HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:22 PM
littleton, colorado
Joined Jan 2003
307 Posts
1/72nd scale pt boat running gear?

Does anybody have a good source or suggestions for driveshafts, motors and props for converting 1/72nd scale pt boats like the revell 109, revell schnellboot S-100, tamiya Vosper etc.? now that small r/c gear is so cheap and plentiful, I can't seem to find a good source for props and drivelines. is anyone out there r/c-ing these small boats, and if so, what set up are you using? although I know these are scale boats, i would like them to have plenty of speed for added fun.
Any help in this area is greatly appreciated! thanks to all who reply, steve.
sgonzo is offline Find More Posts by sgonzo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:36 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,111 Posts
Tachikaze is doing a conversion of the schnell boat.
http://groups.msn.com/QueensOwnAxisC...onversion.msnw

He is building his own drive lines from KS brass stock, and I did some casting to make some propellers for him, but he was still undecided as to what prop to use. The stock propellers were too steeply pitched, as I recall. I believe he was also planning on using only one propeller as most of the motors available will easily overdrive the boat.

Drive line image

I am sure he will pop in and make some more comments.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Sep 25, 2003, 09:34 PM
littleton, colorado
Joined Jan 2003
307 Posts
Hi, Umi- Thanks a million for the quick reply and the great info. I checked out Tachikaze's ships (awesome!), and I will be watching with great interest the build of the Schellboot. The kit is very nice and well-detailed, way better than the old, ill-fitting Revell kits I grew up making.
If you do cast some props, please let me know if you'd like to sell any of them. I have mostly been into electric r/c planes, so I have a lot to learn about the boats. thanks again, steve
sgonzo is offline Find More Posts by sgonzo
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:13 AM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,051 Posts
Here is a picture of the driveline and motor in the Revell S-100 Schnellboote. The motor is a camera rewind motor that I obtained from All Electronicshttp://www.allelectronics.com/
The drive line is a stuffing tube made of brass. The current driveline is a piano wire that is connected to the shaft of the motor with 1/16" ID vinyl tubing. I use 5-minute epoxy to glue the tube to the driveline and the motor shaft. I find that CA glue is too brittle and breaks often.
I was unable to find a brass rod small enough to fit into the stuffing tube that I made, that is why the piano wire. I will need to come back and try to make a brass rod fit if I can run it on the lathe without bending it. The piano wire, because of the differences in the metals will produce electrolysis and rust up. You can use it, but plan on tearing down the drive line often to clean it out and grease it.
Tachikaze is offline Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:15 AM
太刀風
Joined Jan 2003
1,051 Posts
Here is the driveline as it exits the hull. The white material is a plastic puddy that I use to fill in the defects created by drilling out the original hub.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:18 AM
太刀風
Joined Jan 2003
1,051 Posts
The stuffing tube is made with several different size tubes. I picked the brass rod that I wanted for a drive shaft and then use two brass tubes of sequencial size to make the bushigs. I will cut bushings that are small but big enough to work with. I usually cut about 1/8 to 1/4" tubes of the first two sizes. They are then soldered into the final diameter tube, which ends up being the exterior drive line.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 02:02 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,542 Posts
People who race electric boats often use a flexible wire drive similar to yours. See: http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ght=wire+drive
Sorry, that thread wasn't about wire drives, but a search on the same forum should find more.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Last edited by martin richards; Sep 30, 2003 at 02:29 AM.