HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:27 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
Yes, mine has ailerons. I didn’t go full wing length ailerons. It flies very well but defiantly not a 3D plane. I built it for FPV. If you want to make it 3D, I would use full wing ailerons.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:50 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
I'm building a straight wing for my Albatross (CTH cut the foam). Any hard-earned advice you want to share? My thought, as far as it goes, is to cut the ailerons out of the wing (probably full length), one layer of laminate, then the normal extreme tape hinge. Do I need the laminate for a thin aileron? Will the Extreme tape stick well enough to the unlaminated trailing edge of the wing? If anybody has already done this, I'd love to see the pictures. I'm thinking of Hitec HS65HB servos which I happen to have on hand. Any comments?
You will want to build with some dihedral if you build with ailerons for better tracking at slow speeds.

The Albatross has a high performance airfoil and is fairly thin on the trailing edge. In order to get the ailerons strong enough to be reliable you will need to laminate them or imbed in them a carbon or fiberglass rod to stiffen them up. They won't be stiff enough as they are with the wing as long as it is. The only Albatross I have seen with working ailerons used balsa so they didn't have to cover the wing.

I have 4 of the Albatoss planes flying and I love the polyhedral wing. I have not built a wing with ailerons for the Albatross but I have for the larger Storm Chaser of a similar design. The Storm Chaser flies great both ways.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:52 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
Still working on getting mine together. It's fairly challenging for someone who has not ever done this before.

The laminate is for protection similar to the extreme tape?
Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:17 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
The Extreme Tape makes the nose of the plane so it cannot tear. The Extreme Tape will dry out and turn yellow in about 3 months if you don't cover it with a laminate that has a UV protection like the laminate we include in the kit. The laminate alone is not as strong as the E-Tape so we use them together for strength and protection. I have planes that are years old where the E-Tape looks as good as new under the laminate.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:56 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
The Extreme Tape makes the nose of the plane so it cannot tear.
No kidding. The other day I was flying my Albatross and was about 300 feet of so high, I put it into a spin to drop down on the deck. Guess my hands were just too cold as I nosed it in with a sickening sound and flipped on it's back. I was sure something was torn up but, that wasn't the case. I cleaned off the mud and launched it!
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:23 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
Is there any negative effect of not using the laminate besides the appearance?
Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:28 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
I laminate the fuselage--gives is extra strength. I also found it allows the aircraft to slide on snow or wet grass. It also keeps the extreme tape from turning yellow and turning brittle.
None of my Storm Chasers or the Albatross have the wings laminated. However, I do put Shoe Goo along leading edges, trailing edges and tips about a 1/4" back on the top an bottom of the main wing, elevator and rudder to give it added strength.
I also bevel the leading edges of the elevator and rudder. Just someting I got in the habit of doing when I was building balsa gilders as the monkote seemed easier to apply. Hope that answered your question.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:10 PM
KK4QIN
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,102 Posts
So I have a question. As some of you may know, I recently sold my pelican. When the person received it, the rudder was bent slightly due to the gentle handling of the postal service. Is there anything that can help this?
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:44 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
For the Albatross and Pelican, the tape on the nose, and the laminate were added to the kit and instructions after many flyers cracked their fuselage on nose-in crashes, especially right at the front, behind the nose-mounted motor.

Adding tape and lam to the Pelican and Albatross was sort of a no-brainer. It's an easy addition, adds very little weight, and still balances very well. It's quick, inexpensive insurance policy against what appeared to be an inherent weak point.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:46 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
So I have a question. As some of you may know, I recently sold my pelican. When the person received it, the rudder was bent slightly due to the gentle handling of the postal service. Is there anything that can help this?
Yep! Heat it just a LITTLE BIT with an iron, and then set it on a flat surface, and place something straight and heavy over the top.

Obviously you don't want to melt the foam, so be careful in that respect, but the foam does need to get warm, and will feel pretty pliable. Maybe even use a piece of cloth as a buffer.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:30 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
EPP foam wants to return to the same shape it was cut. Most bent pieces will straighten out without interventions if you let them sit.

I sat a garbage can on a wing core and nearly smashed it flat. I thought I would have to throw it away. A couple of days later I went down and couldn't see which wing had been smashed. It had healed and re-expanded without heat or intervention.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:36 AM
KK4QIN
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Yep! Heat it just a LITTLE BIT with an iron, and then set it on a flat surface, and place something straight and heavy over the top.

Obviously you don't want to melt the foam, so be careful in that respect, but the foam does need to get warm, and will feel pretty pliable. Maybe even use a piece of cloth as a buffer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
EPP foam wants to return to the same shape it was cut. Most bent pieces will straighten out without interventions if you let them sit.

I sat a garbage can on a wing core and nearly smashed it flat. I thought I would have to throw it away. A couple of days later I went down and couldn't see which wing had been smashed. It had healed and re-expanded without heat or intervention.
Thanks guys, I'll relay the information
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:13 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
I have seen foam that seems to want to return to the shape the Post Office put it in. If the "let it return to its natural form" suggestions don't work, I would recommend a thin strip of carbon stiffener appropriately located. Make a 1/8" cut with your Xacto knife, and glue in the carbon strip. A bamboo skewer might work as well, but carbon is not much heavier, and is easy to work with. Being back in the rudder, it would throw off the balance, but I don't think very much.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:33 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
We took some pictures of how to install a pod mount motor on a single pod without cutting the fuselage. The entire process took only 5 minutes.

You have to put the fuselage top down to get the angle right. Locating the place to drill on the bottom was the hardest part.

We drilled a hole with a 1/2' bit. the drill press didn't have enough movement to drill all the way through so we kept moving the table up and then drilled some more

We angled the end of the motor pod post and pushed the square 1/2" post in the round EPP foam hole. It is very tight.

Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:58 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
985 Posts
Slick! Have you given some thought to shoe goo, hot glue, GG etc to hold it in place?