HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:38 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Question
covering a foam plane with a film

My question to you guys is just that. Can a foam plane such as a ParkZone foam plane be covered with a heat applied film. These are really nice planes and tough as nails. Seems to me it would make the plane even stronger. I have the Stinson and know that if covered it would have a builtup look like a handmade plane. If so, are there people who do this for a fee? Thanks and if anyone has photos of a covered foam plane please post them..Dave
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:18 AM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,241 Posts
foam films

You can cover foam with some of the low temp films such as Solite (Also called Nelson Lite film, Aerofilm, and Solar film lite) or TowerKote.
Solite is great for smaller models made of Depron or bluecore (fanfold), but is somewhat transparent. Towerkote is more opaque, a bit heavier and more suited to larger models (over 48" w/s). Both will add strength and weight to your model. I have a Depron plane that I covered in Solite and it came out nice and smooth with good color. As for paying somebody to do it, you will have to ask around.

http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/
can be ordered in the U.S. from:
Aeromicro.com, mountainmodels.com, bphobbies.com and stevensaero.com, quantumhobby.com, radicalrc.com, and numerous others.

Towerkote can be ordered from Towerhobbies.com

Hope this helps.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:25 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,128 Posts
Another choice is Doculam, a sticky back film. Low heat will make it stick even better. Available at Staples.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:31 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,035 Posts
Still another choice is colored packing tape. It is ironable, lightweight, but somewhat translucent.

Better for smaller models.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project