SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:38 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
After pushing my motor back into the fuse the other day I glued the motor mount back and flew w/o the cowl. Anything 1/2 throttle and under would result in the plane going into about a 45 degree dive. I trimmed the elevator for this and then anything above 1/2 throttle would result in an almost vertical climb. I think maybe I didn't get the motor at the correct angle when I glued the mount on. I think the motor may have had 2 or 3 degrees downthrust stock but I have around 6 degrees. I think 1/2 throttle is pulling the nose down b/c of the angle making me have to trim the elevator to maintain level flight. Then when I go over 1/2 throttle the plane has no choice but to climb b/c the elevator is already angled. Does this make sense to anyone? I am thinking I need to shim the motor to 2 or 3 degrees downthrust and try that. I had no pitch problems b4 the motor incident. All control surfaces are set in the same position as b4 and I am keeping the same cg. Thrust angle is the only thing I can think of that could be wrong here.
Yes your down angle is to much,3 deg would be about right.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, NC, Bear Grass
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Yes your down angle is to much,3 deg would be about right.
Set it at 3 deg down and 2 deg right. Flies like it did stock, maybe even better. Ran 2 batteries through it. I was able to trim it around half throttle and it will climb under full throttle but not straight up like it was doing b4. Much more predictable. I even got the courage up to flip the D/R switches and try my hand at some faster rolls and loops and even got her to hover for a bit. That's going to take some work though. Probably some of the easiest landings I have had came today.
melloyello is offline Find More Posts by melloyello
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:01 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,176 Posts
Finally got my sbach flying amazing again, cg needed to move a touch forward with my new lipps they were 20g lighter than my old 2200s. Silly me need to always check cg when using new lipos.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
I am having nothing but bad luck. Landed my plane and went to pick it up. I accidentally bumped the left stick and the motor spun up and caught a long piece of grass and let's just say the grass won. Big puff of smoke out the front. The motor is toast and I am trying to decide which one I want to replace it with. Which would you recommend out of these two??
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_770kv_.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/96m604-bi...520-770kv.html

I am leaning towards the Turnigy b/c I have had no problems from Turnigy ever and it's cheaper. I may have to wait a couple of weeks to get it but that's ok.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,299 Posts
Quote:
I am having nothing but bad luck. Landed my plane and went to pick it up. I accidentally bumped the left stick and the motor spun up and caught a long piece of grass and let's just say the grass won. Big puff of smoke out the front. The motor is toast and I am trying to decide which one I want to replace it with. Which would you recommend out of these two??
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_770kv_.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/96m604-bi...520-770kv.html

I am leaning towards the Turnigy b/c I have had no problems from Turnigy ever and it's cheaper. I may have to wait a couple of weeks to get it but that's ok.
Grass smoked that motor ?? wow ! it says it is good up to 1000 watts and 70 amps ? anyway here is a replacement http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...6m-p-1349.html

Sure its not the ESC that smoked ? I have seen one of the dynam esc,s smoke just due to a motor having gravel stuck in it and wouldn't move freely
Last edited by fastfwd; Oct 01, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Grass smoked that motor ?? wow ! it says it is good up to 1000 watts and 70 amps ? anyway here is a replacement http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...6m-p-1349.html

Sure its not the ESC that smoked ? I have seen one of the dynam esc,s smoke just due to a motor having gravel stuck in it and wouldn't move freely
Yep, the motor is hard to turn and just looking at the windings a bunch of wires are black and it stinks. I land on a dirt road that has some tall grass and weeds along the side. The front of the plane was sitting in the tall grass when it stopped. I went to pick it up and accidentally hit the left stick. A long piece of grass/weed got tangled in the prop and then came the smoke. It probably would have been ok if the grass would have ripped off but it didn't and by the time I returned the stick to zero it was way too late.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:57 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
you need a throttle cut switch. When you land, flip the switch and you can't accidentally power up. What radio do you use?
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
you need a throttle cut switch. When you land, flip the switch and you can't accidentally power up. What radio do you use?
You know I never thought about using a throttle cut switch. I use the FlySky 9x. Guess I will have to start using that.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:14 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,125 Posts
Find the Turnigy 9x for Dummies post in the radio section and I think you'll find out how to program or setup the throttle cut switch. I even figured out how to plug in each aileron servo to it's own channel!
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
Find the Turnigy 9x for Dummies post in the radio section and I think you'll find out how to program or setup the throttle cut switch. I even figured out how to plug in each aileron servo to it's own channel!
As soon as I read Crucials reply I went and setup the tx for all of my planes. It's not exactly hard to figure out. Go to "throttle hold, switch to active and 0%" and it's done.
I have been wanting to split my aileron servos too but they seem to work just fine as they are. Maybe if I get the urge to use some flaperons I will get around to it.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:36 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
Yes, with any aircraft. It has saved several of my fingers (or perhaps one finger, several times) .
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, TX, Farwell
Joined Jul 2007
24 Posts
Man i love my sbach such a great flyer. this is my 2nd one first one had a bad inverted flight at low level and didnt survive. but 2nd one is flying strong on the stock esc and motor from the first plane. only mods ive done is mount the landing gear to some thin ply and changed out rudder end elevator servos to hitec mgs. at about 25 flights on the second airframe and cant wait to get more.
jwf1999 is offline Find More Posts by jwf1999
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:34 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
My throttle cut is on the top right corner switch for fast and easy access but I dunno if that is standard or not. I set the cut switch up for all of my larger planes. I also have second switch set to Off, Low idle, High idle so both switches have to be hit before it can spin up. The low idle stops timing related motor chugging and makes for very sweet and consistent landings. The high idle is useless but what else am I gonna do with all these 3 position switches?

SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
So, it appears that not only did my motor burn up but so did the esc. So, I went to nitroplanes.com to get a new esc. Seeing that the stocker was $35 I decided to see what else they have to offer. They have the same esc listed in a different section but what's up with these prices?
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dye-1017.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dye-1017-50a-esc.html
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,299 Posts
Quote:
So, it appears that not only did my motor burn up but so did the esc. So, I went to nitroplanes.com to get a new esc. Seeing that the stocker was $35 I decided to see what else they have to offer. They have the same esc listed in a different section but what's up with these prices?
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dye-1017.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dye-1017-50a-esc.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...to_79_Amp.html I been getting batteries and esc motors ect from hobby king, just make sure your in the USA warehouse, never had any trouble with quality of them. And prices are sweet !