HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:24 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
I had a recent mishap caught on tape as well.

I store my planes without the wingspars installed so I can quickly remove the wings for transport and push in the spars at field. This Sbach fits in the back of my SUV without the wings being removed so idiot me I took it direct from my wall and into the back of my car forgetting there is no wingspar installed...

Well here's the kicker, first few minutes in the air I knew something was wrong as I could see there was a ton of wing flex and brought her down, but instead of looking for the spar, I just tightened the wing screws more and put her back up in the air ... and down she came.

I'm not thinking it was very repairable. Note to self - wingspars are not there for looks. I guess the fact that you can't see them is kind of a give away, eh?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:33 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post

I'm not thinking it was very repairable. Note to self - wingspars are not there for looks. I guess the fact that you can't see them is kind of a give away, eh?
I got lucky, even though it smacked hard, only the cowl shattered, the rest was easy to repair with glue and no need for boiling water as none of the foam smooshed! The nose cone and motor firewall foam took the brunt of the damage, as well as the landing gear ripping off and of coz the cowl shattered.

Less than an hour of gorilla gluing the firewall, CA gluing the SFG part, elevator part and the clean split fuze and now just waiting for some cowls to come in.

I will FOREVER never store my planes without spar installed .... NEVER

Here's the vid, though it's still being edited.
Dynam Sbach 342 Crash without Wing Spar (1 min 59 sec)
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:40 PM
Fort Collins, CO.
Joined Sep 2002
457 Posts
Ive been flying my sbach for a few days now, and will have to replace the rudder servo,
its stripped from a not so great landing.

I have my cg at the 80mm point and when flying it seems to want to drop the nose in the turns badly.
cant seem to trim elevator out for level flight, maybe elevator servo problem. (not touchy)
inverted flying is almost hands off level.
tried to pull into a hover but she wants to pull hard right (nose).
so anyway it flys ok, just some servo and trim issues to sort out.
flybye is offline Find More Posts by flybye
Last edited by flybye; Dec 08, 2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
You will do well to replace both of those servos. Once I replaced mine my s Bach flies like it's on rails. It hovers very very well and is a joy to fly. Beware if you replace your servos you may find that the arms on the new ones are not as long as the arms on the stock ones So you will have to move your push rods up on the control horns. At this point I couldn't be more pleased with this airplane. I did notice that I have to keep my rudder trimmed to the right to offset the torque.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybye View Post
Ive been flying my sbach for a few days now, and will have to replace the rudder servo,
its stripped from a not so great landing.

I have my cg at the 80mm point and when flying it seems to want to drop the nose in the turns badly.
cant seem to trim elevator out for level flight, maybe elevator servo problem. (not touchy)
inverted flying is almost hands off level.
tried to pull into a hover but she wants to pull hard right (nose).
so anyway it flys ok, just some servo and trim issues to sort out.
i put these in and so far are working great,very responsive and center well. http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=254
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Man, I'm loving this thing. The more I fly it, the more I like it. I got a few passable hovers this weekend and decided to bite the bullet and fly on high rates - HOLY COW. Apparently I also forgot to program expo into my high rate settings What a blast.

Unfortunately, my landing gear mod failed me. The basswood did fine, but the Epoxy didn't hold the LG bracket well enough and what would have otherwise been a nice landing and roll out stopped a bit short with the wheels pointing up towards the cockpit. I think four small screws and a little less brittle epoxy mix will seal the deal.

Did another video from the (WWII) Pilot's perspective. I'll upload for your tummy roiling pleasure in a couple days.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:06 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
wow look at this price !! at nitroplanes its on sale then use Special12 for coupon and bam !
$124.40Subtotal
-$14.93Discount
Shipping & Tax not included
$109.47Total
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:32 PM
AMA 1034020
United States, AL, Alexander City
Joined Jul 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
I got lucky, even though it smacked hard, only the cowl shattered, the rest was easy to repair with glue and no need for boiling water as none of the foam smooshed! The nose cone and motor firewall foam took the brunt of the damage, as well as the landing gear ripping off and of coz the cowl shattered.

Less than an hour of gorilla gluing the firewall, CA gluing the SFG part, elevator part and the clean split fuze and now just waiting for some cowls to come in.

I will FOREVER never store my planes without spar installed .... NEVER

Here's the vid, though it's still being edited.
http://youtu.be/VsFD5--Wy48
Lol, good stuff right there!
ATCH is offline Find More Posts by ATCH
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Flew mine again this weekend. Got the LG screwed into the basswood and no problems with LG collapses now. Getting better at hovering it, but I think my CG is way to far forward. I barely have the battery on the stock velcro as is - I think I'm going to need to build a strap. where are the rest of you putting your batt?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
429 Posts
Two

Which airplane is the better of the two,they look the same.I bought the hobby king one.Same airplane?
Fired Up is offline Find More Posts by Fired Up
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fired Up View Post
Which airplane is the better of the two,they look the same.I bought the hobby king one.Same airplane?
What Hobby King one? Hobby King has a ton of different Sbachs. You talking about the 54" EPO one? No, that's not the same as the Dynam 49" one. Is the HK one you got a 49" plane?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Apr 2012
429 Posts
Airplane

the wing span is 55,with a70 anp speed control,4250 800kv,two standard servos and 2 9g.15/7prop.Color orange and black
Fired Up is offline Find More Posts by Fired Up
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fired Up View Post
the wing span is 55,with a70 anp speed control,4250 800kv,two standard servos and 2 9g.15/7prop.Color orange and black
No, that's not the same as the Sbach. It sounds nice, but I'm always suspect of HK's plane's flying characteristics. 15/7 prop sounds a little steep for an 800kv motor.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:24 PM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
656 Posts
I'm ready to pull the trigger on one. So are the horns still an issue?
Gharddog03 is online now Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
I'm ready to pull the trigger on one. So are the horns still an issue?
Yes, though they do screw in now and aren't just glued in. They are still brittle and I ended up having to replace both of the rear control surface horns with new ones.

The LG is still an issue - see the mod I did, it has held great since. do it early and you'll have fewer repairs/scars later. The servos - rudder/elevator are also likely to strip on you, but you can get a few flights out of them so you can take your chances if you want (I did).

Once you get that straightened out, it's a fantastic plane.
RCG Plus Member