HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
My horns have been ok. I didn't even glue them in. I did remove some of the foam under them to get them closer to the centerline of the hinge.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,450 Posts
Higher KV replacement motor for 3S lipoly

I've searched this thread to no avail and my apologies if this has been asked and answered...

I am about to assembly my Sbach but prefer to not go and purchase 4S lipolys as I have no other applications for 4S packs and have a bunch of 3S 2200-3000mAh packs that I would like to use in my Sbach. As such, I would like to swap the motor and am seeking a suitable replacement that will produce acceptable performance with my existing stash of 3S packs. By my rough calculations, a motor in the 850-900KV range should work ok.

Any recommendations for a replacement motor that will work in the Sbach with 3S lipoly packs?

Thanks!
Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
I've searched this thread to no avail and my apologies if this has been asked and answered...

I am about to assembly my Sbach but prefer to not go and purchase 4S lipolys as I have no other applications for 4S packs and have a bunch of 3S 2200-3000mAh packs that I would like to use in my Sbach. As such, I would like to swap the motor and am seeking a suitable replacement that will produce acceptable performance with my existing stash of 3S packs. By my rough calculations, a motor in the 850-900KV range should work ok.

Any recommendations for a replacement motor that will work in the Sbach with 3S lipoly packs?

Thanks!
Mark
would the stock motor not work fine with a 3s battery ? Maybe parallel two of the 2200 3s lipos ?
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
would the stock motor not work fine with a 3s battery ? Maybe parallel two of the 2200 3s lipos ?
Perhaps if you prop up? It's pretty weak on 3S, but flyable for sport flying. I ran a 3S pack on a similarly sized plane (Slick 51) and it was definitely strong enough for safe flying but nowhere near as fun as with the properly sized 4S.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,450 Posts
Precisely why I want to run a higher KV motor so I can use a standard sized prop and make similar power.

I will do some experimenting with various motors over the next few weeks.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:30 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,450 Posts
In case anyone's interested, I ended up swapping out the stock motor and prop with a Turnigy D3542/6 1000KV motor and APC 12 x 6 prop. It draws ~45 amps static at well over 500 watts with my 3S 2600mAh lipolys and will accelerate dead vertical with no problem at all.

Very happy with this setup and allows me to use my existing batteries. I may try the stock prop or even an APC 13 x 6.5 at some point but for now I am thrilled with the performance I'm getting the Turnigy motor and 12 x 6 prop.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:39 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
Quote:
In case anyone's interested, I ended up swapping out the stock motor and prop with a Turnigy D3542/6 1000KV motor and APC 12 x 6 prop. It draws ~45 amps static at well over 500 watts with my 3S 2600mAh lipolys and will accelerate dead vertical with no problem at all.

Very happy with this setup and allows me to use my existing batteries. I may try the stock prop or even an APC 13 x 6.5 at some point but for now I am thrilled with the performance I'm getting the Turnigy motor and 12 x 6 prop.

Mark
Mark - thanks for following up on this! If/when my current set up dies, I may switch out.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6,307 Posts
Quote:

Mark
The only downside may be the quantity of air flowing over the control surfaces for 3D... if you're into post-stall stuff.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:41 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,450 Posts
Given that my flying skills are woefully inadequate to provide any sort of control at or even close to stall, the 12 x 6 prop works great for me for now. The fact that my Sbach will accelerate dead vertical on 3S with this motor will keep me out of trouble and is exactly what I was seeking. The Turnigy motor is the exact same length as the stock motor and bolts right in with zero modifications, which is a BIG plus!

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Given that my flying skills are woefully inadequate to provide any sort of control at or even close to stall, the 12 x 6 prop works great for me for now. The fact that my Sbach will accelerate dead vertical on 3S with this motor will keep me out of trouble and is exactly what I was seeking. The Turnigy motor is the exact same length as the stock motor and bolts right in with zero modifications, which is a BIG plus!

Mark
Mark - have you looked into the eflite UMX Sbach 3D - it's an AWESOME little plane to, er, practice on - especially if you have a decent sized yard.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:30 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,450 Posts
I don't currently have any UMX or other micros and I'm a little afraid to take the lid off that can of worms... One of my buddies went from zero micros to a dozen micros in about 8 weeks.

The little Sbach looks pretty enticing though.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:12 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
Quote:
I don't currently have any UMX or other micros and I'm a little afraid to take the lid off that can of worms... One of my buddies went from zero micros to a dozen micros in about 8 weeks.

The little Sbach looks pretty enticing though.

Mark
Yeah, I'd like to tell you that it wouldn't happen to you, but I'd be lying. They do NOT replace your need to buy large airplanes, they simply add a whole new category on your "must have" list. The fact that you can sneak out your front door, run a few quick batteries and get some great stick time in, then get back inside before your wife and kids realize you "went flying" really makes a difference!

Speaking of the Dynam, though, I had mine out early this a.m. before work - what an awesome bird this is. I'm finally REALLY getting comfortable tossing it around. I got the best/longest hover out of her yet and am finding her to be a great 3D training platform. I still have to figure out where I like the battery the best and I need to figure out how to get more throw on my elevator and rudder with my swapped out Hi-tech servos (the arms are too short), but outside of that, she's a blast!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:23 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,450 Posts
Yes, really liking the Dynam and hoping to learn how to use a rudder with this bird. I learned to fly on two channel 2-meter gliders several years ago and then learned to fly powered aircraft with a rudder/elevator on an EasyStar and then on to flying wings which have no rudder. I now have a few 4-channel aircraft with rudders but only use the rudder to provide steering on the ground during taxi / takeoff. If I touch the rudder in flight I need to be a few mistakes high or risk re-kitting my planes with a high velocity, unplanned landing...

I guess it's time to bust out RealFlight.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:16 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Yes, really liking the Dynam and hoping to learn how to use a rudder with this bird. I learned to fly on two channel 2-meter gliders several years ago and then learned to fly powered aircraft with a rudder/elevator on an EasyStar and then on to flying wings which have no rudder. I now have a few 4-channel aircraft with rudders but only use the rudder to provide steering on the ground during taxi / takeoff. If I touch the rudder in flight I need to be a few mistakes high or risk re-kitting my planes with a high velocity, unplanned landing...

I guess it's time to bust out RealFlight.

Mark
little tip on rudder use (works for me) is say i want to turn right and keep plane level,i then have to give just a touch of left aileron to keep level if not the right wing will drop. Also a snap roll using rudder and aileron is VERY quick on this baby !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
little tip on rudder use (works for me) is say i want to turn right and keep plane level,i then have to give just a touch of left aileron to keep level if not the right wing will drop. Also a snap roll using rudder and aileron is VERY quick on this baby !
Why would you want to keep the plane level in a turn? That makes for a sloppy, slidy turn with the "ball" way off to one side instead of centered. You want the right wing to drop in a right turn. Matter of fact, you begin a turn in an aileron ship by doing precisely that with the ailerons. Then you use the elevator to climb through the turn and rudder to keep the plane from climbing excessively.

The early pioneers of flight used to turn level and when Berloize (sic?) adopted banked turns it was a real breakthrough.