HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Man oh man !! I have got to get the sbach out and fly !! Been two weeks since i got to fly anything ! did get the V400 heli out today and hovered around some. But i am having withdrawals !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone found a canopy replacement for the sbach because mine got lost in a blender
Hucker Lover is offline Find More Posts by Hucker Lover
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucker Lover View Post
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone found a canopy replacement for the sbach because mine got lost in a blender
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ioam0t92ie1g52
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:15 PM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
hey guys, i've been looking at this plane or a 3dhs 41" edge for my first 3D/aerobatic plane. i'm going to scratch build a lil'ripper first to practice with over the winter, but this plane and the 41" edge are about in my price range of $200ish (with HK setup in the 3dhs plane of course lol) in the spring. my biggest concern is dealing with the covered wood plane and having to completely assemble it... it sure is nice to just pull everything out of a box and slap it together like with this epo guy. yet as i've heard there's nothing like real balsa planes... so i'm not sure what to do here, i'm usually one to go for the high quality now and save in the end, but from all the awesome reviews i've read about this plane i'd really be willing to give it a shot. in your opinion what would you do? if it helps, i'm going to college in a year, and the budget doesn't stretch very far for RC stuff lol...
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.michael.2468 View Post
hey guys, i've been looking at this plane or a 3dhs 41" edge for my first 3D/aerobatic plane. i'm going to scratch build a lil'ripper first to practice with over the winter, but this plane and the 41" edge are about in my price range of $200ish (with HK setup in the 3dhs plane of course lol) in the spring. my biggest concern is dealing with the covered wood plane and having to completely assemble it... it sure is nice to just pull everything out of a box and slap it together like with this epo guy. yet as i've heard there's nothing like real balsa planes... so i'm not sure what to do here, i'm usually one to go for the high quality now and save in the end, but from all the awesome reviews i've read about this plane i'd really be willing to give it a shot. in your opinion what would you do? if it helps, i'm going to college in a year, and the budget doesn't stretch very far for RC stuff lol...
get the foam one ! Balsa is very nice but when it hits the dirt its all over, with this foam dynam some glue will get it back in the air.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:36 PM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
haha ain't that the truth... i know this thing probably can't preform on the same level as a 3dhs plane but for 3D is it pretty good? i'm not planning on any super insane 3D at the moment but i'd like to know if it can handle it before i buy it. from all the videos i've seen of it, it seems super clean, powerful, and stable.

how are the servos that come with it? i've heard that they've upgraded the tail and elevator to mini sized servos, is that true? and is there any need to replace the servo with some digitals?
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.michael.2468 View Post
haha ain't that the truth... i know this thing probably can't preform on the same level as a 3dhs plane but for 3D is it pretty good? i'm not planning on any super insane 3D at the moment but i'd like to know if it can handle it before i buy it. from all the videos i've seen of it, it seems super clean, powerful, and stable.

how are the servos that come with it? i've heard that they've upgraded the tail and elevator to mini sized servos, is that true? and is there any need to replace the servo with some digitals?
I believe i did have to replace the elevator servo, but that is only problem i have had, i also had to tune this baby down on controls using expo,100% DR and about 30% expo,it is very touchy but if you tune it down to much it get mushy
Last edited by fastfwd; Oct 21, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, NC, Bear Grass
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
I am still having problems w/ my motor/esc. Since I burned the motor up I got a new motor. I put that in and the esc smoked immediately. I put a new esc in this morning and the motor worked for about 5 seconds then stopped. Everytime I try to start the motor it just stutters and kinda rocks side to side. I have calibrated it to the throttle stick and went through the whole esc programming to make sure everything was defaulted. I am starting to think that when I put the new motor in and the esc smoked that it somehow messed up the new motor. Anyone else have any thoughts or some way I can troubleshoot this b4 I buy another motor?
melloyello is offline Find More Posts by melloyello
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:13 AM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
I am still having problems w/ my motor/esc. Since I burned the motor up I got a new motor. I put that in and the esc smoked immediately. I put a new esc in this morning and the motor worked for about 5 seconds then stopped. Everytime I try to start the motor it just stutters and kinda rocks side to side. I have calibrated it to the throttle stick and went through the whole esc programming to make sure everything was defaulted. I am starting to think that when I put the new motor in and the esc smoked that it somehow messed up the new motor. Anyone else have any thoughts or some way I can troubleshoot this b4 I buy another motor?
What esc did you put in? you said you just made sure the esc was defaulted? It sounds to me like you might try different timing settings on the esc. I had a similar problem on my f16 project that i have. I smoked a motor and when i put a new one in, it wouldn't go to full throttle until after about 1 min. of running. i messed around and messed around with the esc and all the existing wiring even resouldering all my connections, i even put in a new esc and still had the same" no full throttle" problem. i ended up buying a different esc and the plane has been fine ever since. i don't know what the problem was to this day, but in the end the only thing i could come up with was that i had a bad esc out of the box when i initially changed the esc after i replaced the motor. i wouldn't replace the motor just yet. try the timming settings on the esc, if that doesn't work i would try a different esc.
jasturkey is offline Find More Posts by jasturkey
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
when motor stutters like that usually means esc is fried,needs at least 60amp esc.also did you wire up your own battery ? i have fried an esc due to wiring battery wrong,
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
I put in a brand new stock esc from nitroplanes. It spun up for a few seconds then started to stutter. I am using one of the same four batteries i have been using since i got the plane. I will try another esc i guess. Hopefully i can get this one warrantied from nitroplanes.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
I put in a brand new stock esc from nitroplanes. It spun up for a few seconds then started to stutter. I am using one of the same four batteries i have been using since i got the plane. I will try another esc i guess. Hopefully i can get this one warrantied from nitroplanes.
yes they will replace it, there hasn't been a nose crash where motor got punched ?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
yes they will replace it, there hasn't been a nose crash where motor got punched ?
I hope so. It was installed and then I calibrated the throttle and tested it.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
I hope so. It was installed and then I calibrated the throttle and tested it.
I had one go out on my dynam sonic 185 while it was in the air, they sent me a new one, installed it and it actually smoked when i plugged in lipo, so they sent me another one, and it is still in plane and works fine.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:38 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Thinking of purchasing

Hey all -

I was a staunch warbird guy up until a week ago when I bought the new Eflite UMX Sbach 3D. That little plane has changed my perspective a bit. WOW - if you are looking for a fun little bird that looks gorgeous, check out the thread.

Anyway, i was about to pull the trigger on the new PZ Corsair, but like my little Sbach so much I'm considering the Dynam Sbach. I've read the first 20 pages of this thread, realized there was a second version, and then read the last 20 or so pages. Because I skipped so much of the middle, I'm asking for a little help. From what I've read, there are a few things I should plan on doing when I get this thing. I've tried to compile them for your feedback (absolutely critical, nice-to-have, don't do unless you have an issue) and for others who are considering the same thing to save them a bit of reading.

I'd love to get a few reactions (I know, opinions will vary, so no need for concensus) on: a) Is there anything I'm missing. b) Are there anythings listed below that were issues for V1 but are no longer issues and c) What is absolutely necessary to do before flying. I should probably add that I'm a sport pilot/warbird guy who's just getting into 3D, so I'm not going to be wringing this thing out for a while. I also really don't want to dig a hole with it because of something that I could have replaced but didn't.

Thanks in advance.

1) Check/replace Hinges: "I put blenderm tape across parts of the hinges as a backup, because I don't trust those molded-in EPO hinges (have had one on another plane come off before). Some people have been cutting off the control surfaces and rehinging, but I didn't want to go to the trouble."

2) Order extra cowl: I reinforced the inside of the paper-thin cowl with a combination of strapping tape and packing tape, HAS ANYONE CONSIDERED GOING TO A 3D PRINTER like "shapeways" http://www.shapeways.com/shops/av8rrc?s=0 ? Not sure if this is a possibilty, but it seems like, if this thing is paper thin, then a replicated one might be better. yes, it would throw off CG, but that is probably workable.

3) Check/reglue/tighten motor mount and screws: "I reinforced around the motor mount area with strapping tape, since there have been problems reported with it tearing out, "

4) Secure battery and reciever in case the canopy goes independant. "I added a securing strap to the battery"

5) Check servo mounting plates: "I put some epoxy around the R/E servo mount plate attachment points,"

6) Check/refasten/replace control horns: Can the existing ones be salvaged and better attached? If not, any particular economical suggestions?

6) Tighten the collet/spinner: "I tossed out the supplied collet and spinner and instead use an E-flite bullet-nose collet," How big an issue is this really?

7) Secure canopy with either more magnets, more velcro, or rubber band: "I use a rubber band to help hold the back of the battery lid on. I have had the lid fly off inflight twice. Some people have installed extra magnets."

Oh, and anyone know a discount code that will provide a bigger discount than "Pricepickle?"
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings