HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:57 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioa View Post
Joe is an excellent pilot.

I would be very interested in his thoughts about Haiyin batteries. How hot they come out of the plane after his flights. His impression of their power compared to other brands. How long he has been using these batteries, and how long he expects them to last. Has he had any battery related failures / problems?

Those are some of the questions I would ask Joe.

Nick
Not Joe, His Dad. Winter here right now, The 58" edge doesn't even have the cooling holes open in it yet. So not able to give a temp impression. But same as the others we are running. No Failures or problems. They seem to be really well made compared to all the other brands we have in the Battery box. Holds the voltage well through the flight. Good heavy leads on them. And they came well balanced.
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Last edited by jsmith285; Feb 03, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:22 AM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined May 2010
632 Posts
Heli

I fly with a bunch of Heli Pilots and we all use 6S 2650 to 5000 MAH packs. Most use Deans connectors. I have a lot of Turnigy batteries that work great but another brand would be good to try too. I find the lower C batteries are usually the ones that I have issues with. There are several other new brands out there, Spyder, Pulse, NRG, etc..that I have seen people getting lately. I have a couple of NRG's for Nitro power supply. My most problematic batteries have been 30C Thunderpower packs that have puffed.

There are a lot of heli guys I know that would switch to dependable, well made and good rated packs with higher charge rates.

May have to see some of the prices online and try out a couple of 6S 3000MAH and 5000MAH packs as well as a 3S 2200.

Is there a chance you might offer connector choices??

Thanks for the info.
TossinHoss is offline Find More Posts by TossinHoss
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:10 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
There are several other new brands out there, Spyder, Pulse, NRG, etc..
Spyder is not what I would call a new brand as I tested them over two years ago.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123338

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:43 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TossinHoss View Post
I fly with a bunch of Heli Pilots and we all use 6S 2650 to 5000 MAH packs. Most use Deans connectors. I have a lot of Turnigy batteries that work great but another brand would be good to try too. I find the lower C batteries are usually the ones that I have issues with. There are several other new brands out there, Spyder, Pulse, NRG, etc..that I have seen people getting lately. I have a couple of NRG's for Nitro power supply. My most problematic batteries have been 30C Thunderpower packs that have puffed.

There are a lot of heli guys I know that would switch to dependable, well made and good rated packs with higher charge rates.

May have to see some of the prices online and try out a couple of 6S 3000MAH and 5000MAH packs as well as a 3S 2200.

Is there a chance you might offer connector choices??

Thanks for the info.
ours came with really good Bullet connectors. But we switched em to Deans.
They seem to be really well built.
And that Haiyin actually makes the cells impressed us.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:48 PM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined May 2010
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Spyder is not what I would call a new brand as I tested them over two years ago.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123338

Charles
They did, but you could hardly ever find they had them in stock and I never saw anyone with them in the SE area.. Just meant they were not like the bigger manufacturers...

I've had a few Venom batteries but they tended to puff badly although I know they have some newer higher C rated ones now.

Is there a coupon code for the Haiyin site, they have a place for one? I'm thinking about getting a couple.
TossinHoss is offline Find More Posts by TossinHoss
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:42 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TossinHoss View Post
They did, but you could hardly ever find they had them in stock and I never saw anyone with them in the SE area.. Just meant they were not like the bigger manufacturers...

I've had a few Venom batteries but they tended to puff badly although I know they have some newer higher C rated ones now.

Is there a coupon code for the Haiyin site, they have a place for one? I'm thinking about getting a couple.
There is a coupon spot when you check out. But I Do not know of any coupons.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:54 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,138 Posts
Well i just bought 4 of these to try em out,based on what you guys are saying,i presently run Nano Tec.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:20 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Been doing some actual side by side testing(actual flying testing) of the Haiyin batteries against the batteries we had been buying(same cell count, size and c rating). But there is noticeable more pull out and lasting power from the Haiyins. Noticeable even enough for spectators to visually see a difference.
Not mentioning the other brand. And yes same plane, put battery in, fly, change battery, fly.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:23 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,138 Posts
Good to know,shipping was very expensive considering a small box with 200g of LiPo's $28 bucks to the caribbean.They say they dont mark up on shipping so be it.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:49 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
FWIW My 20C 3S 800 mAh which I bench tested for a total of 51 cycles is now being flown in a flying wing which I have tried many different props on, some pulling over
20A static.........25C .

Current favorite prop pulls 13A turns 16K and comes down after 5 min. at 3.7 per cell. with no noticeable heating and no signs of fading. Cycle count now at 57 ,----51 bench and 6 flights.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 02, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
FWIW My 20C 3S 800 mAh which I bench tested for a total of 51 cycles is now being flown in a flying wing which I have tried many different props on, some pulling over
20A static.........25C .

Current favorite prop pulls 13A turns 16K and comes down after 5 min. at 3.7 per cell. with no noticeable heating and no signs of fading. Cycle count now at 57 ,----51 bench and 6 flights.

Charles
not too shabby
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:32 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
and no signs of fading.

Charles
That's what we are seeing too. No fading during the flight.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Oct 2009
689 Posts
Charge Rate?

What's the maximum charge rate on these packs? I am looking at the 6S 5000 40C.
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:19 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
6S 5000 is 20 , 25 and 30c on thier website and max. charge rate is 1.5C (7.5A)

http://www.haiyinstore.com/compares....=225+&PID=226+
Old Feb 06, 2012, 06:13 PM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
909 Posts
I think they are just going on the side of caution when they specify the charge rate. I wouldn't hesitate at all to charge them at 3C. Some of the other companies boast you can charge up to 5C but I would never do it. The pack might take it but it ain't gonna last long.

I charge everything I have at 2C. No harm, no foul. The only time I use 1C is if I'm trying to revive a sick pack.

BTW, the 6S 5000 40C has a published charge rate of 3C. I'm not sure why the 20, 25, and 30C packs would only be 1.5C
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Last edited by sailr; Feb 06, 2012 at 06:19 PM.