HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2011, 01:40 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
This is one that deserves some customers.
Agreed.

CTH has some really neat products and some of the best aids to building them. Depending on how things go with my own EPP trainer, I'll be ready to build one of their trainers or wings in the not too distant future.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:03 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Whoa! Ho! Ho! Yer talking my language: Slow Stick!!! Lee, ever consider selling wing kits? Jetpackninja, you have the stock wing mounts or are you using two front or two back wing mounts on that SS to lower the incidence?

Back to our regularly scheduled program: the www.CrashTestHobby.com Albatross and Pelican. I hate it when people hijack a great thread. This is one that deserves some customers.
In the interest of making sure I stay on topic.
The Albatross and the Pelican are both EXcellent planes. I have both and they are great flyers. I just need to paint the white one, it's a little boring to look at right now

Rockin Robbins- there is little that is truly "stock" on my Slow Stick any more BUT the wing mounts are indeed stock height and provide that same angle of incidence as the stock Slow Stick wing. The Albatross wing fit directly onto the mounts with no modifications. Just a couple of rubberbands (if you plan on flying like a knuckle head, use four) and no other modifications
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:30 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,082 Posts
One of the modifications of the Albatross is the Q-Plane design I did years ago. If you are new to our designs this one will put a smile on your face. The Albatross is more stable but I have to admit the Q-plane is fun to fly. I was flying on a clear day and got sucked up by a thermal over a parking lot one day with the plane in the video. It nearly went out of sight straight up with the motor off.

This plane has an elevator built on the back of the wing and it is flown only with that elevator and the rudder. It does not have ailerons although they could easily be set up if you are going to make the modification.

This is a modification that could be done to either the Albatross or the Pelican.

The Eagle designs were fun and got a lot of attention but it didn't fly quite as good as the basic Q-Plane. I think the big difference was the weight of all the paint. The weight did add up to get the look I wanted. Like all planes these planes fly better if they are light.

This video is a prototype test where I was making trim adjustments to the elevator.

Q-Eagle Concept RC Plane (3 min 16 sec)

This video is the trainer version that will even thermal on a warm day. I also shot some video of power slope flying thousands of feet above the valley where I live.

Q Trainer at Squaw Peak and Park (4 min 59 sec)

This video is is slope flying with my Eagle version on the same mountain slope.

RC Q- Eagle flying at Squaw Peak Lookout (4 min 12 sec)
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 02, 2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:54 AM
30 RC's and counting
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2005
946 Posts
Hold on,when did all these other planes get on the website?
Bmr4life is offline Find More Posts by Bmr4life
Old Dec 02, 2011, 09:38 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,178 Posts
Hey Lee! That Eagle sure is dumb! It has NO IDEA that there's any wind, and it sounds like it's really whipping that day. Love that plane!

But looking around your website the Titan is the one that really speaks to me. Great selection of planes you have, and not one of them is a "me too" plane!
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 04, 2011, 02:24 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,082 Posts
Quote:
Hey Lee! That Eagle sure is dumb! It has NO IDEA that there's any wind, and it sounds like it's really whipping that day. Love that plane!

But looking around your website the Titan is the one that really speaks to me. Great selection of planes you have, and not one of them is a "me too" plane!
I was flying the Eagle and had a familiar voice behind me say, "Lee is that you?" It was the bishop from our local congregation who told me he had rushed over to see what the Eagle was doing and he didn't realize it was a model till it started doing loops.

I think the whole neighborhood thinks I'm nuts but since I am it doesn't bother me much. I fly up and down the narrow street in front of our house dodging the trees. Tons of fun.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:56 PM
Joined Apr 2008
21 Posts
familiar landscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
More flying showing the 48" Albatross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxlZr8ckIr4
man, that looks a lot like some places here in Israel! Cool video, cool soundtrack, cool plane.
Air-on is offline Find More Posts by Air-on
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
I'm also building an albatross.

The next thing to do is to mount the motor and then the prop.

These parts don't seem to work together though.

This motor:

These prop savers http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8240

and these propellers http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idproduct=9876

But the propeller seems too big for the prop saver, and maybe the shaft is too long for a prop saver.

Do I need different hardware?
pcie is offline Find More Posts by pcie
Old Dec 07, 2011, 01:43 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,509 Posts
Those prop savers should be fine. It is often desirable to cut the excess shaft down to a shorter length. Not necessarily required, but makes it less likely to end up with a bent shaft in a crash.

Not sure about those props, I haven't ever used that one.
Most props come with little adapters for different shaft sizes.
When you say the prop is to big, are you talking about the diameter of the hole for the shaft?
Old Dec 07, 2011, 01:43 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,082 Posts
The 2812 motor uses a 3mm prop adapter and I use this prop

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5436
Old Dec 07, 2011, 01:48 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,509 Posts
The prop Lee linked to works well and fits on the shaft of the little red motor with no modifications. If you can find another prop cheaper than this one let us know!
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Those prop savers should be fine. It is often desirable to cut the excess shaft down to a shorter length.
So hacksaw, maybe a dremel, hmm. At least I have time to think about my options.

Quote:
are you talking about the diameter of the hole for the shaft?
Yes diameter of the hole is too big. I did get some adapters for the prop, but none fit snuggly on the shaft or the prop saver.

I ought to have just ordered the prop Lee suggested.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:26 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcie View Post
So hacksaw, maybe a dremel, hmm. At least I have time to think about my options.

Yes diameter of the hole is too big. I did get some adapters for the prop, but none fit snuggly on the shaft or the prop saver.

I ought to have just ordered the prop Lee suggested.
Don't cut the shaft until you get a prop saver/prop combo you are happy with
If you do decide to shorten the shaft, put the motor in a plastic baggie (seal it up) and poke the shaft through the baggie. The object here is to keep the magnets from sucking all of those little shavings into your motor. Dremel with a fiberglass reinforced cutting wheel makes short work of this job.

I (and probably almost everybody else) have a bunch of those little adapter thingies. Whether or not they will work with that prop is anybody's guess.

I've been using these props with the little red motors and they work out OK too but they are not as cheap as the ones Lee linked and yeah, you have to have the little adapter thingy too.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...propeller.html
Old Dec 08, 2011, 03:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Don't cut the shaft until you get a prop saver/prop combo you are happy with
If you do decide to shorten the shaft, put the motor in a plastic baggie (seal it up) and poke the shaft through the baggie. The object here is to keep the magnets from sucking all of those little shavings into your motor. Dremel with a fiberglass reinforced cutting wheel makes short work of this job.
That's good advice, thanks. I don't want to ruin another motor.

Quote:
I've been using these props with the little red motors and they work out OK too but they are not as cheap as the ones Lee linked and yeah, you have to have the little adapter thingy too.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...propeller.html
I also have some of those. The elastic seems too small to stretch all the way over the prop though.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 05:35 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcie View Post
I also have some of those. The elastic seems too small to stretch all the way over the prop though.
Stretch harder, They'll fit...
Or just go to the plumbing section at Home Depot and pick up some O rings in the plumbing section. I think the ones I use are #12 or #13. Memory does not always serve me well...