HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2003, 07:18 AM
Joined Sep 2003
130 Posts
Another Dandy trial, another dive to it's death. :(

Well after fixing my Dandy I went out yesterday afternoon for another atempt at placing this bird in the sky.

Prop was on correctly this time, ailerons were set right, flight check before takeoff proved all was working right.

Walked to the middle of the field, faced the light breeze, powered it up and handlaunched the beast.

flew straight from me about 7 feet pitched to left with nose going down and BAM! hit the grass hard and shattered in to tiny pieces.

the motor ended up where the battery was, the battery ended up out side hanging by the wire, no damage to the wing, rx of ESC.

So that was a bummer, I guess I was not meant to fly the Dandy.

But at least not all was a disaster that afternoon for I took out my Mini Piper, hand launched it and up it went and this time I broke my all time record of 4 consecutive loops in a row making it 5.

As far as my poor Dandy... I still have the wing, motor and ESC.

Does anyone know of a foam plane that will accept the Dandy's motor/ESC/battery? I hate to have all this stuff go to waste.

Thanks
Skawrpion is offline Find More Posts by Skawrpion
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2003, 07:45 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,847 Posts
Skawrpion ,
I am sorry to hear about your experience. I am thinking wind sheer or tiny evil creatures that you can't see setting on the left wingtip causin a tip stall. Just keep trying. You did mention that one wing tip was higher than the other. My SB sport developed that problem after a rebuild. It does fly a little differently, but I was able to trim it out. How are you at landing the other plane you have. If you have got that down pretty good, I will suggest something that you may think is crazy. Try the Tantrum. It will fly so slowly and is so lite. and it is very hard to build with a bad wing. Takes some time and thought, but it is the best pure flyer I know. Of course I do have limited experience. Just think about it. If you fly over grass, don't use the landing gear and land it slow. I believe the stall speed has to be 3 mph or less.

My first gas plane 20+ years ago was a Goldberg Eaglet 25 trainer. I taught myself to fly with it and I must have rebuilt it at least 10 times. I crashed it about every way imaginable. Lost an engine. Had the elevator and rudder control horns pull out. Lost motor control at the same time. Full speed in from about 80 ft. up. Carried all the pieces in a box. Crashed it again the next Saturday.

Good luck and keep us posted. You will win.

LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Sep 25, 2003, 08:49 AM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
Sorry to here about your difficulties. Did you know that Doug at Mountain Models sells spare fuselage kits?

I would recommend next time try ROG for your first flight. I'm pretty much a newbie and have found that ROG is easier for me than handlaunch, especially on a new plane. I also had a major nose in disaster on a plane that I tried handlaunching for its first flight .

Good luck
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Sep 25, 2003, 09:51 AM
Joined Sep 2003
130 Posts
Thanks you guys for the posts.

LcJ,
Yes I am pretty good at landing my Mini Piper, I have taken of the landing gear and it slides in infront of me on the grass pretty well.
I will keep the tantrum in mind and will still try to fly the Dandy when i get some more hobby funds in by purchasing another fuse.

Right now I am just looking for a cheap foamie that would accept the Dandy's inner guts motor/batt/esc.

robs,
ROG is not an option for me for I can only got to a park close to me that has grass that is at least 2" or longer, I have tried but the plane goes nowhere fast, this park is the closest to my house.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:27 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,847 Posts
Skawrpion ,
Don't laugh till I finish. Go to Wally World and buy a large foam glider. Cut it down to a size that matches the Dandy Fuse.

A little 5 minute epoxy and a little imagination and a little packing tape for the rudder and elevator and you can probably come up with something in an evening. You can either cut out a slot for the battery or rubber band it on the bottom. before you mount the dowels for the wing hold down use rubber bands and try to get the CG right at the Spar. You can then moun the servos in slots in the fuselage, be sure you have enough length on the cable to reach the rx. This goes for everything that needs to reach the rx. kind of rubber band every thing to see where you need to mount the motor. If you can about 1 to 2 degrees down and about the same to the right. Someone can come in and correct this. You can hollow out a spot for the motor stick and epoxy it in place.

Just a thought, but it would be cheap, light and doable.

May the force be with you.

Peace,
LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:59 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Skawrpion,

Hang on to everything. I have something in the works that I want you to test. It will take a week or three but I will be sending you something to test. I don't want to talk about it tilll it's further along. (All you ezoners it's just a trainer so don't get too excited.)

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:24 AM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
LOL Doug
The MM rumour mill goes into overdrive.
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:25 PM
Joined Sep 2003
130 Posts
Thanks LcJ for the idea, but where's Wally world? is that the same place where the griswalds went for vacation?

Doug,
Yes I am holding on to everything including the Dandy's wing, I made it a life promise to myself that I will fly this bird even if it kills me I am happy to hear you are working on a trainer and even more excited and honored that you are willing to have me test it. Like I have said before your customer service and caring goes beyond anything I have ever experienced in the 38 years I have on my back
I can hold my own pretty well with the Mini Piper which is what I have learned on, I have about 15+ hours now on this plane and loops and landings are no longer an issue.

I just did not want the Dandy's motor/batt/esc to sit around so I was willing to put it into a cheap foamer and get some use out of it until I decided to tackle another Dandy.

After my first blunders (which were a few to many) I do agree with everyone here when the words "easy assembly and great quality" go hand in hand with Mountain Models planes, I won't ever give up and I eventually I will want a Tantrum and a Switchback along with a Dandy added to my hangar. It is just like Arrow said when he PMed me, "Put the Dandy on the shelf for a while and work on another project to better hone your skills. Then go back to the Dandy later and you shall see the light"

Thanks everyone.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:29 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,847 Posts
Skawrpion,
sorry, Walmart but any such store would do.

Peace,
LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:35 PM
Crash happens! :)
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,161 Posts
Shawrpion- You lucky dog, gettin to tryout a new creation from Doug before anyone else. I am jealous.
Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Arrow
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:37 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Did you get the ailerons working the right way around? As I recall you had them backward at your last attempt. Reversed controls make for a VERY short-lived model, especially from a hand launch......
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:45 PM
Admitted RCoholic
Apache Junction, AZ
Joined Jul 2002
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dpoles
LOL Doug
The MM rumour mill goes into overdrive.
LOL Don't you really mean HYPERdrive?
Dugster is offline Find More Posts by Dugster
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:48 PM
Crash happens! :)
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,161 Posts
I thought it was Hackerdrive!
Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Arrow
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:51 PM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
Skawrpion,

I'm in the same boat, the closest park/field only has longish grass, but I drive a little farther for a maiden just so that I can ROG. I'm jealous you get to test Doug's newest creation.

Doug,
Now thats a teaser if I ever heard one. I can just hear the rcgroups rumors now: "did you hear Doug is going to ..." BTW: I'm available for beta testing the Staggerwing when you get around to it
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:58 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,847 Posts
Robs,
You and about 100 other folks, me included. I will even pay to beta a MM bipe whatever it is.

Peace,
LcJ
RCG Plus Member