HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:19 PM
Payson, Utah
Joined Feb 2010
147 Posts
Jetpack do you use the same motor as your slowstick? How do they compare?
burhead27 is offline Find More Posts by burhead27
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
They look very nice, but for the price of that 48" Albatross I could buy a plug-and-fly Bixler. And a battery. And a receiver. And have a few bucks over for a spare servo.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:30 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,929 Posts
Shoot a video of you doing this with your EPO plane and let us see. The EPO planes include the EZ Star, Bixler, Skywalker and many of the molded warbirds and trainers.

I have flown the Bixler and it is about twice as fast in the slow flight and about the same speed at the top end. It needs a larger field.

Crashtesting the CTH Albatross 11-11 (4 min 17 sec)

If you crash your EPO plane it will break and every time you have a hard landing the foam will pack in more and more. I have seen dozens of EPO planes that are all glue and tape to holding them together. So if you have to buy 3 EPO planes to last as long as one EPP what is the best deal?

EPP doesn't compact and is much more expensive to produce because it can't be injection molded.

Long after the EPO plane has been sent to the dump an EPP plane will be flying.

We use EPP foam in combat planes because it is so tough. Watch the combat videos at www.crashtesthobby.com

LImbo UnCivil War 4-11 (5 min 37 sec)

Lee

Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 04, 2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burhead27 View Post
Jetpack do you use the same motor as your slowstick? How do they compare?
Haven't tried an alternate motor yet.
So far I'm using the little red motors on the 48" and the 36" trainer.
HobbyKing has been out of stock for the motors that I use on the Slow Sticks for a long time.
I did try (just for fun) flying the 36" trainer with the 2200mah battery.
It flew heavier and faster (faster stall speed), I was still able to trim it for a level glide.
It did not increase the flight time, most likely because the motor had to work harder to keep the extra weight going.
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:31 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,400 Posts
I haven't flown the Bixler but by all accounts it is a nice plane. I have flown a hopped up EasyStar.

What you don't get with the Bixler is an all EPP plane. EPP is incredibly crash resistant, so much so that it is the material of choice for the combat planes that we love so much. The Albatross is a great flyer. I have even set mine up with a cheap radio to let friends and family members have a little taste of flying. My last flying session I trimmed the plane at 1/2 throttle and put the radio on the ground for three minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
They look very nice, but for the price of that 48" Albatross I could buy a plug-and-fly Bixler. And a battery. And a receiver. And have a few bucks over for a spare servo.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:35 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,929 Posts
Here is a different angle to see the Albatross flying. Cory shot video from a tricopter. Thanks for the video Cory!!! The Albatross was flown by Tom.

Albatross filmed from a Tricopter (4 min 8 sec)
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:48 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,929 Posts
Some of the flyers in this video have only flown for a couple of weeks. The Albatross with the red wing and black tail at the end of the video is being flown by a pilot for his first time ever to fly RC.

Albatross Spot Landing 4-13 (2 min 30 sec)

Two Pelicans flying.

36" EPP Pelicans 11-26-11 (5 min 54 sec)
Last edited by Lee; May 02, 2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:34 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,400 Posts
Hahahaha- that white plane needs a lil' paint
I don't think anybody is going to have any problems finding those two pelicans in the sky.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:51 AM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
What you don't get with the Bixler is an all EPP plane. EPP is incredibly crash resistant, so much so that it is the material of choice for the combat planes that we love so much. The Albatross is a great flyer. I have even set mine up with a cheap radio to let friends and family members have a little taste of flying. My last flying session I trimmed the plane at 1/2 throttle and put the radio on the ground for three minutes
Well, there's also the Fenix 1-meter glider. $38.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=C3351883
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:00 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,400 Posts
The 36" Pelican is a purpose built trainer that was designed with new pilots and builders in mind.
The Fenix looks great and I'm sure an experienced builder and pilot like yourself can take one and do a conversion to make a great trainer out of it. Please take lots of build pictures and document you flights in your blog. I'm sure a lot of people would find that information to be very helpful.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:31 PM
NKK for short...
United States, IN, Mitchell
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
Great idea - the tougher the better for a trainer...

It would nice if it could be modded/upgraded to be an aileron trainer as people get more confident - not sure that the wing configuration lends itself for that with the dihedral "bend" being where it is, might put the ailerons too close to the fuselage to be effective?

All in all not a big deal, for someone starting from scratch this will be a great plane!

Subscribed and keeping an eye on this thread.
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:33 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,400 Posts
Check out some of the rolls that the plane is capable of.
All rudder elevator throttle only.
Agreed that this wing design would probably not be too great for an aileron upgrade.
I have 36" and a 48"
I was talking to a new flyer while flying the 48" on Saturday and put my transmitter on the ground.
Let it fly on it's own at about half throttle for a good couple of minutes or so.
I don't have another plane that I will do that with
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:51 PM
NKK for short...
United States, IN, Mitchell
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
Yeah the self-leveling characteristics are remarkable, you can see it in Lee's vids when he's just making turns, the plane *wants* to fly level...

Wish I'd had a plane like that when I learned to fly
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:45 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,929 Posts
Ailerons are not very effective in a polyhedral wing. You will be able to fly ailerons after flying a good rudder/elevator plane that has the snappy responses of the rudders on these planes. These are not boring planes even though they can fly slow. I'm amazed how many of our advanced flyers have gotten one or two and are flying them frequently. They say they got them for their kids but I'm rarely seeing the kids.

When you compare this plane to other planes don't compare apples to oranges. This is a dedicated power plane with a 1.9 lb EPP fuselage making it even stronger than most EPP. This is a free flight design and is American made.

I'm going to tell you how to spend a lot of money in this hobby.

New flyers are always trying to save a dollar. They make a lot of decisions because of price then regret it later when they don't get the performance they were looking for.

We frequently see new flyers who show up at the field with the discount planes radios and planes and batteries. It doesn't take long for most of them to want something better and start to try to sell their budget radios and equipment so they can upgrade. They also didn't realize the less expensive radios need batteries and chargers and don't have instructions or options that they now want. By the time they have the same type of set up they would have saved money to do it right the first time.

We still have new flyers showing up with NiCad flight pack batteries and fragile foam shell planes that take one good hit and they are totaled. Many of the foam planes can't handle wind or a hard landing and they end up spending more. I know people who have owned 6+ SS trainers. They are always broken and can't handle the wind like these planes.

We have another group who want to be designers and will modify planes trying to get one like the one in the picture. I have seen flyers who have never had a decent flying plane after years in the hobby because they are trying to save a dollar or need to express themselves and make their planes unique.

This is one of the most unique designs on the market. I designed it for some older flyers in our area that have had a hard time learning but it isn't them that have shown the most interest. They still want their warbirds to be their trainers and will probably never learn to fly well.

We also are going to use these planes as night flyers. When you face the LEDs into the EPP foam it lights up like light bulb and the whole plane is bright. The foam refracts the light all the way through and so one strip of lights on the bottom will light up the whole wing. Tons of fun!!!

Watch the planes fly and then decide if your plane will fly like this.

Albatross Quiet for local parks 11-26-11 (4 min 25 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Nov 28, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:04 PM
30 RC's and counting
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2005
945 Posts
Would a Rimfire motor be suitable?
Bmr4life is offline Find More Posts by Bmr4life