HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:58 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,247 Posts
Well, from what I've seen, witches tend to have big noses anyway. And they're hooked.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:14 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,592 Posts
You are lucky to get away with extended bench testing of a motor. The scorpions have very high temp magnets and wire insulation. They tolerate more abuse than most. Some motors will release their magic smoke when bench tested for more than a couple minutes.
escs are switching designs so full throttle amps are seen all the time, just switched on and off at higher rates for full throttle. As a result, the buffer of 75% of rated value is often used. So, you are at the limit for the esc and part throttle makes them run hotter than full throttle. May wish to consider a 100A ESC for 4S flying.

At least nose heavy planes will generally fly again while tail heavy planes may fly only once...
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:16 PM
Cut it twice, still too short
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Finished and ready to fly! It's pretty darn cold out, so the maiden won't be for awhile yet. I installed the heavy brass prop hub and she balanced perfectly. So after repositioning the battery the only dead weight was the 2.5 oz hub nut. AUW with the battery is 7 lbs 12ozs, giving me a wing load of 17.1 ozs/SF, I think I can live with that.

Took it outside today for some outdoor shots, would have been better with some sunshine though.

Doug
dglo is offline Find More Posts by dglo
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:05 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,464 Posts
Beautiful! Gawd I wish we lived closer so we could get both our Jungmeisters together! You will be fine at that weight, and on 4S you will have buckets of power on tap.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:18 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,525 Posts
Mighty fine lookin bird! Just might have to build mine one of these days. I've got the Gary Allen plans and they need a little tweaking too.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:40 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,247 Posts
Gorgeous!!

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:11 AM
Joined Oct 2002
3,592 Posts
Very nice! As a friend would say, Deluxe!
Old May 05, 2013, 07:03 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,464 Posts
We've got to be getting close to maiden day!?
Old May 05, 2013, 09:54 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,081 Posts
Bevo would be proud, a very nice looking bird. Now you have to learn to fly the inverted ribbon cut

WRT amps,props, etc....
Expect to see about 15% unload int he air, if not more.
On test flying my new Precious Metal, I found that I am pulling 66 amps , static, on the ground. In the air for 2 min 48 sec, I pulled 1850 mAh out of the 5000 lipo. Quite a bit less than you would think for almost 3 minutes of hauling the mail.
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Last edited by mrittinger; May 05, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old May 08, 2013, 05:06 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Maiden Day!

Did the deed! It went very well,.....well, at least nothing broken. The Jungmeister flew great! If she had a better pilot it would have been very impressive, as it is I was more than a little rusty, only having flown a few times last year and once so far this year. Still though, the first flight only took a few clicks of left aileron and a couple down elevator. I couldn't get the timer working on my TX for some reason, so I guesstimated about a 6 minute flight, greased the landing ( best one all morning actually), did some deep breathing to slow my heart rate, and re-charged the battery. The motor and battery were barely warm to the touch and it took a little over 3000 mah to re-fill the 5000mah tank. Next flight included a couple loops, a few stall turns, and one rather sloppy cuban 8. I do wish she had come out a little lighter, gonna have to work at slowing her down for landing. I had 3 flights total and about 10 landings, 4 of which ended in the proverbial somersault onto her back, partly due to the grass needed mowing, but mostly my lack of skills. PLENTY of power though, not overpowered, but enough to get me out of trouble when needed, and cruises nicely at just over half throttle up to 3/4, full throttle rarely needed.

With some more practice on my part, this is going to be a FUN, FUN, FUN plane to fly. One more time, Thank you Von J for the inspiration and guidance.

Sorry, no video, I was alone (wouldn't have wanted anyone to see my knees shaking anyway). Here are a few pre-flight shots.

Doug
Old May 08, 2013, 05:32 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,506 Posts
Congratulations then!
Another milestone passed.
A couple more flights and the fright element will be gone - then you can really enjoy the model.
Well done!

Robin
eye4wings is online now Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old May 08, 2013, 05:47 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,464 Posts
Congratulations! I never had any doubt that you would have a great flying model on your hands. Well done! I bet it will quickly become your favourite flyer. I know mine sure has. Enjoy the fruits of your labour!
Old May 08, 2013, 07:27 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Thanks guys, the "fright element" as Robin puts it is a big factor at times. I know with just a little more practice my confidence will return, it always does! In my case at least, it's multiplied many times over by the time and effort invested. I think it was about 14 months altogether, so I think a little bit of my soul goes in the air with her, sounds corny I know, but true. Maybe I should just buy and fly like so many people these days, but it just wouldn't be the same.
Old May 08, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Oct 2002
3,592 Posts
Great news! Even better that nothing damaged in the sommersaults. She will be a fun one in the stable to choose from.

Hope she is a long time occupant of your hanger.

David
Old May 09, 2013, 02:01 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,506 Posts
I can still get an attack of the frights when preparing to fly even a model as sedate and well-mannered as my Dragonfly if I haven't flown for a while, but that seems to be a preferable state in which to commit aviation to complacency. Most of my accidents have been when I haven't been keyed up for the unexpected and taken too long to react.

As for the satisfaction of building your own models over buying one ready-built, there is just no contest in my mind. Personal achievement is doubled. Design your own as well and it is trebled.

Robin
eye4wings is online now Find More Posts by eye4wings