HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:33 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,471 Posts
I just don't understand the lack of enthusiasm for these great planes. Here we are close to Christmas with lots of fliers who have friends and relatives that would love to learn to fly. What could be better than to build one of these and give it away for Christmas? Sure, the thread is advertising. But it's advertising by a fellow RC enthusiast who has given a tremendous boost to our hobby.

I think these two planes are important. Anything that keeps the newbie flying while he's busily trying to reduce his learner plane to toothpicks or packing popcorn is something that will help grow our hobby.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:11 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I just don't understand the lack of enthusiasm for these great planes. Here we are close to Christmas with lots of fliers who have friends and relatives that would love to learn to fly. What could be better than to build one of these and give it away for Christmas? Sure, the thread is advertising. But it's advertising by a fellow RC enthusiast who has given a tremendous boost to our hobby.

I think these two planes are important. Anything that keeps the newbie flying while he's busily trying to reduce his learner plane to toothpicks or packing popcorn is something that will help grow our hobby.
Came out a month too late for me. I had already ordered the only EPP trainer kit/arf I could find. If I would have known it was coming out, I would likely have waited.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:37 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,565 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I know there are several of these planes flying locally. I have a 48" and a 36"

Maybe they are selling well but are so easy to get going that nobody is visiting the forum.
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Joined May 2008
349 Posts
Quote:

The Albatros would be a nice plane to teach my Grandson to fly on but its a bit pricey for a foamy. For 75 bucks I can almost buy three Slow Sticks.
Oldgzr is offline Find More Posts by Oldgzr
Last edited by Oldgzr; Dec 12, 2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
mg90s servo

The servos here http://www.valuehobby.com/towerpro-m...ini-servo.html have holes that are too small for the EZ connectors that came with the albatross kit. Should I try to find smaller easy connectors, arms with bigger holes, or use a different servo?
pcie is offline Find More Posts by pcie
Last edited by pcie; Dec 12, 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:46 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Joined May 2008
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcie View Post
The servos here http://www.valuehobby.com/towerpro-m...ini-servo.html have holes that are too small for my EZ connectors. Should I try to find smaller easy connectors, arms with bigger holes, or use a different servo?
This wasn't quite the thread to post that question in, but why don't you get a small drill and open the holes up in the servo arms to fit the ez connectors?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgzr View Post
This wasn't quite the thread to post that question in, but why don't you get a small drill and open the holes up in the servo arms to fit the ez connectors?
Ok I'll try that. I edited my question to mention the albatross that I'm building.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:08 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcie View Post
Ok I'll try that. I edited my question to mention the albatross that I'm building.
A 1/16 drill works great to do this job.
If you can't find one you can also heat up the end of the pushrod with a lighter and carefully melt the hole a little bigger.
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
A 1/16 drill works great to do this job.
If you can't find one you can also heat up the end of the pushrod with a lighter and carefully melt the hole a little bigger.
Yes drilling it worked really well. I'm excited to put on the motor tomorrow.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:12 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgzr View Post
The Albatros would be a nice plane to teach my Grandson to fly on but its a bit pricey for a foamy. For 75 bucks I can almost buy three Slow Sticks.
The SS and the Albatross are two totally different planes. They don,t fly the same. They are made out of different materials and there is no comparison in durability. They each have their place but I know which one will last the longest and can fly in the wind the best.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:13 AM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Joined May 2008
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
The SS and the Albatross are two totally different planes. They don,t fly the same. They are made out of different materials and there is no comparison in durability. They each have their place but I know which one will last the longest and can fly in the wind the best.
I'm not trying to put down your product Lee. I'm just saying that it seems pricey for a foam plane and there are other alternatives at a lower cost. I do like the wind handling characteristics as there is no shortage of windy days in our area at least on the days I want to fly. I also like the fact that the Albatross can handle a 2200 mah battery because several of my electrics already use that size.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:11 AM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
636 Posts
To put the peican & albatross prices in perspective, they are about the same as the retail price for chicom epp trainer "ARFs," the sort that require a tear down and rebuild to fly right. Look up the Techone Funfly EPP Trainer retail price.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:23 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Look. I love my Slow Stick. But it shares the fragility of a Parkzone Vapor, only scaled up. The wings are flimsy, the plastic fittings will shatter, the fiberglass stick isn't good against a blow at right angles to its axis....

Can you make the SS better? Of course! With more dollars. What I see in the Albatross videos is a plane that flies as well as my Slow Stick. But it is ten times more crash proof, flies and penetrates in wind, appears to have a much wider speed envelope, yet retains the slow flight characteristics of a Slow Stick.

I don't see this as a comparable plane to a Slow Stick. You don't have to replace all the supplied tape, the plane comes with actual comprehensive directions without such additions as that hideous plastic wing thingy for the SS, The radio and servos are very protected in comparison to the SS.

I don't have a problem with the pricing on the Albatross and Pelican. They're kinda steep but I haven't checked out what's in the package. I HAVE looked at what is in the packages of Lee's flying wings and they're an excellent value.

I see the choices for a new flier of buying usually multiple learner planes or extensively rebuilding them as you learn or spending a little more to build an Albatross.

I love my Slow Stick. It's my favorite plane. But it's not an Albatross.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:11 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
Quote:
I just don't understand the lack of enthusiasm for these great planes.
It's too expensive. An EZ* clone is $40, and they throw in a $10 brushless motor with your purchase. And if we wanted to get someone into the hobby cheap, we'd just go buy them a Champ - same price, including shipping, as your models, but with motor, charger, receiver, servos, ESC, transmitter, and batteries included.

On a highly specific example, there's also the FIK-100 R/C glider, which is very similar. And $40. There's a pusher version out there, too.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:28 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,181 Posts
These planes are fairly popular and may end up our number one sellers. These threads do not represent the market. Very few of the customers ever post.

I have to laugh when I see the comparisons with the other planes. These planes are not like those. I have seen so many EZ clones that are half tape and glue that I wonder if you actually know those planes. The Albatross can fly slower, The Albatross is quieter. The Albatross is EPP and can take much more abuse. Post your video of crashing your EZ clone and the damage. I know the EPO foam and it doesn't compare.

Newer flyers are often so focused on getting a low price they miss the real deal. Did you get cheap radios and servos and batteries too? Good luck!!

I didn't say not to buy the other planes. Go buy a few and try them. Just remember where to find us when you are ready for a plane that will last.

Lee

Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 13, 2011 at 02:36 PM.