SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:28 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,519 Posts
That looks promising Frank - thanks.

Only Tiger Moth available, but just a different board layout for the Fox Moth due to the speaking (shouting?) hole in the back cabin wall I guess.

Next problem... what should the instrument layout be? I have a picture (drawing) of the layout of the left-hand panel (dating back to Flight Magazine in the 30s), with three dials, but absolutely nothing for the right-hand panel. I hesitate to write to the current owner and beg for a photo... though maybe he'd be impressed enough with my interest in his aircraft to take a couple of shots for me?
Anyone had better luck on the internet than I have?
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Last edited by eye4wings; Nov 28, 2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: post extended
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:32 AM
Cut it twice, still too short
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Got mine here :
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scale_rc_...ts_390_ctg.htm
dglo is offline Find More Posts by dglo
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:19 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Haven't posted in a while but I've been busy! Every step of the painting process I say "never again"! But when it's all done and touched up I really like it. Sure is a pain in the tail feathers though! After I finished painting the white, I put on a coat of poly-C hoping it would help the masking peel off without lifting the paint, which did help but also had an added benefit. The red paint that did bleed here and there, especially aroung the N number, was pretty easy to scrape off with the tip of an exacto knife. A wipe down with a damp cloth, a little touch-up paint, and as long as you don't look too close I'm satisfied! After a few days dry time, I'll do the pinstriping, add a few decals, and clear coat everything with the poly-C.

Doug
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:24 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Got the windscreen made up. Used an index card to make the pattern, cut the plastic, and formed the angles by heating and bending over the edge of a wood block
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:47 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
My first attempt at making the fenders was definitely not a success. Not having a wheel slighty larger than the actual wheels, I made a foam wheel on my dremel lathe. I cut the glass cloth into rectangles and tried to build one at a time, which didn't work at all, (see pic). After re-thinking the whole process, I cleaned up the dummy wheel, and figured out that if I cut the cloth on a bias it formed to the curves a whole lot better. I also cut just one long strip (diagonally) across the sheet of cloth from one corner to the other, which gave me a piece about 4 feet long. I just wrapped it round the wheel, gooping on the resin as I went, aand got four layers built up. After it dried I smoothed it out with filler and sanded it while still on the "lathe", cut the whole thing in half, then formed and shaped the fenders with the foam still in it, much easier to work with that way, then dug out the foam. Perfect! If at first you don't succeed...yada yada yada (Sorry, just watched an old episode of Seinfeld)

Doug
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:18 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,474 Posts
Oh yeah, those fenders are slick!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:02 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,519 Posts
Looking good Doug!

My own effort have fallen back to my customary near-enough standard! - tried masking tape for body lines and got so much bleed under that I had to go the entire length with aluminium dope to cover it all so I might just have well saved the tape and painted freehand in the first place!

Instruments?... similar story - given the ineffectiveness of my best intentions to produce a superior finish the skinflint won out and I spent an hour or so with Photoshop rearranging the elements of the Tiger Moth dash into something I guessed stood a chance of being somewhere near what was on the Fox Moth.

Reg letters I have recently resorted to taking a memory stick of files down to the local print bar where I can get A4 colour sheets printed for 50 pence a throw. That amount of blue would have exhausted my colour cartridge at a stroke. (been there, done it, not making THAT mistake again! - not at 20 a cartridge (like I'm ever going to pay what Lexmark ask!))
Printed on 80gm paper, cut out and stuck on with a smear of wood glue they are at least quick to do and a better finish than I could achieve otherwise.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:23 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,152 Posts
Nice build, another great scratch builder in my own back yard
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Lots of pics to share, they tell the story. The fuse is pretty much done. It just needs the windscreen and cowl installed. Next up is gluing the ailerons into the wings, get the wings mounted, all the struts set up and the rigging worked out.

I have one question; The cabane struts install by sliding into snug fitting brass tubes in the fuse. Their exact final position affects the upper wing alignment quite a bit, so I was thinking of getting the wing mounted and in position, then using thin CA to wick into the tubes where the cabane wires slide in. There's about 2 inches of wire inside the tube, do you think it will be strong enough? If I use epoxy and then slide the cabanes in place, I'm afraid it will start to setup before I can get the wing aligned properly. What do you think?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:16 PM
Falling with style!
USA, WA, Freeland
Joined Nov 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglo View Post
I have one question; The cabane struts install by sliding into snug fitting brass tubes in the fuse. Their exact final position affects the upper wing alignment quite a bit, so I was thinking of getting the wing mounted and in position, then using thin CA to wick into the tubes where the cabane wires slide in. There's about 2 inches of wire inside the tube, do you think it will be strong enough? If I use epoxy and then slide the cabanes in place, I'm afraid it will start to setup before I can get the wing aligned properly. What do you think?
Wow, the Bucker looks great.
For cabane strut alignment, I think the N struts are the key. If they are built correctly, they should hold the wings in correct alignment, Right? The center section or the top wing may sag a little, but a simply fixture (stick) ought to correct that. So perhaps you assemble the wings according to the N struts, and then set the cabine tubes in epoxy according to the top wing?

I am probably missing something from this distance, this is just what popped into my head.

When accomplishing the same for my Pitts Special, The cabanes were patterned than built per pattern. Then glued in aligned parralell with centerline, and thrustline. Later, when the wing was ready to cover, it was assembled to the airplane via I struts, with the cabane eyelets (one for front spar, and one for rear spar) poking through lower wing skin sheeting. Then a long drill was hand turned through the structure to pass through the eyelets, creating holes in the spars and leading edge skin. This hole then received the wing mounting wire. The Pitts only has two upper wing attach point for cabanes, where the Bucker has four, but this kind of attachment could still be used.

Cheers,
Rick
Rick Ludtke is offline Find More Posts by Rick Ludtke
Last edited by Rick Ludtke; Dec 31, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:42 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Details, details! Some times the smallest things take a lot of time. I made some hooks for rigging attachment points to the bottom wing and epoxied them in place. Made little U shaped pieces for the interplane strut X bracing. Also found some great rigging line. This being a larger bipe than I've built in the past, I wanted some line with a bigger diameter than the spiderwire I usually use. It's ice fishing line (not a pastime I care to indulge in, I like fish but I'll buy it in the store and stay warm). It also has a fair amount of stretch to it, so I think I can put just a little tension on it and it shouldn't go slack with minor changes in the wing structure, so I'm not bothering with any kind of adjustment in the setup (turnbuckles). Made a bunch of aluminum tube crimps, and L-brackets for mounting to the tops of the struts. I've already installed the cabane bracing wires, did this with the wing in place to get the right tension, and installed the windscreen and made up and installed the fuel gauge. Next up, final assembly. This won't be an easy one to assemble and disassemble, so I'm real glad it fits in my pick-up in one piece

Doug

P.S. Frank, I was wondering about the CG, The plan says 4-1/2 inches from LE of top wing, did that work well for you or did you change it?
Last edited by dglo; Jan 01, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:44 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,474 Posts
Yikes! I fear I have been bested. I think you have won the Jungmeister cup. Your model is really coming alive with those details and the great looking colour scheme. I just wish I was there to see the grin on your face when you fly it!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:11 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Looking great!

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:18 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,519 Posts
Looks superb Doug!

I always admire the superior finish guys like you manage to achieve, but never have the patience (or skill) to do the same.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:23 AM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. But Frank, I don't know about this Jungmeister cup you speak of, but you're the one with the awards!
Last edited by dglo; Jan 02, 2013 at 08:31 AM.