HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:08 PM
peoria,az
Joined Sep 2009
491 Posts
Awesome! Im very happy to see that the Haiyin packs are coming more into my area!! hope you enjoy them!!!

Mattox
mattox is offline Find More Posts by mattox
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:02 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,407 Posts
Just wanted to provide feedback on my experiences with Haiyin's.

Bought various 6s packs in the 4000-5000mah range of different C's over the past couple months. They've been working flawlessly. My latest order had an issue. One email to support and Eric responded immediately the next day. After sending him and the factory in China a video of the issue, replacement were immediately dispatched from Henderson, NV. Mind you, this was right after Chinese new year where most other Chinese companies aren't even open for business yet.

I was already impressed for the value of these packs. But now with first hand experience of their customer service, I am totally sold. This type of service is on par with that other Las Vegas company who charges 3x the price.

Excellent job Eric and the Haiyin team! You have a new fan here!
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:17 PM
Batteries
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central
Joined Aug 2011
94 Posts
THANKS ALL!
Impossible to have 100% perfect Lipos, so taking care our our great customers when something does go wrong, is our TOP PRIORITY
Enjoy the 2013 RC Hobby Season
Best regards
Eric
HAIYIN is offline Find More Posts by HAIYIN
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:25 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIYIN View Post
THANKS ALL!
Impossible to have 100% perfect Lipos, so taking care our our great customers when something does go wrong, is our TOP PRIORITY
Enjoy the 2013 RC Hobby Season
Best regards
Eric
And I can attest that customer service has been superior @ Haiyin from the first day they were on the hobby market! Several of my buddies have now switched to exclusively Haiyin not only for the great customer service -- but mostly because their batteries are absolutely the best available. Not the best available for the price -- but best available PERIOD.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:03 PM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Hey All...

Received the batteries today and all looks good. First pack: 3.85 across all five cells. Second pack: 3.85, 3.85, 3.85, 3.83, 3.85. Now for my questions.

- should I bring to a full charge and start driving (1/8th scale 4WD trucks) or is there a cycle process they should go through first?

- where would you set your LVC?

- I know the website said 5.5mm bullets, but I thought that you alway have the female ends on the battery so they can't short and the male connectors on the controller. I removed the protective coating on the negative side of the first battery and was surprised to see a male connector. We currently have Deans on everything and knew I would have to make a change, but didn't think it would be this way

So, how to you guys have your connectors? Any pictures? Thanks.

Tim
timmyt101 is offline Find More Posts by timmyt101
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:41 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,183 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Haiyin packs. For 450 helicopter use, I see you offer 3S 2200mAh packs, which is great.

More people are converting their 450's to 6S power, however, myself included. I have 6S 1200mAh packs from another brand. There are a few options for this pack size, but not that many yet.

I think it would be great if you offered 6S 1300mAh packs, in the same shape as a "typical" 450-heli 3S 2200 pack. Preferably in 30C.

Do you have any plans for that? Thanks.
RedOctobyr is online now Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:43 PM
Batteries
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central
Joined Aug 2011
94 Posts
Haiyin replies

Recommend to always Cycle ours and/or anyone's New Pack(s) when you first get them ( once min. ).

We use Standard Bullets ( aka Banana Plugs ) on our high capacity packs, they are not like a DEAN connector, which have different M & F ends.
- Forum Members are likely better to help you with your specific 1/8th scale 4WD truck Q.

Considering making a 1300.6S.35 pack ( long, not stubby version ). Demand driven decision.

Drive & Fly Well
Eric
HAIYIN is offline Find More Posts by HAIYIN
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:19 PM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Thanks, Eric. I'll see what kind of recommendations I get regarding the connections (been kind of quiet here lately). I'm curious how everyone sets up there helis/boats/planes etc so that they don't accidentally touch the two wires.

As for cyling the packs, should I fully charge and then discharge and then back up again OR discharge from current state and then full charge? Also, what do you recommend that I discharge down to?

Thanks.

Tim
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:32 PM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
896 Posts
The accepted convention for Bullet connectors are for the POSITIVE side to have the FEMALE connector. The easy way to remember is RED HOT FEMALE. Haiyin wires their connectors correctly. I love the fact they use 5.5mm bullets because that is what I use on anything 4S and up. The only time I use Deans is with 2S and 3S packs. Deans won't carry anywhere near the amps that the bullets will. We learned this the hard way in R/C Fast Electric boating. The Deans were coming unsoldered with the high amp draws found in r/c boats. Not so much a problem in cars, as they are geared and low amp draw. Airplanes fall somewhere in between. But if you're drawing more than 50 AMPS continuous, I highly recommend the bullets. On the Haiyin 4S 2650 packs they use the multiplex style plugs which is great for me as the Dynam ARFs I've been buying use the same connector.

All in all, Haiyin really has its act together. Thanks Eric and staff at Haiyin! Best damned packs anywhere at the right price and the BEST service in the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyt101 View Post
Hey All...

Received the batteries today and all looks good. First pack: 3.85 across all five cells. Second pack: 3.85, 3.85, 3.85, 3.83, 3.85. Now for my questions.

- should I bring to a full charge and start driving (1/8th scale 4WD trucks) or is there a cycle process they should go through first?

- where would you set your LVC?

- I know the website said 5.5mm bullets, but I thought that you alway have the female ends on the battery so they can't short and the male connectors on the controller. I removed the protective coating on the negative side of the first battery and was surprised to see a male connector. We currently have Deans on everything and knew I would have to make a change, but didn't think it would be this way

So, how to you guys have your connectors? Any pictures? Thanks.

Tim
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:37 PM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
896 Posts
If you have the SAME connector on the battery, it is very easy to plug in the ESC backwards and blow it. By having a female on one pole and a male on the other, it's impossible to do that. I use some plastic caps on the male side to prevent touching each other.

These are a perfect snug fit for the male side:

http://www.stockcap.com/store/produc...o.aspx?id=1904

Eric, suggestion:
It would be nice if batteries with bullets came with a cap on the male side. It would be a first! The caps are only about a dime apiece. Raise the packs a quarter and put 'em on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr View Post
The accepted convention for Bullet connectors are for the POSITIVE side to have the FEMALE connector. The easy way to remember is RED HOT FEMALE. Haiyin wires their connectors correctly. I love the fact they use 5.5mm bullets because that is what I use on anything 4S and up. The only time I use Deans is with 2S and 3S packs. Deans won't carry anywhere near the amps that the bullets will. We learned this the hard way in R/C Fast Electric boating. The Deans were coming unsoldered with the high amp draws found in r/c boats. Not so much a problem in cars, as they are geared and low amp draw. Airplanes fall somewhere in between. But if you're drawing more than 50 AMPS continuous, I highly recommend the bullets. On the Haiyin 4S 2650 packs they use the multiplex style plugs which is great for me as the Dynam ARFs I've been buying use the same connector.

All in all, Haiyin really has its act together. Thanks Eric and staff at Haiyin! Best damned packs anywhere at the right price and the BEST service in the world!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:42 PM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
896 Posts
unfortunately that link to Stockcaps.com no longer works! This is what I use. Note that it is $9.65 for 100 caps!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Holy Crap ... talk about feeling like a DORK!

Thanks, Sailr. I never thought of the fact that there's a male on one and female on the other. I just trimmed the shrink wrap off the negative side, saw the male bullet and kinda panicked. Sure enough, the female is on the positive side!

Now if someone can answer my questions on cycling, I'll be good to go. Great thread.

Tim
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyt101 View Post
As for cyling the packs, should I fully charge and then discharge and then back up again OR discharge from current state and then full charge? Also, what do you recommend that I discharge down to?
Much of this stuff is anecdotal, so I'll tell you what I chose to do, based on some reading I did on new-LiPo breakin. I charged mine, and discharged them down to about storage voltage (3.85V/cell).

I did this several times, at moderate discharge currents. I didn't fly my heli hard for the first several cycles, no hard moves that would have called for 100% throttle. And shorter flights.

I would not do breakin by starting at storage voltage and running them down further from there. You're more likely to over-discharge the cells that way. Just my $0.02.
RedOctobyr is online now Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:24 PM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
896 Posts
I agree. The packs should come at 3.85 +- per cell. That is the storage level. You can charge the pack all the way up to 4.2V per cell and then discharge back to 3.85V per cell.
I'm pretty bad about it. Actually, you can also discharge the pack by flying it in your airplane! I usually charge up a new pack, go fly it, and then recharge it. I don't see any difference if you discharge it on the bench or in the air. After several cycles, your pack will become more efficient and perform up to its best potential. But in my opinion, discharging it by USING it doesn't present any problems. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:11 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr View Post
If you have the SAME connector on the battery, it is very easy to plug in the ESC backwards and blow it. By having a female on one pole and a male on the other, it's impossible to do that. I use some plastic caps on the male side to prevent touching each other.

These are a perfect snug fit for the male side:

http://www.stockcap.com/store/produc...o.aspx?id=1904

Eric, suggestion:
It would be nice if batteries with bullets came with a cap on the male side. It would be a first! The caps are only about a dime apiece. Raise the packs a quarter and put 'em on.
That would be awesome Jim!
great idea
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55