SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:29 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
I think it's worth $124. I don't remember what I paid for mine though.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:30 AM
West Palm Beach , Fl
Joined Dec 2003
68 Posts
Sbach 342

Try Grayson hobbies. Price $139 but shipping is very reasonable. Great flyer
jetflyr is offline Find More Posts by jetflyr
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:57 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
I see NitroP has the Sback on sale for $124. 1250mm, ARF version

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8945-sbach342-arf.html

Is that a good price? They claim regular price is $179

Also, is there a post with a good summary of recommended mods? I have not found one yet.

thanks!
I bought mine for $133 ($152 shipped). Then they lowered the price to $124 practically the next day. Their so-called "regular" prices are a bare-faced lie. There is nothing "regular" about it when they have never, and will never, actually charge those prices. Even Horizon Hobby dot-com plays that phony-"regular"-price-that-never-actually-exists deception game.

But unlike Horizon Hobby's relatively steady prices, it's really aggravating the way Nitro constantly manipulates their prices up and down and back and forth. Their prices are moving target. For example, I was about to pull the trigger on the 70mm F/A-18 for $168. But I wanted to wait and see if it would be affected by the upcoming Labor Day weekend sale. It was affected all right -- the holiday "sale" price was $188 -- twenty dollars MORE than what it was just before the holiday weekend! So I didn't buy it, hoping that it would go back down to $168 after the so-called "sale" (yeah right) was over. But guess what? After that the price went up AGAIN to $239! So the heck with it, I'm not buying it.

Some of the mods referred to earlier in this thread do not necessarily apply, because the plane was revised after the initial version (e.g. with bigger elevator and rudder servos and better control horns with backplates). On mine, this is what I did:

1) I put blenderm tape across parts of the hinges as a backup, because I don't trust those molded-in EPO hinges (have had one on another plane come off before). Some people have been cutting off the control surfaces and rehinging, but I didn't want to go to the trouble.

2) I reinforced the inside of the paper-thin cowl with a combination of strapping tape and packing tape,

3) I reinforced around the motor mount area with strapping tape, since there have been problems reported with it tearing out,

4) I added a securing strap to the battery,

5) I put some epoxy around the R/E servo mount plate attachment points,

6) I tossed out the supplied collet and spinner and instead use an E-flite bullet-nose collet,

7) I use a rubber band to help hold the back of the battery lid on. I have had the lid fly off inflight twice. Some people have installed extra magnets.

Some people have reinforced the main landing gear mount area (it's obviously not very strong), but I land on a hard-surface runway not grass, and this plane is really easy to land gently, so I haven't found that to be necessary. I've got 27 flights on mine (including two this morning), and still going strong.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Last edited by herk1; Sep 21, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, NC, Bear Grass
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
I see NitroP has the Sback on sale for $124. 1250mm, ARF version

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8945-sbach342-arf.html

Is that a good price? They claim regular price is $179

Also, is there a post with a good summary of recommended mods? I have not found one yet.

thanks!
That's a good price especially if you can get the free shipping. Looks like you can't get that at this time though. Shipping will be $30. You can get a 6% discount by using the coupon code "pricepickle" though.
melloyello is offline Find More Posts by melloyello
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
118 Posts
1st flight with mine the motor ripped right off the front of the plane about 50ft up. Hit the ground pretty hard, at least the pieces were big enough to glue back together. I think I'm about done with Dynam planes, spend a few more dollars for quality and you are money ahead in the long run. Oh and replace the POS servos before you even fly a dynam plane, I have the pile of busted planes to show for that. Matter a fact I think I'm gonna go get my lawnmower and run over all my POS Dynam planes.
Mr Oz is offline Find More Posts by Mr Oz
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:19 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oz View Post
Matter a fact I think I'm gonna go get my lawnmower and run over all my POS Dynam planes.
Pics please!

SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
10 Posts
Dynam planes

Mr Oz ,Im with you brother,these dynams are junk.. New to the hobby & not knowing I bought several dynam planes.. motors fly off ,landing gear inop,servos are crap...canopy flys off ..but I must say they do package them nice...
TOMMY GOO is offline Find More Posts by TOMMY GOO
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:15 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Thanks for the nice list of mods, and the warning.
Yes, I agree that Dynam is "uneven" quality (i.e. mostly poor). I'm actually thinking about going to Multiplex in the future. Much more expensive, but I spend too much time repairing and upgrading now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
I bought mine for $133 ($152 shipped). Then they lowered the price to $124 practically the next day. Their so-called "regular" prices are a bare-faced lie. There is nothing "regular" about it when they have never, and will never, actually charge those prices. Even Horizon Hobby dot-com plays that phony-"regular"-price-that-never-actually-exists deception game.

But unlike Horizon Hobby's relatively steady prices, it's really aggravating the way Nitro constantly manipulates their prices up and down and back and forth. Their prices are moving target. For example, I was about to pull the trigger on the 70mm F/A-18 for $168. But I wanted to wait and see if it would be affected by the upcoming Labor Day weekend sale. It was affected all right -- the holiday "sale" price was $188 -- twenty dollars MORE than what it was just before the holiday weekend! So I didn't buy it, hoping that it would go back down to $168 after the so-called "sale" (yeah right) was over. But guess what? After that the price went up AGAIN to $239! So the heck with it, I'm not buying it.

Some of the mods referred to earlier in this thread do not necessarily apply, because the plane was revised after the initial version (e.g. with bigger elevator and rudder servos and better control horns with backplates). On mine, this is what I did:

1) I put blenderm tape across parts of the hinges as a backup, because I don't trust those molded-in EPO hinges (have had one on another plane come off before). Some people have been cutting off the control surfaces and rehinging, but I didn't want to go to the trouble.

2) I reinforced the inside of the paper-thin cowl with a combination of strapping tape and packing tape,

3) I reinforced around the motor mount area with strapping tape, since there have been problems reported with it tearing out,

4) I added a securing strap to the battery,

5) I put some epoxy around the R/E servo mount plate attachment points,

6) I tossed out the supplied collet and spinner and instead use an E-flite bullet-nose collet,

7) I use a rubber band to help hold the back of the battery lid on. I have had the lid fly off inflight twice. Some people have installed extra magnets.

Some people have reinforced the main landing gear mount area (it's obviously not very strong), but I land on a hard-surface runway not grass, and this plane is really easy to land gently, so I haven't found that to be necessary. I've got 27 flights on mine (including two this morning), and still going strong.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
118 Posts
Oh and don't forget to buy hotglue by the case The Parkzone planes I have are soooooooo much better. I just bought 3 Twisted Hobbies planes and they are awesome!! I'm done with Dynam, just wish I had the money back I wasted on those planes!! Here is my pile of POS Dynam planes 90% were electronic failure...servo's etc!
Mr Oz is offline Find More Posts by Mr Oz
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
10 Posts
Dynam

WOW Mr Oz you sure do have quit a collection there, 90% electronic failure,was there alcohol involved??? Thats alot of planes,I see a pattern here...
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
10 Posts
Mr Oz after looking at those wrecked plane ,it seems to me that they looked highly modified ,wings look cut off ,different motor mounts& bigger engines...Is this true???
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:19 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
You could buy the dynam planes and replace the electronics with better stuff and still be ahead money wise compared to buying all parkzone or twisted hobbies stuff.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:21 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,220 Posts
Someone must have some serious bad karma. My Dynam pitts was my first large plane purchase (well large to me) and after more than 70 flights I'm still on the stock motor, still using the stock aileron servos, still on the stock esc.

Seriously your motor mount came off? Well that has been addressed many times in this and other threads, do a touch of research on ur birds and with less than $30 you can turn a $130 plane into something better than a $250 plane.

The only thing ic beter about Parkzone than Dynam is being able to go to my lhs to buy parts, but that not much of a plus for someone who doesn't crash a bunch and piles up the broken planes instead of fixing them.

Seriously seeing that pile saddens me, like seeing a pile of dead puppies because the owner niglected or mistreated them.

Gets some gorilla glue and some servos and revive those puppies!
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:27 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,709 Posts
Yeah the motor mount thing was mentioned plenty of times in this thread. And every model I've ever had has needed some tweaks here and there. Bottom line: if the box on this Sbach had said "Parkzone" on it, it could have fooled me. The foam quality is excellent and the plane flies well. Included electronics are a roll of the dice with all the manufacturers. If you don't want to roll the dice, then buy bare airframe and equip it yourself.

Well, funny thing happened today. I posted just yesterday about Nitro's prices constantly going up and down like a yo-yo, and how I gave up on one plane that they jacked the price on twice in a row recently. Guess what? Today that same plane's price changed yet again (for the third time this month); down over 50 bucks from what it was yesterday. So it's back down to what I consider it to be worth and I snagged one. Nitro sure puts a lot of effort into manipulating the prices on most of their stuff. Do they have somebody who works full-time at price-changing....or do they have computer software that just automatically makes random price changes on random products on a frequent basis, to keep customers on their toes? Unbelievable.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Last edited by herk1; Sep 22, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oz View Post
Oh and don't forget to buy hotglue by the case The Parkzone planes I have are soooooooo much better. I just bought 3 Twisted Hobbies planes and they are awesome!! I'm done with Dynam, just wish I had the money back I wasted on those planes!! Here is my pile of POS Dynam planes 90% were electronic failure...servo's etc!
Yea first thing i do is replace esc,rx,servos,and control rods, and control horns have never had problems with any dynam motors but i do put good glue on the motor mounts.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd