SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
That WTC don't seem that thick. The Neptune is only rated for 10 meter max, and it has a schedule I would say 30 pipe with thick plates. That WTC looks paper thin. I like the way it goes together though, I love the bulkhead design. Is it a light boat when it is completed? I am just curious.
shaneperch is offline Find More Posts by shaneperch
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:29 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
No easy way to say how thick it is. Seems to be around .050 or .060 thick. The WTC feels very solid like it would take quite a bit of pressure. So far with just the hull and WTC it is extremely light since it is all styrene so far.
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:05 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
Working on the aft deck

Constructing this model I am not going for 100 percent accuracy to the real submarine. Close enough is good for me. I am finding as I go along that I am seeing differences in what I am doing and what the real deal looks like. Anyone looking at this model in person will not know the difference. A lot of the things I am doing are going by pictures, so I am getting as close as I can to what I am seeing since I do not have exact drawings. As far as what is on the deck? I found this link which explains all of the details on the deck on one of the pages. Very helpful telling me what is what. http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/ I included a few pictures of the Marlin's aft deck.

Once the deck was cut out, it was filed and sanded to shape. The edges were sanded with 400 grit sandpaper to give it a smooth finished edge. A template was created to help measure and cut the deck supports. Having the template helped immensely. For the aft deck, supports will be placed between each of the flood holes. Once each deck support was at it's proper shape, a shim was added on the top of the support. The thickness of the hull where the deck was cutout was close to .080 thick. The deck 'planks' I will be using are .060 thick. So I added the .020 shim so the 'planks' will be flush with the hull-deck surface.
Last edited by ken_nj; May 05, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:30 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
The deck supports were glued in place and now ready for planking. I used Excel to create a layout of the deck and to help figure the distance between the planks. The outer planks will be .1 inch, all others will be .060 and the distance between them will be .030 inch. Planking tended to be tedious as the shims kept falling through. As you go on doing something like this you find ways to make things work better. As you can see in the pictures the spacing worked out nicely.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:15 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
284 Posts
Very impressive work so far . I really like the way you cut out the deck and planked it. I hope to make a Marlin someday. Greg
Greg W is offline Find More Posts by Greg W
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:20 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
Thanks Greg! Appreciate the compliments.

I seem to get very few comments yet people are looking at the pictures and the thread view count keeps going up but nobody is saying anything. And no questions. I'll keep posting but odd nobody is saying much.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:29 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
I thinks that's because it's fun to see how a project is growing, by just looking you can learn a lot.
On my boats i also used those styrene strips to build me some needed items, the only difference is, i first made a cardboard mold from the area where it would come.
This way you can place and calculate the right spots to place the strips, also the problem of dropping shims wil be solved since you are building on a piece of cardboard.
Here is a link to my page, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1449548&page=5
Take a look at post # 68, followed the same trick as you did, keep up the good work.

Greetings Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:00 PM
Formerly Nuke Power
United States, NY, Gloversville
Joined May 2007
426 Posts
This is really topnotch styrene work. This boat will look amazing.
Rogue Sub is offline Find More Posts by Rogue Sub
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:08 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Apr 2008
70 Posts
Ken,

First of all. this is a very exceptional build thread. I too have and unbuilt Marlin which I hesitated to finish worrying about working in styrene. No longer - keep up the good work.

Manfred,

I've also been following your build thread but now I have a question.

With both your's and Ken's planking system is there not a concern about air being trapped underneath the planking making any buoyancy calculations or diving rather difficult?

Dan
Roedj is offline Find More Posts by Roedj
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:11 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
Thanks guys! And I cannot wait for your updates Manfred, you do marvelous work! I did go back and look at post 68. I was not sure if I should do the deck like you did or right on the hull. You can see which way I went. Although a bit of a pain, it came out pretty good. Next week I will be posting a modified hatch that looks just like the one you did.

I'll keep posting away knowing I have good people watching over the thread.

Here we have a messenger buoy which you can see on the rear deck of the Marlin pics. Not too many good pictures of this so I went with what I could see. I estimated the diameter and used an online circumference calculator to figure the dimension to cut. I created the round jig you see in the second pic to help sort of glue the buoy round. The rest is a matter of glue and wait. I painted the inside before gluing the ends on. And the mounting bracket for this will be made later. That is all for this weekend.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:21 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
Dan, I was thinking of the same thing. I am hoping that water should flow through these planks with no problem. If you look at Skip's model on page two of this thread, I'm sure his boat works fine with the same type of deck. But since this will probably be my only sub, I'll leave that to those with more experience than me to answer.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:55 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
You don't have to worry about trapping air underneath the strips of styrene, allready made this kind of decking on my Type VIIC on the conningtower a few years ago.
Doesn't give any problems as long as the spaces between the strips is the same as the thickness of the used styrene strips, in my chase about 1 mm.

Greetings Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
Old May 05, 2012, 04:03 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
Forward deck

Cutting and planking for the forward deck followed much the same way as the aft deck. The large opening will get covered by a removable plate with perforated holes. This is also for a messenger buoy but is covered unlike the buoy located aft which is exposed.

What is located where and what each item is can be found on a pdf at this link, just look up SST2 or Marlin. http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/
Look at page temp005.
Old May 05, 2012, 10:59 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Apr 2008
70 Posts
Ken,

I took pictures of Skip's Marlin at the 2009 Subregatta. I am showing two of the of the aft and fore deck. His planking width is clearly wider than the spacing and yet he has no trouble.

Dan
Roedj is offline Find More Posts by Roedj
Old May 05, 2012, 11:48 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
Dan, Thanks for those pictures. Always good to have something else to see. There is someone that had a few decks made up that I think were laser cut and I think that is what Skip has on his deck. There are plenty of openings that should not be a problem with water as Manfred said a few posts ago.