Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:23 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,209 Posts
Discussion
High School Multi Rotor Project (For My Students)

Hello,

The idea hit me early this morning (about 1:30 am, ha) to give my students a project involving multi rotor helicopters!

So, this thread will document the journey and I have no plans except one: it has to be inexpensive because all funding comes out of my pocket. I also want this to be their project, not mine. They build it, they set it up, they fly it - very important.

Although I only know it by name, I like the idea of using an inexpensive board like the KK (?) but I'm open to comments, suggestions and recommendations.

I want this to be a scratch build - that's a vital aspect of this endeavor. Other than that, and keeping the budget very low, I'm open for any useful feedback.

My realistic budget? If I let them "borrow" one of my radios, use my batteries, charger and tools, then I'm hoping to fund this with less than $250, if possible. Based on some of the conversations here, I would think that's very "doable" but we'll see.

We'll be modeling the parts using SolidWorks and I'll look into the AMA guidelines for a high school club.

I'm excited about this project - thanks & happy buildin' & flyin'
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:26 AM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
build multiwii from arduino you will teach them more

N-DROID 1000 Lets all build a very cheap multiwii quadcopter together N3M1S1S (5 min 50 sec)

hope this gives you idea for cheap
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:31 AM
Joined Jan 2008
235 Posts
I'd go with the multiwii personally, as the cost is comparable. You can add a bit more electronics type stuff into your lesson plans, with having to hack up a controller & It'll give you a chance to introduce them to arduino programing, which would probably be more useful than learning how to do a straight flash with a hex file & a usb programmer, as they'll have a better chance of understanding the code from The Arduino ide, compared to avr assembly language
jonnyc67 is offline Find More Posts by jonnyc67
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:34 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
project

sounds cool, and can be done for your budget fairly easily i think. here's a pic of my early wraith design, although the carbon was not essential, it looked great, and first revision arms were made from an old tv antenna, free from a friend! only cost about $18 to make frame, uc, and dome.
totally agree with the guys that multiwii is best, gives more scope and tuning, as well as component options.
hope it gives ideas for you and your students
nasgul is offline Find More Posts by nasgul
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:55 AM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,157 Posts
I will have to look but I may have some stuff I can donate. I am all about teaching the kids, and stuff like this will keep them outta trouble. He He...
tc3wins is offline Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:30 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Man View Post
Hello,

The idea hit me early this morning (about 1:30 am, ha) to give my students a project involving multi rotor helicopters!

So, this thread will document the journey and I have no plans except one: it has to be inexpensive because all funding comes out of my pocket. I also want this to be their project, not mine. They build it, they set it up, they fly it - very important.

Although I only know it by name, I like the idea of using an inexpensive board like the KK (?) but I'm open to comments, suggestions and recommendations.

I want this to be a scratch build - that's a vital aspect of this endeavor. Other than that, and keeping the budget very low, I'm open for any useful feedback.

My realistic budget? If I let them "borrow" one of my radios, use my batteries, charger and tools, then I'm hoping to fund this with less than $250, if possible. Based on some of the conversations here, I would think that's very "doable" but we'll see.

We'll be modeling the parts using SolidWorks and I'll look into the AMA guidelines for a high school club.

I'm excited about this project - thanks & happy buildin' & flyin'
Your budget is more than enough. The frame, motors, speed controller and wiring is a straight forward construction project. Minor soldering skills are required. The flight board is a matter of choice. The kk type is a self contained controller that does not need any computer connection once first programmed and is adjusted with a small screw driver. The simplest. The multiwii type controller has more advanced features and therefore needs more advanced adjusting and reports are it flies well. Many variations of both types. The $25 complete radio system works fairly well and you might consider one of them. Just an idea
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:51 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,209 Posts
Thanks everyone

First of all, for anyone considering donations to this project, if you'd like to verify the legitimacy of this project - and you should - PM me and I'll send you links to my school web site.

Personally, I wouldn't trust "just anyone" who posted something like this. I'm not asking for donations however I can see favorable results by accepting anything donated - yes, we'll take it an use them.

A couple years ago I asked for used I/C engines and had students model parts from them. A few rcgroups members sent me their old, unusable engines which I cleaned up and we still drag them out, use digital calipers and model parts from them. The best part is probably allowing the students to remove the case, take the engines apart and actually see in real life how things work.

So, I'm not asking for donations but I'll take them if anyone offers and please PM me to get my info, school web page, school email, et cetera.

Thanks again
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:07 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,627 Posts
I wasn't going to mention this but then decided since they are kids...

I had put together a build package for the students after kk changed his design so it would work with my rx. Gathered all the parts and laid out the pcb in cad then sent it in for fabrication. The controller boards came back and I assembled everything and it looked good. Decided to make a programming run to make sure I had it all ready for the students to assemble one. Programmed the board, squatted down, powered up the quad and stood up. Like in the movies, it twitched its props to say "I'm alive", and then came on full throttle and flew up and hit me in the face. Nine stitches to the cheek where it almost cut through to the bone. Code has been changed since then but once the props are on it becomes a deadly machine. If you have one of the heavy steel shop stools setting around it makes a good guard to make sure its going to behave itself. Not to deter you as its a great idea for learning just sharing my experience

Hah! Someone just emailed me saying I talk to much. Take that!
Never heard of such a thing
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Last edited by pug398; Nov 15, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:09 AM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,157 Posts
anything with blades is deadly. and yes always take all the safety precautions.
tc3wins is offline Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:29 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,209 Posts
Yes, many thanks

Priority #1 --> safety, no compromises
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:23 AM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
^^
Call me sadistic, but I'd like to see the kids faces when you crack open the Wii Motion. I imagine "destroying" a video game product would be considered sacrilegious to a teen.

Just an idea, but maybe you can put together and post a parts list and a synopsis of you build so those that can donate can do so effectively.
Good luck and keep us posted.
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:43 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSum View Post
. . . maybe you can put together and post a parts list and a synopsis of you build so those that can donate can do so effectively.
Great idea, here ya go:

Items I'm donating
---------------------
Radio (transmitter & receiver)
Batteries & charger (3S 2200 mAh, 25C or higher)
Tools, glue & mounting tape
Nylon tie wraps
Cameras (to record project development and for in-flight video and photos)

Additional items required for Project
---------------------
Frame
Props
ESC's
Motors & prop adapters
Control Board
Wire & connectors
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:06 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,178 Posts
The frame will be the easiest part. You could collect some pics of examples and let them figure out how to build it.

Talking about saftey you should also think about the safety of your material.
Besides props you will need props, props & props.

Or you let them build something like this:

For your inspiration you can use the forum function for browsing the attachments of either a thread or a single user, i.e. /shameless self promotion:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...ttach&u=316305

EDIT: Oh ... and you should let them "study" Jim's Mega Info:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097355

That'll keep them amused for a while.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kinderkram; Nov 15, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Man View Post
Great idea, here ya go:

Items I'm donating
---------------------
Radio (transmitter & receiver)
Batteries & charger (3S 2200 mAh, 25C or higher)
Tools, glue & mounting tape
Nylon tie wraps
Cameras (to record project development and for in-flight video and photos)

Additional items required for Project
---------------------
Frame
Props
ESC's
Motors & prop adapters
Control Board
Wire & connectors
I was hoping you could be a bit more specific on the specs, but at least we have somewhat of an idea of what your looking for.

I can donate a FLYHIGH300 Flight board if this fits into your plans. Let me know if this works for you:

Anyway, this would be a great opportunity for some of our vendors here to give a little bit back to our community and support the education of our future. I may even be interested in paying shipping to a vendor for the donation to your project.
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:52 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,209 Posts
Thanks kinderkram & CheckSum

Quote:
I was hoping you could be a bit more specific on the specs, but at least we have somewhat of an idea of what your looking for.
Sorry - part of my problem with the vagueness of my list is due to being new to multi rotor aircraft. I have successfully flown my Gaui 300X-S for a few hours but after reaching a problem with it that I cannot solve, it's been shelved indefinitely.

Quote:
I can donate a FLYHIGH300 Flight board if this fits into your plans. Let me know if this works for you . . .
That's incredibly nice - thanks but maybe I won't need it because I had a Seeedunio Mega delivered last week that I bought from Sid3ways (at the rcgroups classified section). I'd like to donate that board if it would work well but won't I need to add some sort of shield (?) to make the S/Mega work? If so, then the control board solution would be at least partly solved.

I guess it's obvious I know next to nothing about the Seeeduino Mega and how to use it with a quad although I do dabble with my Arduino Uno on occasion with variable success rates.

For the frame, I'd really enjoy going with something that was totally home brew, assembled from "off the shelf" items obtained at Home Depot or similar. We can cut/saw, drill and so forth - no problem. And I'm not opposed to going small but I would like to have something that flies without requiring "gigantic skill" to putter around with. We have huge, beautiful fields to fly in behind my school. LINK

And, this was the post that inspired this project --> LINK

Thanks again
Last edited by Buzz_Man; Nov 15, 2011 at 04:58 PM.