HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:06 AM
South Africa
Joined May 2009
24 Posts
Question
Diy 2.4ghz

Hi everyone

I have been looking at converting my JR Max 66ADT radio to 2.4ghz by using a diy set .
My choises are either corona or frsky .

The questions are wether these would be suitable for use in my 1/4 scale spacewalker with a gasser on cdi and also wether the range would be the same as 35mhz or better ?
MariusPrinsloo is offline Find More Posts by MariusPrinsloo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:35 AM
Cptn Blinky Broome West Aust
Australia, WA, Cable Beach
Joined Aug 2007
43 Posts
From the reviews Ive read go the Frsky. the F sky seems to be more robust and Corona has had a few glitches.... Im doing one this week on my Futaba

The range? how good are your eyes....1.8klms and going.
jaav is offline Find More Posts by jaav
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:33 AM
South Africa
Joined May 2009
24 Posts
I have also read more good things about frsky than corona .
Are there any specific recievers to look out for ?

I think 1.8kms should be enough !LOL
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:01 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusPrinsloo View Post
Are there any specific recievers to look out for ?
If you chose FrSky DIY, you can use only FrSky receiver.

Is JR Max worth 2.4 conversion? It is an obsolete radio.

For the cost of conversion, you can buy a brand new advanced 2.4 computer radio for $39.99 including receiver.
Look for Turnigy 9X at hobbyking.com.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:37 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,748 Posts
FrSky is the way to go, regardless of whether you use your old transmitter or get the 9X.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:33 AM
South Africa
Joined May 2009
24 Posts
I forgot about the turnigy 9 .
Does this mean I can use a frsky reciever with a turnigy transmitter .

If there was a book about 2,4ghz for dummies I would already have one .
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:40 AM
Cptn Blinky Broome West Aust
Australia, WA, Cable Beach
Joined Aug 2007
43 Posts
But the 9X TX module isnt the best. It dosnt have freq hopping. It uses the FlySky module. Ive converted mine to the FrSky system
jaav is offline Find More Posts by jaav
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:34 AM
South Africa
Joined May 2009
24 Posts
Okay then , I bought the Frsky diy kit .
After doing alot of searches it seems like if I want to keep my radio on 35 and 2.4 I have to switch BOTH the ppm and v+ , this seems the safest option .

I just dont know what a dpdt switch is , is it a dual pole double throw toggle switch ?
It looks like a fair assumption .

Which reciever should I get to fly my plane with the cdi and heavy duty analogue servos ?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:47 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,017 Posts
PPM don't need to be switched, and you don't lose any safety, Frsky has a diode on the PPM input that isolate it completely when power off.
If you already bought a dual switch, better paralel both sections and use them for power, this is added safety, not switching PPM.

Receiver... get the D8R, the servo rails are good up to 10A.
I would worry much about the connector from BEC to receiver than the servo connectors. That single connector must sustain the current of all servos ! A power distribution board is still the safest approach.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:24 AM
South Africa
Joined May 2009
24 Posts
RENATOA , I dont fully understand your second line , which sections should I paralel ?
I really appreciate your input
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:53 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,017 Posts
I meant the two switches in the same body you call dpdt above.
Like in this circuit: http://www.metafysica.nl/circuit09.gif

Yes, dpdt is what you meant above
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:31 PM
Joined May 2005
802 Posts
I guess what he was saying is that since the FrSky ppm wire has a diode on it, when the power is off to it, it won't attenuate any of the ppm signal at all as the diode essentially disconnects the ppm wire from the FrSky module. Thus you should be able to get away with only switching the power, and leave PPM hooked to both the old 35 MHz and the FrSky. However, to be safe, if you have a DPDT switch, switch both power and PPM. Who knows if the 35 MHz radio deck will attenuate the PPM signal when it is off or not.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:34 PM
Joined May 2005
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaav View Post
But the 9X TX module isnt the best. It dosnt have freq hopping. It uses the FlySky module. Ive converted mine to the FrSky system
Just for the record (yes it's an old post), this is incorrect. All 9x radios on the market today use the FlySky v2 2.4 GHz module which definitely does do frequency hopping. See the review on rcmodelreviews. However the FlySky does not support any sort of failsafe, so if the receiver loses contact with the transmitter, your plane may never be seen again!

That's why most 9x owners rip out the FlySky module and use FrSky instead. However FrSky is PPM only and can only support 8 channels whereas the FlySky receiver can do the full 9 channels using some form of PCM that is proprietary to FlySky.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:43 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
Just for the record (yes it's an old post), this is incorrect. All 9x radios on the market today use the FlySky v2 2.4 GHz module which definitely does do frequency hopping. See the review on rcmodelreviews. However the FlySky does not support any sort of failsafe, so if the receiver loses contact with the transmitter, your plane may never be seen again!

That's why most 9x owners rip out the FlySky module and use FrSky instead. However FrSky is PPM only and can only support 8 channels whereas the FlySky receiver can do the full 9 channels using some form of PCM that is proprietary to FlySky.
AFAIK, the 9 ch was not with the FlySky 2.4 setup, but when the 9X was operated in PCM mode with Flysky's no longer available 35mhz module.
So no way anymore to get all 9ch with the stock firmware. ER9X firmware supports up to 16 channels of PPM, which some 2.4 systems can use. (JETI and XPS)

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:15 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post

Yes, FlySky is now frequency hopping. And it seems to work quite well. I very much doubt that "most 9x owners rip out the FlySky module" as we see lots of posts asking about where to get compatible FlySky receivers for the (unmutilated) Turnigy 9x.

Finally, just to confirm that the FlySky module is no more capable of doing 9 channels than is the FrSky. You are thinking of the old FlySky 35 and 72 modules, as PCM simply doesn't work on 2.4. FlySky uses PPM just like everyone else who makes a 2.4 module.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66