Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
lac superieur - chemin le pointe croix
Joined Apr 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
Because several independent testers found the 25C batteries to be better than the 40C ones from the same manufacturer during the same test. The 25C seemed way underrated, the 40C well overrated. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Some of us have been testing and using batteries for many years even long before LiPolys came along and we are not easily fooled (hood winked) by slippery folks in marketing .Charles
If anything possibly more marketing savvy than “slippery” marketing. Wouldn’t exactly call it being "hood winked" when you’re getting a “way underrated” LiPoly than that indicated on the label. Neither could you really accuse GensAce of being “slippery” if the next GensAce 25C batch runs coming down the pipeline were closer to 20-25C instead of being “way underrated” (closer to 40C than 25C).

Would GensAce be so savvy as to do a massive hugemongous run of those underrated GensAce 25C, then label them 35C and sell them for an even sweeter price than their competitors overrated 40Cs.
microwave is offline Find More Posts by microwave
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:14 PM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined May 2010
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
Any more updates after flying these batteries? I need to get some more 6S 5000's and am curious how the performance is holding up.
Have about 6-8 fligths on the two 6S 3000mah 40C batteries that I got. They have really good power, I can audibly tell I am getting a higher headspeed than the 25C batteries I have. The performance is great and the batteries come down just a tiny bit warm to the touch...warm, less than 100F I would think..

When charging they take a bit of time after the charge to balance completely to
.005< Resistance is a bit high at 12-15 ohm. (Some batteries I have are in the 6-8 range.

Flying in a Trex 500esp 6 minute sport flying with some flips and rolls thrown in.

Real test will be using both in the 600e Pro that I am building.

SO far so good!
TossinHoss is offline Find More Posts by TossinHoss
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:26 AM
Once u go yak u never go back
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
If anything possibly more marketing savvy than “slippery” marketing. Wouldn’t exactly call it being "hood winked" when you’re getting a “way underrated” LiPoly than that indicated on the label. Neither could you really accuse GensAce of being “slippery” if the next GensAce 25C batch runs coming down the pipeline were closer to 20-25C instead of being “way underrated” (closer to 40C than 25C).

Would GensAce be so savvy as to do a massive hugemongous run of those underrated GensAce 25C, then label them 35C and sell them for an even sweeter price than their competitors overrated 40Cs.
ya and there were 2 men on the grassy noll and elvis still lives in TX. Come on. This is all a little out there. Not to mention a little inappropriate to be bringing up a switch-a-roo theory in a Haiyin official product launch thread. Weird.
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:59 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,712 Posts
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TossinHoss View Post
Have about 6-8 fligths on the two 6S 3000mah 40C batteries that I got. They have really good power, I can audibly tell I am getting a higher headspeed than the 25C batteries I have. The performance is great and the batteries come down just a tiny bit warm to the touch...warm, less than 100F I would think..

When charging they take a bit of time after the charge to balance completely to
.005< Resistance is a bit high at 12-15 ohm. (Some batteries I have are in the 6-8 range.
Is that IR per cell or whole lipo?
alexf1852 is offline Find More Posts by alexf1852
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:09 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
...their competitors overrated 40Cs.
Please read properly, the 40C were ALSO Gen's Ace, so your comment is a bit out of place....
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Apr 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
Please read properly, the 40C were ALSO Gen's Ace, so your comment is a bit out of place....
One reason Charles may have first mentioned GensAce and Thunder Power Pro Power is that they may be a suitable brand to compare/bench test against HAIYIN. Some less expensive bargain brands tend to inflate their packs discharge rate (40-50C). HAIYIN manufacturers a few 3S packs rated at 40C that hopefully are truly rated or at least much closer to 40C, than some of the other competitively priced brands that are significantly overrated … Congratulations and HATS OFF TO HAIYIN, if they have been paying heed to Charles and other members who are discussed with the slippery slope of some LiPoly manufacturers.

Would like to share part of email received that is timely to this post … At Haiyin, we want to be known as "the honest made in China quality lipo manufacturer guys". There will be no mislabeling of our packs/specs ... Eric F

Some less expensive competitively priced 3S LiPoly packs that are rated at 40C and 50C are suspected by some of being overrated. Of HAIYINs fifteen different mAh size 3S packs (from 500mAh to 5000mAh) only a few have a discharge rating of 40C … being the 2650mAh, 3000mAh and 4000mAh. Most of their 3S packs are in the 20-30C range. I give HAIYIN credit for apparently not overrating their packs, but rather using specs that are hopefully a truer discharge rating, rather than succumbing to the game playing of overrating their packs in hopes of increasing their market share and sales.
Last edited by microwave; Feb 23, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Apr 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
... TPPP45 3S 2250 was charged at 11A (4.88C) and discharged at 40A (17.77C) that is a 3 min. discharge equal such as in an extremely hard 3D flight..

The first 40A discharge was used as a base point and during the life cycle testing the capacity delivered was compared to this fourth cycles test.

After 300 cycles the 3S Thunder Power Pro Power 45 still delivered 91.8% of the capacity obtained first time 40A (17.77c) discharge was completed.

Now some will be fast to point out that since the PP45 was rated for 45C I was only discharging it at just 39% of it Cont. Dsc. rating but the subject which seems to be in question here is charge rates effecting life not discharge rates .
Charles
Perhaps, we need to cut even the best manufacturers some slack when they rate their LiPolys at 40C or even 45C. Realistically, is it even practical or possible to get 100 performance cycles from even a TPPP 45C that is continuously discharged at 45C or 40C or even 35C over and over and over again. Perhaps, we need to accept the reality that even the top-of-the-line LiPoly brands rated at 40C or 45C are not truly intended to be continually punished at that high of a continuous discharge rate over and over and over again.

In practice don't we buy them (40C-45C) so we can have longer bursts than 5-10 seconds for pylon racing, "extremely hard 3D flight" or heli at full throttle at a discharge rate possibly approximating 40-45C. So before some of you start testing HAIYINs 3S 2650mAh, 3000mAh and 4000mAh 40C packs for what you may determine deserves a more conservative cont. dsc. rating ... we may first want to redefine/reevaluate what a 40-45C pack should be able to deliver in longer bursts in relation to say a 20C pack. Is the current state of LiPoly technology even capable of manufacturing a 3S pack capable of 100 cycles at 45C, and if so would we want to pay the price for a TRUE 45C if most of us are discharging it closer to 40-50% of its cont. dsc. rating?

However, once again there are possibly too many opinion/variables to get any kind of meaningful consensus.
Last edited by microwave; Feb 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:52 PM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined May 2010
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post
Is that IR per cell or whole lipo?
Not sure if its measuring it from the balance connector or the main lead. I would think it would be from the main lead.....
TossinHoss is offline Find More Posts by TossinHoss
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:12 PM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
571 Posts
Xxx
Oregon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
Last edited by Oregon Craig; Apr 07, 2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: beating a dead horse
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:18 PM
Ohio
Joined Dec 2009
162 Posts
Quote:
Post a picture of it attached to the meter you are using to measure it, showing the "pretty bad" out of balance condition.
That's awesome. There sure is a lot of mud-slinging completely without substantiation, isn't there ? It get's to be such a bore.
I've been using ThunderPower packs for years. They have been very,very good to me. Funny how that's the brand the misers like to bad-mouth but it's the brand that sells pretty darn fast for used packs .
However, I bought two 40c Haiyin 5000mah 6s a couple weeks ago for a high stress 12s set-up. I have wrung them out silly for 36 cycles now without a hint of puffing, I am flat impressed. They don't seem to run as strong as my TP 65's as well they shouldn't , but they're VERY good, but they are at least a tie with the TP45c's in my estimation. Wow,actually.
So impressed was I, I just ordered two more.
I think this companies in it for the long haul. I think I'll follow along . Doug
doug47 is offline Find More Posts by doug47
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:26 AM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
896 Posts
I have a couple of Haiyin packs I have been wringing out as well. So far, VERY impressed. They will be my packs of choice from here on out. I have a feeling TP and Hyperion will be needing to lower their prices soon as companies like Haiyin catch up with them in quality and far exceed them in price point value.
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr View Post
I have a couple of Haiyin packs I have been wringing out as well. So far, VERY impressed. They will be my packs of choice from here on out. I have a feeling TP and Hyperion will be needing to lower their prices soon as companies like Haiyin catch up with them in quality and far exceed them in price point value.
The Haiyin's are impressive so say the least.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:11 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,636 Posts
I only have 3S 500s and 800 and they are OK but not outstanding in fact a less expensive brand ( $6.43(has better performance .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...79&postcount=2

As I posted earlier in this thread their small LiPoly are not that great of a deal especialy compared to their larger ones.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=81

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 19, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:50 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
There comes a time when you have to quit being a looky-loo and just order your own batteries and go fly. Thats just what I did today. I ordered some 6S 5000's, 5S 5000's and 3S batteries coming. All 40C.

The 6S 5000's are going into a Habu32 and the others in various planes I have.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero