SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
Rant
DX6i - Aileron pot crapped out mid flight

Windy day, 15-25 mph winds, very choppy. So, you expect a little wildness in the air. Then things get really hairy. Plane starts rolling violently away and downwind from me. What the hey?!?! I have elevator and throttle, so radio isn't browning out... I manage to have a controlled crash, only loose the landing gear. Bring the plane back and notice ailerons are locked to the maxed out position in one direction. What the hey? They are on separate channels on the RX!! I think the only reason I was able to land was that I had a little bit of rudder mixed in with the airelons.

Come home, find nothing wrong with plane or receiver. Put radio in monitor mode, the monitor is stuck full left. Open it up, find one side of the pot shorted out.

So, what now? Do you think Horizon will send me a replacement pot assembly? Or, will they require me to send the radio in?? Has anyone replaced one of these themselves? I flew for years with a futaba 72mhz radio and never saw problems like this.
Rifraf is offline Find More Posts by Rifraf
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:48 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Radio will have to go to HH. If you're used to Futaba quality, Spektrum is a disappointment. Glad you didn't crash too bad.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:53 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Radio will have to go to HH. If you're used to Futaba quality, Spektrum is a disappointment. Glad you didn't crash too bad.
I am eagerly awaiting Futabas announcement for its new radios.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:25 PM
Foam, foam on the range....
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifraf View Post
Has anyone replaced one of these themselves?
I haven't replaced one, but I've repaired one with an intermittent connection. It was a rudder pot, and I did the other one on that stick as well, as a precaution. See my blog for details.

If the pot is beyond repair, you may be able to replace the track assembly with a similar one, without stripping down the gimbal. It's 5k linear from memory.

Cheers
didge is offline Find More Posts by didge
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:01 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Pot has three terminals. Do you mean two wires shorted? How is it possible? They are wide apart. Do you mean wire insulation was stripped where two wires are stranded?

If insulation became stripped, all you need is to insulate it with electric tape.

If pot or other parts were damaged as the result of short, which is rare, send it in.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:46 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
Pot has three terminals. Do you mean two wires shorted? How is it possible? They are wide apart. Do you mean wire insulation was stripped where two wires are stranded?

If insulation became stripped, all you need is to insulate it with electric tape.

If pot or other parts were damaged as the result of short, which is rare, send it in.
The Potentiometer could have an internal short.

VP
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:03 AM
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
Like many inexpensive pots, the wiper is connected to the case. So, one end might be shorted to the case internally, but without opening it, I can't be sure why. What sucks at this point is that after trying to disassemble the gimbal, I trashed the elevator pot by accident. So, I think I will send the whole pile of parts in and ask them to fix it. It's out of warranty, so I'll probably have to pay a bit for it. Hopefully not more than I paid for the radio, and less than I am going to sell it for when I get it back.

They told me on the phone that this is "normal wear and tear". I think that is BS. I used my old Futaba radios 100 times more than this, and would have never imagined having a pot wear out!!!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:53 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
I feel your pain my man. After using Hitec and Futaba for years I was dissappointed with my first Spektrum radio's quality as well.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
Yeah, after a little research, I'm leaning toward a Hitec Optic 6. I don't think I need more in a radio than that, and the RX's are horribly expensive. Once I get the DX6i back from repair, I doubt I'll have a problem selling it and the receivers I have for it.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:52 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,077 Posts
Not too long ago I was cleaning my stuff and took out my DX6i that had been sitting in my dual tx case and notice the throttle channel on the monitor act all crazy when I moved the throttle. Figured maybe its because it was sitting there doing nothing for quite sometime and so started moving the stick back and forth but the result stayed the same.

I opened my tx to have a look and what I found was well NOTHING, I could not find anything wrong except when I touched the back of the pot it would appear to fix the issue. I played with it so much that now its working again.

I guess this is what this thread is about. Thanks to didge's blog I will have a go at it this weekend. It's a shame all these little things just add up, it's such a great company with great service and if only some of there products would match the level of service they offer then it would be awesome..
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:10 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
My fist reaction to the DX6i that came with the T-34 was, "Toylike". It seems Spektrum gear just doesnt seem to be like a "Workhorse".

VP

PS Even the logo doesnt give me a "Warm Fuzzy Feeling"
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:16 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,928 Posts
You could likely mount the innards in an old Futaba radio. AFAIK, most of the pots just work as voltage dividers - odds are that you can make a direct substitution.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:29 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Not too long ago I was cleaning my stuff and took out my DX6i that had been sitting in my dual tx case and notice the throttle channel on the monitor act all crazy when I moved the throttle. Figured maybe its because it was sitting there doing nothing for quite sometime and so started moving the stick back and forth but the result stayed the same.

I opened my tx to have a look and what I found was well NOTHING, I could not find anything wrong except when I touched the back of the pot it would appear to fix the issue. I played with it so much that now its working again.

I guess this is what this thread is about. Thanks to didge's blog I will have a go at it this weekend. It's a shame all these little things just add up, it's such a great company with great service and if only some of there products would match the level of service they offer then it would be awesome..
As if other companies had eternal potentiometers, I know of someone who had a bad elevator pot (it only went half way up in one direction) in his 10C 2.4g, it had to go to Futaba twice before they fixed it. And since they didnt ship out the bad part, who knows if they just did a re-calibration and called it a day...
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
Nothing is eternal. However, from the reading I have done, the DX6i has enough people reporting the same problem to scare me off. Thing is, the rest radio seems just fine.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:45 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifraf View Post
Nothing is eternal. However, from the reading I have done, the DX6i has enough people reporting the same problem to scare me off. Thing is, the rest radio seems just fine.
The DX6i is far from perfect, but...
Im sure there are twice as many DX6i's in use than any other computer radio, which might account for more reports.

Who knows, maybe HH will replace all the pots in the radio for you (if one went bad, im sure the rest are soon to follow) and you will have an 'almost' brand new radio..
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach