HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4 Posts
Discussion
How to learn Aerobatics? Books, URLS, Clinics?

Hi all,

I started flying RC planes again after a long break. Normal taxiing and flying is not usually a challenge for me. I would like to learn to do aerobatics: rolls, inverted flight and cuban eights and stuff like that. The long term goal is to fly 3D eventually. Now my question for you: are there some ressources you could advice for me? I am looking for an online Training at best!

Thank you in advance for your help,

regards,

Max
s1l3ntb0b is offline Find More Posts by s1l3ntb0b
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:50 AM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Get yourself a EPP 3d Foamy. Twisted Hobbys makes some really good ones but there are other choices out there as well. While these are very capable 3d learning machines, they are also excellent for more normal aerobatic maneuvering as well and they are very durable so when you make mistakes, they aren't nearly as costly.

For 3d maneuvers, look into the bonedoc videos. For more normal stuff, they are mostly combos of rolling, loops, and spins.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:32 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1l3ntb0b View Post
Hi all,

I started flying RC planes again after a long break. Normal taxiing and flying is not usually a challenge for me. I would like to learn to do aerobatics: rolls, inverted flight and cuban eights and stuff like that. The long term goal is to fly 3D eventually. Now my question for you: are there some ressources you could advice for me? I am looking for an online Training at best!

Thank you in advance for your help,

regards,

Max
A good starting point.....
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/index.htm
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:16 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Yeah get a foamy beater to practice with - best thing I ever did.

Most people think once they learn basic flying, they are on their own, but you can get instruction for aerobatics. If you have the Phoenix simulator, I would be happy to teach you the basics online. Doing 3D is all about "feel" and you won't be good at it until you have a good feel for the air - a lot of it can not be broken down into technical explanations. Like, I know when to give a bump of throttle in a hover, but I don't know how I know, and I can't explain how to get that feeling. I can explain the technical details of hovering and why we goose the throttle and such, but I can't explain how you will feel it out when you're in the air. You just need practice to learn that. And you need to practice every day - 3D foamies fly good in the wind, so get over your fear of that and get out there every day regardless of the weather. Having a plane that is convenient to fly at your local park will really help with that.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:50 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
1,953 Posts
Get yourself a copy of Scott Stoops book "The Pilot's Guide to Mastering Radio Controlled Flight". Scott, the author, is a commercial pilot for a major airline, a stunt pilot flying full scale competition, an accomplished RC pilot, and a master RC plane designer. Many of the planes manufactured and sold by 3DHobbyShop.com are designed by Scott. His book is awesome going from flight theory to basic flight to aggressive 3D tumbling and spins. It will be the best spent $24 of your RC experience.

3D Hobby Shop 55" Edge 540.mp4 (5 min 22 sec)

Good luck and happy flying.

Freddy
Fredriksson is online now Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:29 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
I recommend getting a simulator. The one I have is called Real Flight and includes lessons from competition aerobatic flyers on how to do the various maneuvers. You can see how they do them then practice without having to worry about running into trouble.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:20 AM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
Go to the AMA(academy of model aeronautics) website--look under publications--click on sport aviator.They have several articles on how to make various manuvers. This will not train you to do so, but gives great info on how to go about learning such aerobatics.--Bo
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:37 AM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
Went back and looked at site--some articles a little hard to find. Click on original site navigation, then advanced training. Gives the basics for loops, rolls, rudder use.--Bo
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper