a sport flyer.

I highly suggest to get some Zippy Compact 4S 2700mAh 25C - they are cheap (about $18) and they give me about 10min of flight time with good performance including hovering.
Thanks might have to put an order soon.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:20 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,053 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I don't "crank and yank" either. That refers to turning with just the aileron and elevator and results in messy un-coordinated turns also. Rudder use when necessary is part of good flying technique.

What you describe is usually how a plane responds to rudder-only turns. The outside wing starts going faster than the inside wing and generates more lift. If you want it to stay flat you almost always have to put some opposite aileron into it. But if you don't have enough speed, this can create a tip-stall on the inside wing and create an even bigger problem.

I have to say I never felt the need to slide in a flat turn to "learn control". I suppose a KE is a flat turn of sorts, only spun 90 degrees and turning against the force of gravity.

And, thank for the permission to "have a cow". This thread isn't about powered gliders, or taking video.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:39 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I don't "crank and yank" either. That refers to turning with just the aileron and elevator and results in messy un-coordinated turns also. Rudder use when necessary is part of good flying technique.

What you describe is usually how a plane responds to rudder-only turns. The outside wing starts going faster than the inside wing and generates more lift. If you want it to stay flat you almost always have to put some opposite aileron into it. But if you don't have enough speed, this can create a tip-stall on the inside wing and create an even bigger problem.

I have to say I never felt the need to slide in a flat turn to "learn control". I suppose a KE is a flat turn of sorts, only spun 90 degrees and turning against the force of gravity.

And, thank for the permission to "have a cow". This thread isn't about powered gliders, or taking video.
Nope its about you jumping down anyone's throat that has anything to say that you dont agree with, seems to be a whole bunch of you people on these forums, that know all there is to know,and use there knowledge to belittle and beat folks down. quite sick of it myself. so stuff it.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:46 AM
Joined Dec 2010
8,053 Posts
Quote:
Nope its about you jumping down anyone's throat that has anything to say that you dont agree with, seems to be a whole bunch of you people on these forums, that know all there is to know,and use there knowledge to belittle and beat folks down. quite sick of it myself. so stuff it.
I didn't mean to jump down your throat. I didn't mean to belittle you. I didn't mean to beat you down. I am really sorry.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:57 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
I didn't mean to jump down your throat. I didn't mean to belittle you. I didn't mean to beat you down. I am really sorry.
No im sorry, you really didnt jump on me, others have for no real reason, and you got the brunt of it. No worries. by the way i love this plane,it knife edges nice and is fast. again i apologize for loosing my marbles.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:01 AM
Joined Dec 2010
8,053 Posts
Quote:
No im sorry, you really didnt jump on me, others have for no real reason, and you got the brunt of it. No worries. by the way i love this plane,it knife edges nice and is fast. again i apologize for loosing my marbles.
"Loosing my marbles" hahah that's funny.

Yeah, it's a really great deal for $120 shipped to my door. I've just got to take the time to re-align the elevator. It's incidence is out of alignment with the wing and it makes it do weird things in some maneuvers. But landings... suh-weet!
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:23 AM
Ground Pounder
Joined Nov 2012
819 Posts
6% off on NP if anyone interested.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:37 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,074 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, it's a really great deal for $120 shipped to my door. I've just got to take the time to re-align the elevator. It's incidence is out of alignment with the wing and it makes it do weird things in some maneuvers. But landings... suh-weet!
Erkq - good to see you join the thead on this one. I love this thing. I saw your note about re-aligning the elevator and you may want to add "reinforce landing gear" to that list. Even with nice landings, it will likely collapse eventually. A little basswood, epoxy, and a few more screws and you'll be good to go. Watch your control horns too - I've had a couple break on me, one midflight. Could just be mine though.

Getting pretty decent at hovering this thing. I've had it since November and am *finally* getting to a point where I'm comfortable throwing it around. Unfortunately, I know what usually happens when I start getting comfortable with a plane. I might need that discount code soon enough!

Anybody else notice a *slight* tendancy for this thing to drop a wing when pulling out of a dive, or pulling hard elevator suddenly? I've seen it happen a few times when I wasn't expecting it, but can't seem to make happen when I try. It's just enough to cause a quick heart attack before it recovers.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:30 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
code is pricepickle and is always active ... has been for 2 years now!
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:30 PM
United States, IA, Fort Madison
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
landing gear mods

will somebody show how to improve landing gear
pasantia is offline Find More Posts by pasantia
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:55 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,074 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasantia View Post
will somebody show how to improve landing gear
There are a few options. I didn't like having external support, so this is what I did.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1378

The only addition is that I ended up screwing the LG plate to the basswood after I epoxied the basswood in. Basicaly, here's the steps I'd recommend:

1) Cut the foam back about 2-3 inches back and forward of the current LG mounting hole (where that extra piece of foam goes to cover the LG bracket up once you mount it). Keep the foam, you'll use it to cover up your work.
2) Cut a piece of basswood to fit the area you just exposed. Drill holes for the existing LG bolts, and drill four additional pilot holes through the provided LG bracket (near the four corners) and into the basswood - use short wood screws for these four.
3) Epoxy a piece of Basswood (thickness is in the post below) - using longer drying epoxy will be less brittle and longer lasting).
3) I epoxied the bracket to the basswood AND screwed it in, but only because I got tired of it failing on me. You could PROBABLY get away with just screwing it in.
4) Replace the foam over the basswood and LG bracket. You may have to trim the foam a bit due to the thickness of the basswood.
5) I used Dap light spackle to fill in any gaps and then painted over it.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:56 PM
United States, IA, Fort Madison
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
There are a few options. I didn't like having external support, so this is what I did.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1378

The only addition is that I ended up screwing the LG plate to the basswood after I epoxied the basswood in. Basicaly, here's the steps I'd recommend:

1) Cut the foam back about 2-3 inches back and forward of the current LG mounting hole (where that extra piece of foam goes to cover the LG bracket up once you mount it). Keep the foam, you'll use it to cover up your work.
2) Cut a piece of basswood to fit the area you just exposed. Drill holes for the existing LG bolts, and drill four additional pilot holes through the provided LG bracket (near the four corners) and into the basswood - use short wood screws for these four.
3) Epoxy a piece of Basswood (thickness is in the post below) - using longer drying epoxy will be less brittle and longer lasting).
3) I epoxied the bracket to the basswood AND screwed it in, but only because I got tired of it failing on me. You could PROBABLY get away with just screwing it in.
4) Replace the foam over the basswood and LG bracket. You may have to trim the foam a bit due to the thickness of the basswood.
5) I used Dap light spackle to fill in any gaps and then painted over it.
thanks a lot
pasantia is offline Find More Posts by pasantia