SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:36 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Sep 2003
116 Posts
Discussion
Optima 6 or Minima 6 2.4 Antenna Installation

Hi All,

I just purchased a new 2.4 module for my Eclipse 7 and two (2) Optima 6 receivers. Upon receiving the package I realize the Optima 6 only has on (1) antenna. As I strictly fly sailplanes, most with kevlar and carbon fiber fuselage and pods (Topaz, Bubble Dancer, Sagitta) and I only need three perhaps four channels the Optima 6 sounded perfect. However, I'm concerned that regardless where I exit the fuselage with single antenna the surrounding CF will block the signal.

So, I'm faced with the following three options:
1. Return everything.
2. Upgrade to the Optima 9 receiver. Double the cost but has two antennas
3. Exchange the Optima 6 for the Minima 6E 6-Channel 2.4GHz AFHSS Micro Receiver? It has two antennas...

HiTec states, "The Minima is the excellent choice for modelers flying smaller aircraft." Not sure exactly what that means or if it will work with my 2 ~ 3 M, three and four channel sailplanes? As HiTech states, "The Minima is a full range receiver..."so can I use it or not in my larger then "smaller aircraft"? Also does the Minima support both "Normal Mode" and "Scan Mode". The documentation does not specifically say it does... I really don't need the telemetry so the more advance and expensive receivers don't really give me anything...

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I really appreciate hearing from you all on this...

Thanks,
Ron
Ron Kay is offline Find More Posts by Ron Kay
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:23 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kay View Post
Hi All,I just purchased a new 2.4 module for my Eclipse 7 and two (2) Optima 6 receivers. Upon receiving the package I realize the Optima 6 only has on (1) antenna. As I strictly fly sailplanes, most with kevlar and carbon fiber fuselage and pods (Topaz, Bubble Dancer, Sagitta) and I only need three perhaps four channels the Optima 6 sounded perfect. However, I'm concerned that regardless where I exit the fuselage with single antenna the surrounding CF will block the signal.
So, I'm faced with the following three options:
1. Return everything.
2. Upgrade to the Optima 9 receiver. Double the cost but has two antennas
3. Exchange the Optima 6 for the Minima 6E 6-Channel 2.4GHz AFHSS Micro Receiver? It has two antennas..
HiTec states, "The Minima is the excellent choice for modelers flying smaller aircraft." Not sure exactly what that means or if it will work with my 2 ~ 3 M, three and four channel sailplanes? As HiTech states, "The Minima is a full range receiver..."so can I use it or not in my larger then "smaller aircraft"? Also does the Minima support both "Normal Mode" and "Scan Mode". The documentation does not specifically say it does... I really don't need the telemetry so the more advance and expensive receivers don't really give me anything...Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I really appreciate hearing from you all on this...:confused Thanks,Ron
Information and pictures for mounting one antenna on CF fuselages, which may assist:
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Installation RX & BODA Antenna FAQ

. 2~3m 3ch & 4ch gilders that I am aware of, slip into the "small" class.
Greatest drawback of the Minima is the lack of telemetry to alert user to possible times of high servo current dropping voltage below that required by transceiver.
Rx battery telemetry is also very handy when setting up models as readers fequently comment on swapping out "bad" servos, leads and fixing rods & hinges.
. Minimum Voltage for Optima Transceivers is 3.5v.
. Minimum Voltage for Minima Receivers is 2.6v. (not transmitting)

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:52 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Sep 2003
116 Posts
Alan,

Thanks for the information and reply. Looks like I can indeed use the single antenna... Perhaps I'll consider the Minima in the future but try the Optima 6 that I have now...

Regards,
Ron
Ron Kay is offline Find More Posts by Ron Kay
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:00 PM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
506 Posts
I am using an Optima 6 receiver / Aurora 9 TX with full house telemetry in a Radian Pro. Foam not CF but no range problems at extreme height / distance.

Our flying site is a college with campus wide high power WIFI access points
Hugh P is offline Find More Posts by Hugh P