HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
I disagree. I believe that these forum posts may have prompted them to do further testing, but I seriously doubt that a newish company trying to position itself as THE up and coming battery company is going to put all of their customers at risk by just saying "Yeah, sure, go charge at 5C...no problem" just because some people say that they SHOULD be fine.

Let's have a little more positivity here! I think it's great what Haiyin is trying to accomplish, and safety should be paramount! I'd much rather have them side with caution rather than advertising hype. None of this "True 150C" ratings...150C on a 6.5Ah pack would be a 975A discharge capability.... I don't know of ANY land vehicles capable of drawing more than about 150A....maybe some of your airplanes can draw that kind of current?? Glad Haiyin would rather have their batteries speak for themselves than throw silly claims of rediculous C ratings just to get people to buy them...

I'm going to do some race-day testing with my data logger and see how well these 30C batteries compare to the "60C" batteries I have from another MUCH more expensive company....
BlueGlowBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlueGlowBoy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:49 PM
Registered User
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
896 Posts
Pay attention to their website! SOME packs are rated at 1.5C and others at 5C with a few 3C's in between. I believe they are trying to be honest rather than most of the rest of the battery companies that loosely throw around 5C and even higher numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
So you are saying that my batteries which are in the mail system went from a 1.5c to 5c charge rate capable.I wonder what the postman did.
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:07 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
Mikemynameis's Avatar
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,824 Posts
The lipo they sent me I was going to use it on my new plane and all the cells are out of balance and its pretty bad
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:35 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Charge it then check cell voltages. I have tried for years to get across to everyone that discharged cell inbvalnce does not really mater unless it is really bad as in some cells at 3.5 and some at 3.8 .. Very often merely charging a LiPoly without any balancing will greatly improve its' balance.

I do not however understand why a LiPoly with greater than 0.1V imbalance would be shiped these days.

Snip from a Feb. 4 ,2005 post of mine

Quote:
Discharged pack to 8.76 @ 1.25 Ah on AF109.
Added taps and checked voltages.
3.67
3.45
3.67
Difference 0.22 volts

Charged at 0.9Ah (0.75C) on Triton to 12.3(Li Ion setting.
4.09 plus 0.42
4.05 plus 0.60
4.09 plus 0.42
Difference 0.04 volts.
The above shows a 0.180improvement in ballance with no balancing device used.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 13, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:07 PM
Registered User
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
The lipo they sent me I was going to use it on my new plane and all the cells are out of balance and its pretty bad
Unless one or more cells is more than .3V difference, there is nothing wrong with the battery! Charge it and check again!

I have even had Hyperions and Thunderpowers (expensive packs) arrive out of balance but the first charge brought them all to within reason.

Methinks you are a bit too picky!
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:26 PM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
TossinHoss's Avatar
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined May 2010
628 Posts
3000 Packs

Well, got two 40C 6S 3000's and after checking the shipping balance, I put on Deans to make them compatible with my equipment. Charged great and balance very close on my Hyperion Charger.

I'll be flying them in my Trex 500esp and wring them out a bit. I will also have my Trex 600 built in a day or two and see how they work in a 12S setup.

I have 8 helis from a Trex 250 flybarless to a 600N and now the new 600e and anxious to see how they work. Price for the 40C was $55 and they shipped from Vegas to Atlanta very quickly.

Update after flying them!!
TossinHoss is online now Find More Posts by TossinHoss
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Registered User
alexf1852's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
I picked up 1 6S 2650 20C since it was on sale. No sense in buying a more expensive Haiyin lipo to try when my Gens Ace 6S 2500 25C are tops and a bargain at $42. It's being flown on my Protos 500 heli. I just completed 6 break-in cycles just hovering on my Protos which pulls about 20-23 amps in hover. This lipo comes down pretty warm after just hovering for 7 minutes. I took them down to about 22%. Temp with an IR gun is about 108 to 110F. A lot warmer than my 25C Gens Ace. I'll be comparing IR, temp, and Eagle Tree voltage data when I fly all 3 lipos (Gens Ace 25C, Banana Genesis 55C, and Haiyin 20C) much harder tomorrow morning. I think this 20C lipo is not close to the 25C Gens Ace. I was hoping it was close, but was not expecting it would be better. Details will follow.

EDIT: I also noticed that the actual thickness of this lipo was 3mm less than what is listed on the website. So dimensions on the website might not be accurate.
alexf1852 is offline Find More Posts by alexf1852
Last edited by alexf1852; Feb 16, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:35 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
GensAce 25C are way underrated if one goes by what is considered normal for LiPolys in fact their 25Cs perform more like most 40 or 45C ones and in fact as well as their 40C rated ones.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
Registered User
nippaero's Avatar
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Any more updates after flying these batteries? I need to get some more 6S 5000's and am curious how the performance is holding up.
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:23 PM
Registered User
jsmith285's Avatar
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
Any more updates after flying these batteries? I need to get some more 6S 5000's and am curious how the performance is holding up.
Been Flying them. Nothing happening but fun.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:49 AM
Graham Dyer
pardus's Avatar
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
699 Posts
Any more reports with number of cycles, discharge rates, capacity recharged, etc?
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:29 AM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Anymore ?, I have not had mine long enough to place a lot of cycles on them as yet. We do not have the best flying weather here this time of the year.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581812

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 21, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:15 PM
Registered User
microwave's Avatar
lac superieur - chemin le pointe croix
Joined Apr 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
I have tried for years to get across to everyone that discharged cell imbalance does not really matter unless it is really bad as in some cells at 3.5 and some at 3.8 .. Very often merely charging a LiPoly without any balancing will greatly improve its' balance.

I do not however understand why a LiPoly with greater than 0.1V imbalance would be shiped these days. Charles
AGREE!, AGREE!


Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
GensAce 25C are way underrated if one goes by what is considered normal for LiPolys in fact their 25Cs perform more like most 40 or 45C ones and in fact as well as their 40C rated ones. Charles
Call me a skeptic, but how do we know some 40Cs didn’t get mislabeled, maybe they had a large overrun and decided to do a random act of marketing savvy or maybe they hoped You would give GensAce your good flying LiPoly seal of approval .

With the maturity of LiPoly technology it seems like most manufacturers could sell a 40C for nearly the same price as a 25C or a 15C, but then I suppose that wouldn’t be good business sense. I take it there is possibly a consensus among GensAce affectionados that for some reason the 25C is “way underrated” or you wouldn’t have mentioned it unless a few others have reported the same.
microwave is offline Find More Posts by microwave
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:14 AM
Registered User
WimH's Avatar
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
Call me a skeptic, but how do we know some 40Cs didn’t get mislabeled, maybe they had a large overrun and decided to do a random act of marketing savvy or maybe they hoped You would give GensAce your good flying LiPoly seal of approval
Because several independent testers found te 25C batteries to be better than the 40C ones from the same manufacturer during the same test. The 25C seemed way underrated, the 40C well overrated. That being said, my 2S 40C 5000 Gens Ace pack performed significantly better than the three other brands(Polyquest,Hyperion,Bionic) I had been using (could not tell any performance difference between those 3...) I have a 6S Haiyin pack now for this years competition and wonder how well that one will perform...
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:40 AM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Some of us have been testing and using batteries for many years even long before LiPolys came along and we are not easily fooled (hood winked) by slippery folks in marketing .

I was testing the newly developing NiMH Sub-C batteries for possible ROAR approval and use long before most even had heard of a NiMH cell.


Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Welcome to our official Venom Group International / RC Groups product support forum! Chris Nicastro Venom 84 Feb 06, 2012 11:15 PM
Discussion Haiyin LiPo Batteries ggroyal1117 Batteries and Chargers 7 Dec 14, 2011 04:01 PM
Discussion RC groups on a Smartphone Scottmac737 Site Chat 4 Sep 27, 2011 01:56 PM
Discussion Bought some Bad Batteries off a guy at RC Groups DaveBC Trader Talk 26 Mar 09, 2011 05:11 PM