HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:00 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
Nitroplanes Blew Order

When they came back in stock I ordered a $6 cowl this Monday. When the huge box arrived today, iso a cowl, the sent me an entire $40 fuse...!!!??

So anyway... if anybody in the Atlanta area has a cowl they wanna trade for this brand-new fuse, lmk... I did chat just now w/ NP and they told me to just keep the fuse; they wouldn't pay shipping back to LAX.

And btw... not sure why, but Grayson still has neither the model nor any parts in stock. Strange.
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
Weird but Important OEM Prop Question

Guys, help me out here: what is the hub dia on the oem prop? It's 6mm, right?

Here's the thing: I just recvd an order from NP for 3 of the stock Dynam Sbach props. BUT- the hubs are all 6mm, and the collet/spinner assy is 8mm????

So these new props don't fit the collet, w/o reaming...huh, say what??? I would think that these props are for this model, so they'd come made-to-fit.

At any rate....unlike apc, these Dynam props don't have a solid plastic hub...so I'm a bit leery of reaming...but you think I'm ok doing it??
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:14 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,791 Posts
Happily Flying Along Then!!

Third trim flight new aircraft. Rotate with shallow climb left turn and back across the field at 50% power flat and level. Sudden trim changes and saw a mysterious shaped object emerging from the top of the aircraft. Aircraft begins a dive then levels as the canopy self ejects for no reason? Landed with no issues and retrieved the canopy.

Strange that it would do that?. Then it occurred to me.... I had opened up the two intake holes at the back of the cowl to feed more cooling air to the ESC compartment. With two half inch holes I was getting positive pressure in the fuse that forced the canopy off against the flying wind force. Quick fix in the pits was to open up the exit cooling hole to relieve the pressure.

Once back in the shop I machined up a sprung catch to hold that sucker down for aerobatics. Used the spring from a ball point pen. 2" of brass tube and a machine rod. Quick fix that gives piece of mind.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, NY, Manhasset
Joined Jul 2011
266 Posts
Sbach

ChrisNYPilot is offline Find More Posts by ChrisNYPilot
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChrisNYPilot; Feb 05, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:05 PM
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Apr 2003
903 Posts
Poiyt, the prop adapter is 8mm. A 5/16" drill bit iis perfect if you dont have an 8mm. I think you would be fine drilling them, just make sure that you have the washer in place between the nut and prop to have good surface contact. Hope that makes sense. I would be very careful if it was a glow engine but in this case I think your fine.
pulsar110 is offline Find More Posts by pulsar110
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar110 View Post
Poiyt, the prop adapter is 8mm. A 5/16" drill bit iis perfect if you dont have an 8mm. I think you would be fine drilling them, just make sure that you have the washer in place between the nut and prop to have good surface contact. Hope that makes sense. I would be very careful if it was a glow engine but in this case I think your fine.
Pulsar thx...I actually have a prop reamer (ANYBODY flying planks needs one!!!) and used it; my question related to why Dynam would sell an obviously proprietary prop that isn't already sized for the plane...in other words, one you have to ream after you get it. Strange, but no biggie.

In contrast, Eflite's prop for the Z Yak simply bolt on.

I gotta say, tho: this foamie is really growing on me- 8 flts now and I like it more with each flt.

Just gotta figger out how to beef up the LG for elevator-drop landings...any ideas??
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:46 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,791 Posts
Decals added

Thought to update the paint job then decided just to add sponsor decals. Had a power plug come out on take off causing the plane to dive and destroyed the nose. Repaired the nose and got ten flights in without the cowl that exploded into a zillion bits. Airframe not bad when you update it but the cowl is the cheapest garbage that I have ever seen so will fabricate my own.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:27 AM
Currently flyin Crack Yak
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2006
364 Posts
flew yesterday and unfortunately about 20 feet off the ground on take off my prop/nose cone all flew off and I had to make an emergency landing. Good thing was i was still going straight up so i just was able to glide down. Only damage was the cowl on the bottom was a little cracked but nothing noticeable and prop had a nice ding in it. The moral of the story is always check your nuts before you fly and also the collet is junk. The collet size is 6mm right?
ryanotown22 is offline Find More Posts by ryanotown22
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:35 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanotown22 View Post
flew yesterday and unfortunately about 20 feet off the ground on take off my prop/nose cone all flew off and I had to make an emergency landing. Good thing was i was still going straight up so i just was able to glide down. Only damage was the cowl on the bottom was a little cracked but nothing noticeable and prop had a nice ding in it. The moral of the story is always check your nuts before you fly and also the collet is junk. The collet size is 6mm right?

8mm
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:35 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
The motor has an 8mm shaft?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
The motor has an 8mm shaft?
No. I haven't mic'ed it but I think it's 5mm. The threaded part of the prop adapter is 8mm; this is what replacement Dynam oem props must be reamed to.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
***HEADS-UP*** Re Dynam Spare Parts

If you recall, I ordered a cowl from NP but they sent me a fuse instead (cowls are b/o for a month)

So I thought I'd use this fuse. Wrong.

It is painted bare foam, meaning: there are no hard plastic parts/mounts, into which various things like servos, wings, etc must affix.

Eg. no white plastic parallel strips to mount the ELE & AIL servos. No fuse magnets for canopy. No motor mount. No LG mount plate. Nothing.

So basically, this is a piece of painted foam, and almost completely useless- since these mounts are "in the foam". To try and use it you'd have to rip the various mounts from the old fuse- but even then, I see no way to incorporate them into the new fuse w/o a hellluva lotta cutting & gluing.

This is very poor.

Not sure whether any of you have bought a replacement fuse; but if you did, pls post if yours was also bare.

Had I actually bought this, I'd be more than a little p*ssed- since it's not useable in this condition....worse yet, shipping it back would be expensive.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:42 AM
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Apr 2003
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanotown22 View Post
Had almost the same thing happen to me. It didnt come completely off instead cocked to one side which setup a vibration like crazy. I flew the pattern and landed. I prefer an adapter with set screws myself so I got an Eflite from the LHS. The motor shaft is 5mm. The one Im using now is EFLM1932, it was a drop in replacement. It also held the spinner out a little more from the cowl and used all of the motor shaft. Seemed a better setup to me.
pulsar110 is offline Find More Posts by pulsar110
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:06 PM
Currently flyin Crack Yak
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2006
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar110 View Post
Had almost the same thing happen to me. It didnt come completely off instead cocked to one side which setup a vibration like crazy. I flew the pattern and landed. I prefer an adapter with set screws myself so I got an Eflite from the LHS. The motor shaft is 5mm. The one Im using now is EFLM1932, it was a drop in replacement. It also held the spinner out a little more from the cowl and used all of the motor shaft. Seemed a better setup to me.
Today I purchased the EFLM1925 E-Flite Prop Adapter with Collet 5mm. It fit perfectly on the plane.
ryanotown22 is offline Find More Posts by ryanotown22
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Sep 2011
165 Posts
My Dynam with 808 #16 keychain cam

Mounted on top of the canopy with VHB double sided foam tape.

http://youtu.be/XcIdesDLn-U?hd=1
minizoom is offline Find More Posts by minizoom
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rabbit Dry Lake Bed