HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:54 PM
I74
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Jan 2013
558 Posts
''Hi there'', . I have been watching this thread for awhile, and noticed that it's having a hard time getting to page 100.... I have been wanting an S bach for almost a year now. The Dynam seems impressive after a few mods ; I also stumbled across the Arttech 49' Sbach this evening from Motion R/C, with free shipping! ,for $139.00. I havn't seen much feedback on this plane yet..It does look more scale, and has 17 or 18g servos for the tail .''THEY ALSO HAVE COWLS IN STOCK FOR IT!!!!''
I74 is offline Find More Posts by I74
Last edited by I74; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:00 PM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
558 Posts
''HEY, I MADE PAGE 100''!!!
Last edited by I74; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:45 PM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
705 Posts
Finally got to fly my sbach. Damn it's a nice plane with plenty of power. But I really need to learn how to land smoother. Also need to move the battery all the way forward to get smooth flying. Any ideas how to strengthen the landing gear? And my damn canopy flew off at about 200 feet with minimal damage.
Gharddog03 is online now Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:59 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
Finally got to fly my sbach. Damn it's a nice plane with plenty of power. But I really need to learn how to land smoother. Also need to move the battery all the way forward to get smooth flying. Any ideas how to strengthen the landing gear? And my damn canopy flew off at about 200 feet with minimal damage.
Do you have the CG set right? This plane is the absolute best plane to land I have ever experienced. It is suhhh-weeeet. It's a great landing trainer. You should land with a little power. Control descent rate with power and speed with the elevator. It sounds backwards but that's how the big boys do it and it really works.

Yeah... that canopy... it needs a latch or more magnets. I've done neither so I don't fly it. I'm tired of chasing my canopy! And, sticking to inside maneuvers is boring. Gotta get me some magnets!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:03 AM
Ground Pounder
Joined Nov 2012
705 Posts
Erkq-
I think my problem is that I cut power when landing which causes a nasty bounce. I need to learn how to land with some power. It is a sweet flying plane. I'll take it out tmrw without the canopy. What's the best magnets to use.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:12 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,190 Posts
Quote:
Erkq-
I think my problem is that I cut power when landing which causes a nasty bounce. I need to learn how to land with some power. It is a sweet flying plane. I'll take it out tmrw without the canopy. What's the best magnets to use.
Oh, yes, definitely... keep a little power on. In fact, practice slow speed slow descends with a little power without ever touching down. Just watch it come down from 20 feet or so and get used to how it all feels. You're looking for a nice easy kiss to the ground. If you do it right a gentle pull on the elevator will arrest the descent just when the wheels touch and there's hardly any force to it at all. Good luck!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:21 PM
Ground Pounder
Joined Nov 2012
705 Posts
Anyone glued the chunk of foam that goes into the landing gear. Will this add any more strength to the landing gear?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Yeah, I've knocked off the landing gear twice. I strengthened the area where the landing gear plate attaches to the the foam fuselage with lots of epoxy. The canopy would also pop off with knife edges and tight fast outside loops. I now hold it on with a #64 rubber band. Also I have reinforced the foamy hinges. With those modifications I have completed 142 flights on this plane with no trouble.
Dan Kimel is offline Find More Posts by Dan Kimel
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:50 AM
Ground Pounder
Joined Nov 2012
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kimel View Post
Yeah, I've knocked off the landing gear twice. I strengthened the area where the landing gear plate attaches to the the foam fuselage with lots of epoxy. The canopy would also pop off with knife edges and tight fast outside loops. I now hold it on with a #64 rubber band. Also I have reinforced the foamy hinges. With those modifications I have completed 142 flights on this plane with no trouble.
That's good to hear thanks for the tips.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:33 PM
If U aint crashin U aint flyin
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Jan 2013
262 Posts
Sbach and friends

Got the Sbach and T-28s out for some airtime
Lawndart62 is offline Find More Posts by Lawndart62
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
262 Posts
Quote:
Anyone glued the chunk of foam that goes into the landing gear. Will this add any more strength to the landing gear?
I recently took off the cf rods and put 2 1x1inch squares of 20ga. metal in the fuse above the landing gear and ran some self tapping screws through the landing gear bracket into the metal. Solid as a rock now.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:26 PM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Do you have the CG set right? This plane is the absolute best plane to land I have ever experienced. It is suhhh-weeeet. It's a great landing trainer. You should land with a little power. Control descent rate with power and speed with the elevator. It sounds backwards but that's how the big boys do it and it really works.

Yeah... that canopy... it needs a latch or more magnets. I've done neither so I don't fly it. I'm tired of chasing my canopy! And, sticking to inside maneuvers is boring. Gotta get me some magnets!
Harborfrieght sells rare earth magnets. They are 5/16 OD, and 5/64 thick, and come in a pack of 10. The part no.is, 67488 ..I think i paid around $3.00 for them.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:33 PM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawndart62 View Post
I recently took off the cf rods and put 2 1x1inch squares of 20ga. metal in the fuse above the landing gear and ran some self tapping screws through the landing gear bracket into the metal. Solid as a rock now.
What kind of metal are you using, and how long?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
262 Posts
LG Supports

Its just some scrap galv. metal I had sitting around... I got some tie wire and heated it up so as to melt a groove in the foam above the ESC compartment, slid the metal squares in the melted grooves an ran a screw through the LG bracket in through the pieces of metal
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:32 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
I tried a similar approach with plywood and screws/washers/nuts. It didn't last long. One hard landing and the foam still ripped out around the landing gear. Hopefully yours fares better.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial