Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:50 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,586 Posts
It's Scotch Extreme Tape. You can get it at Walmart, Staples, etc...

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CustomFPVSetups.com
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:03 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,216 Posts
Home Depot has it in the paint department
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:03 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
Ah ok cool another thing on the shopping list
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:07 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,216 Posts
Laminate will give your fuselage added strength. Oh, the extreme needs to be cut--you can't tear it with your hands like duct tape.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:08 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,586 Posts
Just get the roll of it that comes with the cutter portion on it... that way you can just rip it.

It's VERY strong BTW...

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CustomFPVSetups.com
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:53 PM
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
Question on CG. How do I easily test it? just by balancing it on my finger? I need to adjust the battery location to best move it?

Because after I maiden it and get it ok I want to strap my gopro on it, or should I try to balance it with the Go pro when I am building it?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:18 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
Question on CG. How do I easily test it? just by balancing it on my finger? I need to adjust the battery location to best move it?

Because after I maiden it and get it ok I want to strap my gopro on it, or should I try to balance it with the Go pro when I am building it?
Well this is just my opinion so; if most of my flying is without the Go Pro I would balance it without it on. Then, I would balance it with it on just to see how much weight and where it needs to be placed. That way you can switch it out when you want. I built a CG balancer with two pencils in a board. Mark the COG line place the CG line on the erasers, top of fuselage should be level (Albatross right?)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:51 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
It's Scotch Extreme Tape.
Or, on newer packaging, you might see it as "Scotch Shipping Tape - Extreme"

Home Depot's usually the cheapest around here
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:55 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:

Or stick some pins in the bottom of the wings, along the CG line, and balance the pins on your fingers.

You can move the battery around, but with the Pelican, Albatross, and Storm Chaser, your best bet is to place the battery in the location of the fuselage that gives it the most protection, and then move the wing forward or back on top of the fuselage to attain correct CG.

Just remember that CG is relative to the WING, not the FUSELAGE. In other words, if the entire plane is tail heavy, you need more weight forward, right? Well, that means moving the wing BACK on the fuselage. Think of it more like moving the fuselage forward underneath the wing. That puts more weight in front of the wing. Make sense?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:14 AM
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
I think I will tend to fly with the gopro on at least until I have some sort of FPV setup that would be using a smaller camera. Even if I am practicing I don't mind much leaving it on there?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:20 AM
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
Think I have almost everything, except I need an X60? or whatever adapter for my charger and I still have not found a wheel collar to use on my soldering iron. People at home depot had no idea what I was talking about.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:40 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
The wheel collar isn't a soldering iron-specific part. Just a piece of hardware that fits on. It might just be easier to buy a cheap soldering iron where the tip sits in, held in place by a set screw (instead of a tip that screws on). Then just set the tip as far down as you want. If it's too long, it's soft enough to cut down with a pair of snips. The wheel collar is not a necessary part
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:50 AM
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
I know it's not I just was not able to find one. (wheel collar) I figured they have to be somewhere maybe I just need to try another hardware store
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:43 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
I know it's not I just was not able to find one. (wheel collar) I figured they have to be somewhere maybe I just need to try another hardware store
here's a link to show you what a Wheel collar looks like ..... you dont need an exact size as long as it's a bit bigger on the inside diameter than the dia of your soldering iron tip ...... they are available in a large rage of sizes but not from a regular hardware store .....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mm_10pcs_.html

You should be able to get this item from any RC store or anyone flying RC would be happy to give you one I'm sure ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14