5,040 Posts
Reserved for future info
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:52 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
No problem Get Real, thanks for the cool design!

I'll make a tiled version of the plan soon as well. I will also be selling the GRX Yakzilla printed plan as well as a few more designs on http://www.rcplanebuilder.com for a small fee. I laid the plans up so they fit right over a 24" x 36" sheet of EPP. This makes it easy to pin the plan down to the EPP and cut it without having to cut the plan up and trace it.

Kevin
WickedFunRC is online now Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:00 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Oh, God. My build list is starting to look like the U.S. Tax Code book! Nice work,guys. This one is going on it.Really like the way it flies. Good job,GR. The tabs are nice. Kevin, thanx for helping out with plans. (I LOVE plans!)
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:06 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Oh come on EZ, you wouldn't know what to do without a huge build list.

I still have yet to build a Yakzilla... but I will be very soon.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:26 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Yeah. me too. But I just finished another 32 in Bovine design before I saw this one, to have something to fly while I'm working on the Eratix, still got to get my project I showed you finished, and plan on the HK 43 in Yak soon, but I REALLY like this design! I like Get Real's planes, built a 36 In GRX V1 awhile back, and liked it a lot. His planes just fly well. Best compliment I know of.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:25 AM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
827 Posts
I like it Another GREAT YAK Design
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:23 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
EZglider,glad you enjoyed the grx v1. This one is quite a bit different but it does what i want it to do and its epp so it will last longer than the other foam stuff ive cut in the past.

Sixter,i dont know about great but i like it .. im a bit biased ofcourse but some other pilots that have flown it locally like it as well so hopefully others have fun with it to.

A bit of info about the plans. Until the plans for this plane were ready ive never cut a plane from plans,ive always started cutting material with something in mind but working from plans finally i see exactly what ive been missing and see why people ask for plans so much when ive posted some pics or video in the past of stuff ive scratch built. The first one in the video that i cut from plans took about an hour total with hinging taking my time on the cuts. I made a video of the whole process but i had some tunes playing in the back round and some company didnt like it and i got a notice so i deleted the video but will probably make another eventually to pass on what ive learned from the first couple planes ive cut from plans. You get faster at it for sure after one or two and its about 45 minutes now to shoot video and cut the plane out.

Heres some pics of the plans and the first yakzilla 32 i cut from them(the current plans have been updated to include the wheel pants as well). The bigger one has been flown a few times.. surprisingly it flys easier than the smaller one inside with a light power set up at just over 8oz rtf with a 39'' wingspan .
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
81 Posts
Oh come on EZ, you wouldn't know what to do without a huge build list.
caaraa is offline Find More Posts by caaraa
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:49 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
The carry tube for rolled-up plans is a great idea. I just use a large piece of PVC pipe from Home Depot to get the same effect.When I do get to building this one, I'm thinking the 39 in might be a good sweet spot for some gear I've already got (2212-13 motor, 9 gr servos, etc.), and build it as a DTF-EPP hybrid. I've been getting good results with that combination of foam. Thanks again for sharing this design,GR.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:55 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Heres a look at the 39'' 8oz version,currently its built light and really isnt suitable for 400 size power but 9g servos and a 2208 size outrunner would probably work ok with some minor stiffening,still trying power set ups.. its a rocket at 12oz but not rigid enough currently for that type of power. More of a big floaty trainer 3d plane and very docile. Its like flying in slow motion and this current set up i really want to try outside soon.

GRX Yakzilla 39'' 3D EPP Plane 8oz Auw Indoor Flying! (2 min 50 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:43 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Had time to get a quick flight outdoors with the larger version. Currently im trying out different power set ups and bracing etc. The ailerons have less surface area on this one. Floats around like a much larger plane even in a fairly small area with the current set up.

GRX Yakzilla 39'' EPP 3D Outdoor Flight At 8.4oz (4 min 49 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:53 AM
Racing Enthusiast AMA 3557
United States, MO, Sedalia
Joined Sep 2011
680 Posts
What motor set-up do you have on this one? Can you show the bracing that you used?
Thanks
JetMech2002 is offline Find More Posts by JetMech2002
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:40 PM
Racing Enthusiast AMA 3557
United States, MO, Sedalia
Joined Sep 2011
680 Posts
Thanks for posting this. We built 3. Here is mine!
JetMech2002 is offline Find More Posts by JetMech2002
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JetMech2002; Mar 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:57 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech2002 View Post
Thanks for posting this. We built 3. Here is mine!
Looks great, is that 9mm EPP?
Site Sponsor