HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:57 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Thanks for the write up.

It is easiest to take off at low throttle when the slow fly planes have bigger motors on them. The 2812 is actually overpowering the plane. I often Launch at 1/3 throttle. The plane design will compensate as it builds up speed and takes over the control of the plane. Most new flyers launch full throttle and that will tend to make the plane dive until it builds up speed.

Lee

Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 28, 2011 at 11:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:50 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Another video of Kevin and Tom with some spins and tumbles.

Albatross-Pelican Tumbling and Spins (6 min 19 sec)
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:44 PM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
subscribed

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Hey PCIE
Nice write up.
I think a dx700 or dx750 Blue Wonder would probably do really well on the Albatross.
I have one that I keep meaning to try, need to find the right prop for it.
I picked one up as well. Would you expect it to fly faster than with the cf2812 or take off vertically or something?

Quote:
It flies so well with the recommended motor that I just haven't got around to messing with it and I like how the 7x6 is away from the ground when you land.
It flies so well that I must be a great pilot.

Quote:
I need to paint mine too especially if there is more than one all white Albatross that's going to be flying around
The plane disappeared one time while flying in front of the snow covered mountains. Yeah I better paint mine .
pcie is offline Find More Posts by pcie
Last edited by pcie; Dec 30, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:59 PM
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Thanks for the write up.
No problem.

Quote:
Most new flyers launch full throttle and that will tend to make the plane dive until it builds up speed.
Yes I did that. Today I tried 1/3 throttle and that worked just great.
pcie is offline Find More Posts by pcie
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:21 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,390 Posts
hehehe- once I break out the paint, I have little restraint. See the Pelican in the video a couple of posts back?
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:21 PM
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the write up.

It is easiest to take off at low throttle when the slow fly planes have bigger motors on them. The 2812 is actually overpowering the plane. I often Launch at 1/3 throttle. The plane design will compensate as it builds up speed and takes over the control of the plane. Most new flyers launch full throttle and that will tend to make the plane dive until it builds up speed.

Lee

Lee so you think that the 3530 1400KV with 9x3 prop would be to much?
I plan on 2200 3cell and lots of lights and may a new Replay camera later on Albatross

nut
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:22 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
IF you want to go straight up with a GoPro and big battery that would be about right....

That is a lot of motor. I don't know the airspeed with the prop you are suggesting but the plane likes about 40 mph.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:40 AM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
606 Posts
Quote:
IF you want to go straight up with a GoPro and big battery that would be about right....

That is a lot of motor. I don't know the airspeed with the prop you are suggesting but the plane likes about 40 mph.
Sounds about like my EPP Funfly. It starts to get squirrely & floppy when pushed past that. I could use more carbon fiber, but that requires a really hefty tube down the bottom of the fuse to keep the tail in line.

I am satisfied with a somewhat smaller prop (9x5 vs 10x6) that gets up to speed faster, but limits top speed to 40MPH or so.
roo_ster is online now Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:41 AM
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
I have several of the little red motors I use on your other planes, I assume it would fly ok then with them even with a bigger three cell and lights and have plenty of power to spare?

I can build another CTH plane for a FPV camera plane later (not enough $ for that project yet)

nut
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:47 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,390 Posts
The 2812 will haul around a 2200mah just fine. Still plenty of power.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:01 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
I designed it to use the little red 2812 motors so that the same motors, ESCs and batteries we use on the Assassin and Widowmaker can be used on these planes.

It is cool that a cheap motor like the 2812 is stronger than needed on a plane with a 48" wingspan. Most of my flying is below half throttle which gives nice long flights.

The 36" Pelican is even more overpowered which is fun.

You just have to remember to launch with low throttle for the best take off control.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Sep 2010
6 Posts
I ordered the pelican for my my dad to step up from a hz champ. I already have these two options for power.
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ies-p-334.html

Or

The 2217-06
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ies-p-337.html

Just needs to do some gentle slow flying with decent flight times. I'd like to use the 370 with a 3cell and big prop. I have one for my 3d foamy (which is overweight from repairs and experiments) and it hauls.

will one of them work?
coolcat83 is offline Find More Posts by coolcat83
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:42 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat83 View Post
I ordered the pelican for my my dad to step up from a hz champ. I already have these two options for power.
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ies-p-334.html

Or

The 2217-06
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ies-p-337.html

Just needs to do some gentle slow flying with decent flight times. I'd like to use the 370 with a 3cell and big prop. I have one for my 3d foamy (which is overweight from repairs and experiments) and it hauls.

will one of them work?
The first selection with the 100W motor will probably be sufficient if you build her light. I fly at half throttle most of the time anyway. Too much power actually makes a slowflyer less stable.

Please give us some feedback.

Lee
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:15 PM
My dog ate my airplane
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
189 Posts
Lee I saw a couple of posts toward the beginning of this thread where you mentioned a tail-less modification that your call the Q plane. And I also noticed this Q plane on the crashtest hobby flyer that was in the box with Assassin I just got for Christmas. Is there any plans to kit the Q plane or at least provide some more details on the modifications of the Pelican and/or Albatross kits, ie. CG, motor thrust modifications, etc.?
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin