HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:19 AM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
894 Posts
Yes,
Cut the leads off. ONE AT A TIME! And soak in salt water for a week or more. That will safely discharge the pack and it can then be safely thrown into the trash. No problems with landfill pollution... in the USA anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalusrobert View Post
Read somewhere that after discharge you should soak them in saltwater for a week or so before throwing them in the garbage...anyone else know about this?
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Last edited by sailr; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:46 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,713 Posts
Sailr... please do not advise such. We have proven time and time again that this does not work with todays lipos. It did when the tabs were .004 thick but no way today. BTW that is the thickness of printer paper...
Discharge with a light bulb for 24 hous. Twist the discharge wires together and toss in trash.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:47 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr View Post
Yes,
Cut the leads off. ONE AT A TIME! And soak in salt water for a week or more. That will safely discharge the pack and it can then be safely thrown into the trash. No problems with landfill pollution... in the USA anyway.
This salt water theory just won't die. Time and time it's been proven putting in saltwater does nothing more then corrode the tabs so you no longer can discharge the Lipo...
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:30 PM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
894 Posts
Whatever you say.

"Twist the leads together" ???

I'll leave that to somebody that doesn't know any better.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:36 PM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
Sailr... please do not advise such. We have proven time and time again that this does not work with todays lipos. It did when the tabs were .004 thick but no way today. BTW that is the thickness of printer paper...
Discharge with a light bulb for 24 hous. Twist the discharge wires together and toss in trash.

Rick

I guess a 12V light bulb would work up to 3S. What do you use after that for say, 4s, 5s, 6s, etc.?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:59 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,893 Posts
Two lightbulbs in series.

Or, use a charger set on NiXX discharge with a cutoff of .1V. Once it beeps, she's a goner.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:56 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
...Discharge with a light bulb for 24 hous. Twist the discharge wires together and toss in trash.

Rick
Quote:
Whatever you say.

Don't quote my post out of context please. I have done this hundreds of times...and it works. [shrugs]

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:31 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
I guess a 12V light bulb would work up to 3S. What do you use after that for say, 4s, 5s, 6s, etc.?
there's plenty of light bulbs for 4s, 5s, 6s. Google is your friend.

a 4s, 5s, 6s will gladly accept any bulb above 25v

here's a 21v good for 3s/4s/5s
http://www.newark.com/osram-sylvania...50w/dp/94F1909
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:02 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
there's plenty of light bulbs for 4s, 5s, 6s. Google is your friend.

a 4s, 5s, 6s will gladly accept any bulb above 25v

here's a 21v good for 3s/4s/5s
http://www.newark.com/osram-sylvania...50w/dp/94F1909
Screw that. Just throw them in the neighbors garbage.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:01 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Whatever you say.

Not a problem after discharge the batt is 0.1-0-0 volts what could be your problem??Salt water is a fairy tale,dropping a fully charged lipo in that would make me run like a donkey.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:24 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
This salt water theory just won't die. Time and time it's been proven putting in saltwater does nothing more then corrode the tabs so you no longer can discharge the Lipo...
quoting myself...LOL!

anyways, it won't die because TP keeps promoting it.

http://thunderpowerrc.com/PDF/DISPOS...-BATTERIES.pdf
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:37 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
676 Posts
Method

Yeah, that's really too bad.

I agree, and in my experience I have found that discharging the batteries with small lamps, or an automotive headlight is the best way to go. I use GE 12v automotive headlights (H4656) that I buy really cheap at Wallymart. Very affordable to buy two or more. Each headlight is actually two lighting elements in one housing (about 0.4 ohms each element), so you could actually connect the internal elements in series and use one lamp for up to 6S (25v). So this three terminal headlight can have it's elements configured in series or parallel as needed. As long as you don't go significantly over each single elements 12 volt rating, the headlight should last a long time. Even longer if you optionally use a fan to cool the headlight.

My batteries use either EC5 or XT60 connectors, I have the mating EC5 or XT60 connector as a discharge wire for them, and on the other end, I use alligator clips to attach the wire to the lamp, and some insulating tubing around the alligator clips to keep the clips from leaning into each other. A short circuit here would not be safe. The alligator clips would not be needed if you don't need to reconfigure the series/parallel wiring of the lamp.

You can wire the headlight(s) for 24 volt operation, and that way you could connect any cell from 1S to 6S to it without having to reconfigure the wiring. A 1S or 2S cell will not produce much light, but light output is not what is desired; you want to place a load on the cell(s) to discharge it enough so that it does not have the internal energy to combust. If you have a pack that is really damaged, and you suspect that it is ready to blow, then discharge it as slowly as possible, to keep internal temps of the cell(s) as low as possible.

The discharge time recommended by Rampman of 24 hours is reasonable, and will discharge any configuration battery completely. Monitor voltage/temperature, at least the first 2 hours (use common sense here) of the discharge. I would recommend discharging on a fireproof surface or sand, outdoors. When done discharging, use a voltmeter to confirm that ALL cells are indeed discharged (voltages under 1 volt, are close enough to call the cell discharged), cut off the balance plug near the end, strip the wires, and twist all the wires together. Some folks cut off the discharge leads and reuse that nice expensive silicone wire in them. There are recycling companies that will take lipo batteries with the wires prepared as described, and sealed in a plastic bag for no cost.

Nick
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:59 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioa View Post
Yeah, that's really too bad.

I agree, and in my experience I have found that discharging the batteries with small lamps, or an automotive headlight is the best way to go. I use GE 12v automotive headlights (H4656) that I buy really cheap at Wallymart. Very affordable to buy two or more. Each headlight is actually two lighting elements in one housing (about 0.4 ohms each element), so you could actually connect the internal elements in series and use one lamp for up to 6S (25v). So this three terminal headlight can have it's elements configured in series or parallel as needed. As long as you don't go significantly over each single elements 12 volt rating, the headlight should last a long time. Even longer if you optionally use a fan to cool the headlight.

My batteries use either EC5 or XT60 connectors, I have the mating EC5 or XT60 connector as a discharge wire for them, and on the other end, I use alligator clips to attach the wire to the lamp, and some insulating tubing around the alligator clips to keep the clips from leaning into each other. A short circuit here would not be safe. The alligator clips would not be needed if you don't need to reconfigure the series/parallel wiring of the lamp.

You can wire the headlight(s) for 24 volt operation, and that way you could connect any cell from 1S to 6S to it without having to reconfigure the wiring. A 1S or 2S cell will not produce much light, but light output is not what is desired; you want to place a load on the cell(s) to discharge it enough so that it does not have the internal energy to combust. If you have a pack that is really damaged, and you suspect that it is ready to blow, then discharge it as slowly as possible, to keep internal temps of the cell(s) as low as possible.

The discharge time recommended by Rampman of 24 hours is reasonable, and will discharge any configuration battery completely. Monitor voltage/temperature, at least the first 2 hours (use common sense here) of the discharge. I would recommend discharging on a fireproof surface or sand, outdoors. When done discharging, use a voltmeter to confirm that ALL cells are indeed discharged (voltages under 1 volt, are close enough to call the cell discharged), cut off the balance plug near the end, strip the wires, and twist all the wires together. Some folks cut off the discharge leads and reuse that nice expensive silicone wire in them. There are recycling companies that will take lipo batteries with the wires prepared as described, and sealed in a plastic bag for no cost.

Nick
Seems like an awful lot of work when the neighbors put their garbage out every Wednesday night under the cover of darkness. Same neighbors that provide my lead balance weights from their tire rims.

EDIT**** Yes I'm joking -- please take that black van parked in front of my house away now.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Feb 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:34 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,193 Posts
how do I get a warranty replacement on my 4s 5000mah pack?
I have 4 and one of them has a badly puffed cell and my racing season starts in a few weeks
the pack only has 2 or 3 runs on it and never below 45% use and charged at 1c
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Ordered two 5s 5000mAh packs today for my son & I (1/8th scale trucks) and had both confirmation and shipping/tracking info within 5 hours! This is such a great alternative to the HK stuff - in stock and Vegas to Phoenix in just a couple of days. Can't wait!
timmyt101 is offline Find More Posts by timmyt101