HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:19 PM
S.E. Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
849 Posts
Yeah, I'm kind of interested in seeeing/reading more about the Q Planes as well. Seem like they might be a lot of fun for some informal beginner combat flying.
Lost_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by Lost_Dawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:00 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,242 Posts
The Q-Plane is a lot of fun. It is a plane we were playing with about 4 years ago. I still have it today and flew it at the last fly-in with a lot of interest expressed.

The RET flying wing concept was from a Q-Butterfly that was in the magazines in the 80s. I updated the idea to the Q-Plane.

It is a rudder elevator plane, It does not have ailerons. The elevator is on the back of the wing.

It has a wing very similar to the Albatross and is a great flyer. We gave beta testers a choice and the beta testers put their support and interest behind the more conventional Albatross but is there a place for the Q-Plane too?

CG is much farther forward at about 2.5" back. The elevons are 2.75" across the back center panel of the wing.

Here is a link to the thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931080

Here are some videos of the modification.

This video is the trainer version that will even thermal on a warm day. I also shot some video of power slope flying thousands of feet above the valley where I live.

Q Trainer at Squaw Peak and Park (4 min 59 sec)

This video is is slope flying with my Eagle version on the same mountain slope.

RC Q- Eagle flying at Squaw Peak Lookout (4 min 12 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jan 11, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:02 AM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
241 Posts
Well I would be interested in a Q plane kit, or at the very least some specifics on modifying the existing trainers to turn them into Q planes. The most obvious differences I see are the thrust angle and fuselage profile.
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:18 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sredlin View Post
Well I would be interested in a Q plane kit, or at the very least some specifics on modifying the existing trainers to turn them into Q planes. The most obvious differences I see are the thrust angle and fuselage profile.
The Q-Plane is odd and fun to fly. It is one of the few odd planes I have liked enough to leave radio in it for 4 years. The other is my Peregrine.

To make a Q-Plane....

We use the fuselage from the Pelican with a rudder only and add elevator to the back of the Albatross wing to make a Q-Plane conversion. You can use the same wing and have two fuselages and fly it both ways if you want.

If you already have an Albatross it is easy to add the elevator to the center panel later after it has been built. You don't have to get a new kit just a conversion fuselage. You will have a two function wing. The elevator can be used as flaps on the Albatross and as an elevator on the Q-Plane conversion.

I split the elevator on the back of the wing with a servo on each side of the fuse Y connected together. I leave a gap between the elevator halves and move the rear rubber band connection dowel on the fuselage forward to a thicker part of the wing so the conversion does make the plane stronger.

I cut the elevators at 2.75 to 3" and only in the center flat panel of the wing. I use a straight edge and a very sharp new razor blade to cut the EPP foam smoothly for the elevators.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Dawg View Post
Yeah, I'm kind of interested in seeeing/reading more about the Q Planes as well. Seem like they might be a lot of fun for some informal beginner combat flying.
Any of these planes would be great for light combat.
The only downside is that they are kind of chunkable, if you take a propeller to a wing edge, it may take a chunk out.
On the plus side this type of damage is VERY easy to repair. In the field you can just cover with a piece of Extreme Tape and then when you get home mix some gorilla glue with water, when it starts to expand, put it into the hole like you would with body putty or spackle. Tape it over so that it doesn't just keep expanding. Cure overnight and it's good as new

I've actually considered using my Pelican as a target plane, I'm having too much fun flying it though...
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:41 AM
Crash Pilot
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
Albatross

Well, we've been having tons of fun. I have helped about 15 beginners build their own Albatross kits, and now they all fly.
lhb009 is offline Find More Posts by lhb009
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:45 AM
Crash Pilot
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
We have found that we like mounting the motor best using a steel motor mount, and using velcro to hold it on, this way, when we crash we dont damage the motor, it just pulls off.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:26 PM
Mountain Flyer
United States, UT, Cedar City
Joined May 2005
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhb009 View Post
Well, we've been having tons of fun. I have helped about 15 beginners build their own Albatross kits, and now they all fly.
The wing looks nice on that plane.
jzonts is offline Find More Posts by jzonts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhb009 View Post
We have found that we like mounting the motor best using a steel motor mount, and using velcro to hold it on, this way, when we crash we dont damage the motor, it just pulls off.
are you using the little red mtr that many other CTH planes use?

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:50 PM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
241 Posts
Lee,

What weight range are people in your club getting on their 36" trainers? I'm considering trying a Q plane conversion from one of those kits using a 1700 Kv Blue Wonder & 900 mah 3S battery I already have, but I'm not sure if it can built light enough 4 that gear?
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:53 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,242 Posts
I think that motor would be more appropriate than the 2812-1535kv I'm seeing a lot of overpowered Pelicans. They don't need much power.

The Q-Plane is a fun variation of the kit. Go for it just remember the CG is only 2" back.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:47 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,242 Posts
My E-mail has been busy with questions about launching and the Q-Plane......................................

Several flyers have commented they weren't used to launching a low throttle and throttling up to let the aerodynamics of free flight take over. It is for real. Full throttle launches with an overpowered plane will pull down until the speed comes up then the plane goes into autopilot and will fly itself. Launch at 1/3 throttle and throttle up and there is no dive.

In answer to the tailless Q-Plane conversion.............................

I love my Q-Trainer but it does have a couple of characteristics that you need to understand.

The Q-trainer needs to be launched at 1/3 throttle and throttled up. Most flyers are used to launching full throttle and most of the trainers are also overpowered making the down thrust more obvious.

The Q-Trainer needs a lot of reflex or up elevator on the back of the wing. This is a flying wing and all flying wings need reflex to fly. I have about 1/4" to 3/8" up on the elevator that is along the middle back of the wing at neutral on the plane in the video.

The center of gravity on a Q-Plane conversion is farther forward than a regular trainer using the same wing.

The aerodynamics of the wing need the wing to be moving to take over and do the auto correction.

My Q-Trainer is a hit at the flying field. I have had fun with the idea and even set up a break away tail to loose intentionally in flight to scare the crowd with a glow plane I used to fly. After the tail came off I would pretend to be out of control and would do a lot of aerobatics just to watch their reaction. The plane was actually very stable without the horizontal tail and I would hit a perfect landing and people would cheer.

Lee
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:58 AM
Crash Pilot
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairnut View Post
are you using the little red mtr that many other CTH planes use?

nut
Yes, we have been using the little red motor (2812) on almost all of the Albatross planes, and it seems to be just right, we takeoff with about 3/4 throttle and then fly at about half, and have had great success. We use batteries anywhere between 1000-2200mah 3s lipos.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,242 Posts
We try to design around the little red 2812 - 1535 KV motor so that your motor can be used on our other kits for when you want to try our other planes.

I like the motor. Its weight is about right but just stay out of the throttle or put a smaller prop on it. The planes don't need that much speed or power to be fun.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:59 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I have had fun with the idea and even set up a break away tail to loose intentionally in flight to scare the crowd with a glow plane I used to fly. After the tail came off I would pretend to be out of control and would do a lot of aerobatics just to watch their reaction. The plane was actually very stable without the horizontal tail and I would hit a perfect landing and people would cheer.

Lee
You're a sick pup.

Slow down while I take notes...
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster