HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:28 AM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Help!
Binding a Turnigy 9X

Hi all,

So, first time RC pilot and excited to be getting into flying - I went with a nice and simple Bixler on various recommendations. Bought myself the kit format with motor and servos preinstalled, and popped a Turnigy speed controller/BEC in to handle power, along with a Turnigy 8 channel RX unit.

I've managed to get the RX to flash the bind light at me, but not been able to get the bind process to complete. I pulled the TX apart for a quick look to make sure all was well and it appears to be - same deal on the RX.

I've tried:

* Bind plug in bat/bind ports, bat in bat/bind ports (there's some confusion as to which it is, contradictory manuals- both work, it appears)
* Powerup of TX holding bind button (for up to 10 minutes)
* Powerup and then pressing and holding bind
* Powerup of TX and pressing bind once

None of this works. I've tried with TX/RX sat next to each other and from a distance. Any ideas? I'm rapidly getting quite annoyed at HobbyKing - the RX/TX was meant to come pre-paired anyway but clearly wasn't, the TX had excess plastic rattling around inside it, the ESC with plugs/sockets ready for connection was bare-ended (requiring me to wait another 3 weeks to get the parts to terminate it properly after waiting 2.5 months for the first order to arrive), and now I can't seem to get the RX/TX talking to each other.

What can I do to aid diagnosis? I've got plenty of tools short of an oscilloscope, and can get time on a scope if needed.
JamesHarrison is offline Find More Posts by JamesHarrison
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
I have the turnigy 9x v2

the bind seems okee (red light is going from flashing to constant red light.)
but after turning everything of it doesnt remember.

(sorry for bad englisch)

Is that the same problem as you james harrison?
jahrno is offline Find More Posts by jahrno
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:32 AM
Cptn Blinky Broome West Aust
Australia, WA, Cable Beach
Joined Aug 2007
43 Posts
With mine I fitted the bind lead in the Battery end. Press and hold the Bind on the TX switch on the RX and wait 5 secs and the LED stops flashing.
jaav is offline Find More Posts by jaav
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:34 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Read the manual thoroughly.

9X is an advanced and complex computer radio. If you don't know how to set up this radio, you can't use it even after it is bound.

9X binding procedures:

1. Plug bind plug into battery socket in receiver.

2. Plug battery to any slot. Red LED blinks ready to bind.

3. Push and hold bind button on TX while switching it on.

4. Hold until red LED on receiver stops blinking. Takes one or two seconds.

5. Remove bind plug from receiver.

6. Turn off RX first and then TX.

7. Plug battery to battery slot.

8. Turn on TX first and then RX. Ready to fly.

One more reminder. Before starting to bind, set TX modulation to PPM. Radio will not bind if TX is in PCM. After setting to PPM, turn off TX and on again and check if it is in PPM.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Last edited by John Kim; Nov 14, 2011 at 01:25 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
Read the manual thoroughly.

9X is an advanced and complex computer radio. If you don't know how to set up this radio, you can't use it even after it is bound.

9X binding procedures:

1. Plug bind plug into battery socket in receiver.

2. Plug battery to any slot. Red LED blinks ready to bind.

3. Push and hold bind button on TX while switching it on.

4. Hold until red LED on receiver stops blinking. Takes one or two seconds.

5. Remove bind plug from receiver.

6. Turn off RX first and then TX.

7. Plug battery to battery slot.

8. Turn on TX first and then RX. Ready to fly.
I followed the steps given in the manual -precisely- and did exactly as you described. I pointed out that I've followed these steps and they've not worked, despite also trying some variations on the steps.

Hence: What can I do to further debug this and work out what's going wrong, because there's clearly some issue here.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:45 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Buy another extra receiver and try with new receiver.

If the second receiver does not work either, then you have defective TX.

Buy another 9X. It costs only $39.99.

Sell your defective 9X. Someone who knows how to fix it will buy it if the price is right.

I burnt a 9X and sold it for $10 on this forum.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
Buy another extra receiver and try with new receiver.

If the second receiver does not work either, then you have defective TX.

Buy another 9X. It costs only $39.99.

Sell your defective 9X. Someone who knows how to fix it will buy it if the price is right.

I burnt a 9X and sold it for $10 on this forum.
No chance of diagnosing existing gear? I'd much rather work out what's wrong with this than simply bin/sell it. $39.99 is unfortunately outside of my budget right now (ah, the joys of student life!) so I'll be stuck for a while with this gear, broken or not.

I'll pull the TX apart and have another look at it- if the 2.4Ghz antenna were broken or something along those lines, that would certainly explain it.

Doesn't help that my ESC's BEC appears to have stopped working altogether. It looks like the only thing in this ~$300 HobbyKing order that isn't dead-on-arrival is the airframe and battery/charger. I am, to put it lightly, a tad miffed at HK - but what can you do. Outside of their returns period because I had to wait for extra parts before I could put power on anything!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:00 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,481 Posts
Binding

James, I,too, had a binding problem. Here's how I solved it. Remove the two small screws holding the binding panel. Lift it off. Push the outer board firmly to seat the pins. Restore panel, bind by using the bind plug in the bind slot, add power. Then, holding the bind button on the tx, switch it on and it should bind. Hope this works for you.
Frank
Frank Hurd is online now Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:14 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHarrison View Post
No chance of diagnosing existing gear? I'd much rather work out what's wrong with this than simply bin/sell it. $39.99 is unfortunately outside of my budget right now (ah, the joys of student life!) so I'll be stuck for a while with this gear, broken or not.

I'll pull the TX apart and have another look at it- if the 2.4Ghz antenna were broken or something along those lines, that would certainly explain it.

Doesn't help that my ESC's BEC appears to have stopped working altogether. It looks like the only thing in this ~$300 HobbyKing order that isn't dead-on-arrival is the airframe and battery/charger. I am, to put it lightly, a tad miffed at HK - but what can you do. Outside of their returns period because I had to wait for extra parts before I could put power on anything!
Unless you are an electronic expert, only way you are able to diagnose the trouble is by substitution. It will cost money whether you buy another receiver or have it repaired by an expert.

When you are binding, do not use ESC/BEC. Supply receiver power straight from 4.8V receiver battery. BEC can be a source of problem.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:21 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
I remember one more thing. Did you set TX modulaton to PPM? If it was set on PCM, radio will not bind.

Read the manual one more time.

After setting to PPM, turn TX off and on again, and then check if TX is in PPM.
Last edited by John Kim; Nov 14, 2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 08:32 PM
Canada, QC
Joined Jun 2013
185 Posts
Anyone can help me.. I'm trying to bind the tx/rx but I just won't see the red blinking light. just no light at all. Does it means rx is dead? How can I verify this? I'm trying to power it with a ESC that draws 5.5V, cause I don't have a battery handy
ItsSweetAvard is offline Find More Posts by ItsSweetAvard
Old Aug 28, 2013, 09:29 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,748 Posts
Do you have the bind plug in place?
Are you sure the throttle connector is in the right way round? Try it the other way.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:03 AM
Canada, QC
Joined Jun 2013
185 Posts
I tried both way, no dice. I also tried the procedure described here http://www.rcpowers.com/community/th...ng-help.12459/ but didn't do..

I will try to get my hand on a 6v battery pack, as I suspect maybe the power is not coming in correctly from the ESC.. the thing just wont blink..
ItsSweetAvard is offline Find More Posts by ItsSweetAvard
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:24 AM
"Annie"
United States, NY, Centereach
Joined Mar 2006
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsSweetAvard View Post
I tried both way, no dice. I also tried the procedure described here http://www.rcpowers.com/community/th...ng-help.12459/ but didn't do..

I will try to get my hand on a 6v battery pack, as I suspect maybe the power is not coming in correctly from the ESC.. the thing just wont blink..
This is just a guess, but possibly if your using a 6v batt. and a ESC,the ESC maybe cutting off below 9V and just will not power up at 6v. You should be able to plug the 6V batt. pack directly into your rec. without the ESC. Maybe worth a try. Cheers Bob
stents3 is offline Find More Posts by stents3
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:35 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,190 Posts
Really sorry to hear you guys are having issues with your 9X's. I have one (the V2) and over a dozen receivers including the 8ch turnigy and 6 and 3 channel Hobby King ones. Every one has bound to the TX essentially instantly (basically the flashing LED in RX goes steady as soon as I turn on the TX while holding the bind plug).

James and Itsweet: It might be helpful if you could take a picture of the setup you are using and post, so we get an understanding of what you are using.

As others have said, there are a couple of things that help.
* I frequently use a 4.5 volt receiver battery from a previous 72mhz Futaba to bind, so I can plug the battery directly into the receiver without using an ESC. Not necessary, but a bit of insurance.
*make sure you have the "servo" type connectors polarity right when connecting to the RX. Black goes to the outside edge of the box on all of them. Having the battery/esc connector reversed will result in not powering up the rx.
*when the battery or ESC/battery is connected correctly, the rx LED will flash a couple times a second. IF it's doing anything else, it's not connected correctly.
*(i've screwed this up a couple times) sequence is RX (with bind plug in) on/flashing; TX bind button pushed/held then TX on; RX LED goes steady; release bind button; unplug rx battery; remove bind plug; turn TX off; turn TX on, plug in battery/esc - LED glows steady. I have turned the TX off first, or forgotten to turn it off and back on after shutting down the rx the first time. That sometimes screws up the bind.

This thread has tons of info on the 9x both the original and the reflashed versions: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266162

Hope this helps

Also, it helps us when you guys post where your located, as there may be some one local to you who can supply another rx or help diagnose.

Also, a couple thoughts on Hobby King: They are generally a great source of inexpensive stuff for us, but with that low cost comes less "customer support" Although over the years I have to say that they are trying - better now than 3-4years ago. This rule still stands, if you don't want to wait for stuff, don't order anything that shows out of stock or less than 10 items.
It's better now, as they will ship what they have if you tell them to, but stuff in stock moves fast, back orders cause the whole order to stop. I figure about 2 weeks from Hong Kong to SE MIchigan.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Aug 29, 2013 at 01:05 PM.