HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:11 AM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,831 Posts
If you do the rubbing method, make sure the piece you're using for "sanding" is a scrap. That way you can try and have it take brunt of the abuse. I use the piece I cut from the top of the fuse at the rear I removed for the elevator.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:47 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,949 Posts
I rub any two part pieces together. The foam is tough. As long as you don't get carried away it works great to remove the cut fibers. The cut fibers are not that big of a deal.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:14 AM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,138 Posts
I'll be honest.. When I was building my pelican(first plane ever) I got impatient and just didn't take any of the fibers off except on the fuse where I was laminating all the other fibers have kinda just worked their way off it seems
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:24 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,949 Posts
I just went out and flew in freezing cold weather to test my new 36" Pelican with a pod. The wind is about 15 mph and the temperature is 19 degrees and it is snowing lightly. Perfect flying weather but I think I should wear a hat and gloves next time. Does anyone know the treatment for frostbite??? I think my ears fell off.

It flies very well. I wanted to do this so I can fly with the 808 Keychain camera on the nose and to have a plane with the prop protected to fly indoors.

Notice how I cut the back of the wing to make it thicker where the rubber bands go over the back of the wing.

I did fly with the 7x6 full prop. Notice that the fibers are just painted on the tail. I didn't even worry about them.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jan 12, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:22 PM
United States, MN, Little Falls
Joined May 2009
231 Posts
Here is a pic of my Albatross . can't wait for some good weather so i can take her out.

wynsrc is offline Find More Posts by wynsrc
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:45 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,949 Posts
Here is a video from my Pelican with a pod.

Pelcian LOG with pod in Snow (4 min 47 sec)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,006 Posts
Lee, You are just having too much fun! If you hadn't told us it was a Pelican I wouldn't have known. It flies just like my Albatross with the pod mount.
1fullbird is online now Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:54 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,531 Posts
Is anybody interested in buying my Pelican? It's in great condition, has MG servos, 7x6 prop, 1360kv motor, 30A ESC, 1600 mAH 3S 20C battery, and minimal damage.

It was posted here and marked as sold but the plane is NOT sold. The DX5e and receiver are sold though:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1811462

PM me if interested.

Thanks!

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Home Run Derby & Aerial Shots
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:17 PM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,831 Posts
I'm not interested, but a price might be nice.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:20 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,531 Posts
Depends where you are in the USA for a price. I don't think that it's worth more than $105 shipped anyways.

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Home Run Derby & Aerial Shots
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:54 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
Is pod mounting one of these still ok for a first time setup? If I want to eventually do FPV
Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:46 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,949 Posts
It flies great with the pod. I did have to laugh that it is small enough to get flipped by a foot print in the snow. I'm spinning a big prop for the Pelican with a lot of power but it is fun. I hope to get it indoors next week and see what it can do at slow speed.

The pod is a simple good idea that saves props and leaves the nose free for FPV/AP and indoor flying where the nose is more protected and the prop is out of the way. It flies almost the same as the prop on the nose. I like it on all sizes of our slowfly planes.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:13 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
Is pod mounting one of these still ok for a first time setup? If I want to eventually do FPV
They are actually easy to do--I have converted two front mounts to pod mounts. If you build a pod mount from the start you don't have to be concerned about cutting the extreme tape or the the laminate like you do when converting. I used the CTH instructions from their web site--worked like a charm.
If you have questions the folks at CTH are friendly and will answer. You can also ask on this forum thread and folks are glad to help. Take pictures of your build and post them.
1fullbird is online now Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:10 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
I am trying to find a hobby for my brother he can use to meet some people and have something to spend time on. I am interested as well but most my research initial has been for him. Something slow and easy to fly and indestructible sounds good because he has some mild disabilities. I come from a video game background. I actually design games so I wonder if I would want to go for one of the wings or an albatross first. The albatross can carry a GoPro but the Pelican can only do a small keychain camera? Anything better quality for eventual FPV or recording? My brother also likes photography so I thought maybe some mild AP would be an additional draw.

I also have a Parrot AR Drone but that thing frustrates me using the phone to control it and the props etc bend very easily
Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
I am trying to find a hobby for my brother he can use to meet some people and have something to spend time on. I am interested as well but most my research initial has been for him. Something slow and easy to fly and indestructible sounds good because he has some mild disabilities. I come from a video game background. I actually design games so I wonder if I would want to go for one of the wings or an albatross first. The albatross can carry a GoPro but the Pelican can only do a small keychain camera? Anything better quality for eventual FPV or recording? My brother also likes photography so I thought maybe some mild AP would be an additional draw.

I also have a Parrot AR Drone but that thing frustrates me using the phone to control it and the props etc bend very easily
Having recently started... Do the Albatross first and get a lot of flight time on it before trying a wing. I also have a lot of gaming experience and found the jump to the wings a bit tricky. It helps a ton if you have someone local to help trim the first one as well. The wings are loads of fun, and not really "hard" to fly, just not forgiving like the Albatross and pelican are. Little mistakes that don't effect the Albatross will crash an assassin.. Crashing the assassin is almost as fun as flying it though... I love being able to crash, pick it up, and just throw it in the air.
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal