HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Hey all -

I was a staunch warbird guy up until a week ago when I bought the new Eflite UMX Sbach 3D. That little plane has changed my perspective a bit. WOW - if you are looking for a fun little bird that looks gorgeous, check out the thread.

Anyway, i was about to pull the trigger on the new PZ Corsair, but like my little Sbach so much I'm considering the Dynam Sbach. I've read the first 20 pages of this thread, realized there was a second version, and then read the last 20 or so pages. Because I skipped so much of the middle, I'm asking for a little help. From what I've read, there are a few things I should plan on doing when I get this thing. I've tried to compile them for your feedback (absolutely critical, nice-to-have, don't do unless you have an issue) and for others who are considering the same thing to save them a bit of reading.

I'd love to get a few reactions (I know, opinions will vary, so no need for concensus) on: a) Is there anything I'm missing. b) Are there anythings listed below that were issues for V1 but are no longer issues and c) What is absolutely necessary to do before flying. I should probably add that I'm a sport pilot/warbird guy who's just getting into 3D, so I'm not going to be wringing this thing out for a while. I also really don't want to dig a hole with it because of something that I could have replaced but didn't.

Thanks in advance.

1) Check/replace Hinges: "I put blenderm tape across parts of the hinges as a backup, because I don't trust those molded-in EPO hinges (have had one on another plane come off before). Some people have been cutting off the control surfaces and rehinging, but I didn't want to go to the trouble."

2) Order extra cowl: I reinforced the inside of the paper-thin cowl with a combination of strapping tape and packing tape, HAS ANYONE CONSIDERED GOING TO A 3D PRINTER like "shapeways" http://www.shapeways.com/shops/av8rrc?s=0 ? Not sure if this is a possibilty, but it seems like, if this thing is paper thin, then a replicated one might be better. yes, it would throw off CG, but that is probably workable.

3) Check/reglue/tighten motor mount and screws: "I reinforced around the motor mount area with strapping tape, since there have been problems reported with it tearing out, "

4) Secure battery and reciever in case the canopy goes independant. "I added a securing strap to the battery"

5) Check servo mounting plates: "I put some epoxy around the R/E servo mount plate attachment points,"

6) Check/refasten/replace control horns: Can the existing ones be salvaged and better attached? If not, any particular economical suggestions?

6) Tighten the collet/spinner: "I tossed out the supplied collet and spinner and instead use an E-flite bullet-nose collet," How big an issue is this really?

7) Secure canopy with either more magnets, more velcro, or rubber band: "I use a rubber band to help hold the back of the battery lid on. I have had the lid fly off inflight twice. Some people have installed extra magnets."

Oh, and anyone know a discount code that will provide a bigger discount than "Pricepickle?"
i have replaced NOTHING except one bad servo on elevator,horns are fine,i use velcro to secure canopy and also wings. Have had no problems with any electronics, and flown it a bunch,also crashed it twice and had to put in new hinges
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:50 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,075 Posts
Thanks FF - was going to ask about gluing the CF rod in the wings or not - instruction vid mentions both options. What do you mean velcroing the wings?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Thanks FF - was going to ask about gluing the CF rod in the wings or not - instruction vid mentions both options. What do you mean velcroing the wings?
sorry got a might confused there is no need to glue or velcro wings on sbach after i wrecked it once i did put a small tack of CA glue on front and back of each wing.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:46 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
killerplanes.com version?

I'm considering dropping an additional $90 on the "crashproof" version http://www.killerplanes.com/product/...p-or-rtf-24ghz

The main purpose would be to survive high-speed crashes. Does anyone have experience that the original plane can survive such crashes? I figure the prop will get trashed no matter what, but it would be nice to have wings and fuse survive.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, NC, Bear Grass
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
I am curious to know what "crashproofing" involves.
melloyello is offline Find More Posts by melloyello
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
Build it. Don't fly it. That's crash proofing.
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
Build it. Don't fly it. That's crash proofing.
LOL! I know people like that! Well said.
jasturkey is offline Find More Posts by jasturkey
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:43 PM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
hey mello, you get that thing flyn yet? Or are you waitn on a esc?
jasturkey is offline Find More Posts by jasturkey
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:36 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Do they wrap it in bubble wrap? I don't get what they could do to make it survive high speed crashes. I think foam has changed peoples expectations of the abuse a plane should take. If you are crashing that much then you need to get some easier to fly planes and practice a lot more.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
Do they wrap it in bubble wrap? I don't get what they could do to make it survive high speed crashes. I think foam has changed peoples expectations of the abuse a plane should take. If you are crashing that much then you need to get some easier to fly planes and practice a lot more.
all they do is put in a bunch of CF like making a skeleton around the outside of the plane.. And yes if your crashing often,slow it down,tune down the plane by using end points and expo untill you get the hang of it.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:43 AM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
Do you guys recommend buying from nitro planes? I've heard a lot of bad things about them, though I regularly go through hobby king. Grayson hobby has it costs about $20 more. worth it?
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.michael.2468 View Post
Do you guys recommend buying from nitro planes? I've heard a lot of bad things about them, though I regularly go through hobby king. Grayson hobby has it costs about $20 more. worth it?
i have bought three planes from nitroplanes no problems so far, now Grayson is way way faster on shipping and there customer service is great.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
I have done it a few times. Carbon fiber rods drilled into the plane coated with gorilla glue. Makes the airframe much stiffer but adds weight. Plane reacts slower but does not break as easily on impact. Good for a beginner but if you do really,really crash it, much harder to repair with crashproofing. You end up buying another plane. I quit using it and just try to keep improving my skills and don't crash. Sometimes easier said than done.
Mr Oz is offline Find More Posts by Mr Oz
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:38 PM
Philippines
Joined Jul 2008
1 Posts
I hav a dynam sbach 342 and i just loved how much it flew straight out of the box. it was 3d capable and i was able to hover the bird without any modifactions. its a good glider on landing esp when you approach headwind and youve got lots of power to recover from a stall which is so rare..... such a beautiful plane. the only thing i could comment is that you shouldnt follow the manuals direction of putting the battery inside its compartment coz CG is way off. the 2.2mah 4s batt is almost located beneath the passenger seat of the cabin. GREAT plane and LOVING it every flight!
Iceman72 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman72
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:14 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman72 View Post
I hav a dynam sbach 342 and i just loved how much it flew straight out of the box. it was 3d capable and i was able to hover the bird without any modifactions. its a good glider on landing esp when you approach headwind and youve got lots of power to recover from a stall which is so rare..... such a beautiful plane. the only thing i could comment is that you shouldnt follow the manuals direction of putting the battery inside its compartment coz CG is way off. the 2.2mah 4s batt is almost located beneath the passenger seat of the cabin. GREAT plane and LOVING it every flight!
That's really good to hear, since I ordered one last week. Hoping to have it by this weekend! Question for anyone who has the sky lipos - what charging plug and balancing adapter will I need? I use a hyperion eos0720i charger.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings