HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2003, 01:12 PM
Santa Barbara/Roseville, California
Joined Dec 2001
306 Posts
Y harness for ailerons, how does it work.

I am looking to use a Y-harness that I purchase for the use of aileron control for the Corsair, but when I hooked up the Y-connector both servos would go in the same directions making it usless for ailerons.
Now i own a Flash 5X TX and I was wondering what I could do with the TX and Y-Harness to make some intersting flaperon/flap combos for the plane?

If you have any tips on setting up the Flash 5X TX for the corsair airlerons I would be grateful.

Also, if you know of any links that I could check out that would provides some tips on using the Flash 5X TX I would be excited because the Computer TX is new to me since I have only owned Focus 3 and Skysport 4 channel.

Thanks for all of your help,

Mike Arnoult
mike93 is offline Find More Posts by mike93
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2003, 01:40 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Mike,

A Y harness is just that - it puts two servos in parallel and they will both move the same way unless you get inside one and move some wires around (not recommended).

To do any sort of flaperon mixing you need to plug one aileron into the aileron channel and the other into the flap channel, then invoke the mixer. I don't think the Flash 5 has the capability. The manual is online at Hitec's site if you don't have one.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 25, 2003, 01:56 PM
NC Mountains
Joined Aug 2003
80 Posts
Its is capable

Yes, the Flash 5 is Elevon and Flaperon capable. I use the Elevon capability for the PCW. I was going to use the Flaperan for the Crazy max but ended up going with the one servo set-up insead.
DYUBIKE? is online now Find More Posts by DYUBIKE?
Old Sep 25, 2003, 01:57 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2000
725 Posts
The Y-harness works just like you said. All you do is put the output arm on one of the servos on the right side, and the other output arm on the left side and voila ... the ailerons move in opposite directions.

Tom
columbiarcdude is offline Find More Posts by columbiarcdude
Old Sep 25, 2003, 02:01 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,019 Posts
Granted, they will both move the same. But if your using them for ailerons in the wing, they will be mounted facing opposite directions so the 'movement' will also be reversed. A 'Y' cord works fine for this.

To do a flaperon setup, a 'Y' cord won't work. With the Flash 5, aileron servos need to be plugged into channels 1+5 separately.

I've got 2 Flash 5's myself and after tossing the manual aside (it stinks), I dove in head first and think I have finally mastered most all the standard and modified setups with this radio.
It's not that bad, really.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Last edited by William A; Sep 25, 2003 at 02:16 PM.