HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
You will use a larger prop if you drop to 2 cells. It is hard to say if the motor runs well 2S where it is rated 3S-4S???? Try it and see if it runs and if it runs hot.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
316 Posts
Below are the stats for my 2812 motor and it seems like it may still work with the smaller 2 cell 1300 mah batteries I bought? Going by these motor specs do you think for flying an Albatross at slow to moderate speeds will the 7X5 props I already bought still work with my combo? Since I have 2 cell instead of 3 cell batteries at 1300 mah does that mean I should have the same performance and speed just 33% less flight time? Sorry for all the newbie questions but with all the variables i can't figure this out.

Recommended Setup for 2812 motor:

18A brushless motor ESC
2-3S LiPO and at least 1000-1300mAh.
Prop Selection: Remember to always use props designed for electric motors, nitro props are heavier and might overload the motor.
With 3S LiPO: 7x3, 6x4
With 2S LiPO: 9x5, 8x4
The above prop selections are recommended for sports flying at open throttle. You may use slightly larger props if you do not fly at constant open throttle.
overmyhead is online now Find More Posts by overmyhead
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:32 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,564 Posts
You most likely won't have the same performance and speed.
You will likely have around the same flight time.
The only way to find out is to test but I don't know anybody that has run2s on these motors

Like Lee said, you'll probably want to go with a larger prop with a 2s setup
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:32 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
You can two of the 2S and make a 4S just by the way making a plug that runs them in series.

The new website is up and slowly all of the updates are being added. Sorry for some delays but we have been told it will be fully operational soon. We have had some difficulty with some of the building instructions loading. Be patient, if they don't load send us an e-mail and we will send them as an attachment back in a reply to your e-mail.

The instructions are being included as both an open document and a PDF file so it can easily be downloaded to your computer or printed without taking so much time or room. There are also options in the print menu to print several pages on one page if you want.

To thank you for your patience there is a discount code that will save you 5% on any order at www.crashtesthobby.com for the month of March. It is FLY MORE FIX LESS all in caps.

Thanks again.

Lee
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:24 PM
Crash Pilot
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
2s Albatross

I have actually flown with 2cells on the albatross, I used a 9x4.7 prop with the little red motor, it worked ok, and flew nice and slow, but I wanted to be able to do loops and such, and the 2s was just enough to keep it afloat.
lhb009 is offline Find More Posts by lhb009
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:28 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,564 Posts
Zach's Albatross Maiden

48" Albatross Maiden shot from an iPhone

zachalbatrossmaiden.MOV (1 min 5 sec)

Chasing the Albatross second flight with a GoPro hung under the Supercub

albatrosschase.MP4 (7 min 4 sec)
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:21 PM
umpf umpf
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Nov 2008
378 Posts
alby number 5 going together here in our area.
thanks crashtest for an easy and fun plane to fly.

eric
basser is offline Find More Posts by basser
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:37 AM
IWantToFly
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Jul 2011
145 Posts
Whats the fuselage length and the wing cord of the 36" pelican?
speedyAK is offline Find More Posts by speedyAK
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:58 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,564 Posts
Fuse is 24 inches, overall length (prop to tail) is around 29 inches.
Wing chord is 8 1/2 inches.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:34 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,245 Posts
Hey Jetpackninja ! Just dropping in to say hello, i will be reading through this thread shortly!

And for all of you, (Tom has seen it already i know ) here is my pelican i just built.
Maidened it a couple days ago and it flies great! My first flight with a real rc plane went great! no mishaps!

-Seth
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:43 PM
IWantToFly
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Jul 2011
145 Posts
thanks jetpackninja!
speedyAK is offline Find More Posts by speedyAK
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:55 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
Joined Jan 2012
1,245 Posts
Hey, I was wondering if anybody has tried outfitting landing gear on a pelican?
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:39 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
Hey, I was wondering if anybody has tried outfitting landing gear on a pelican?
I have seen a straight axle put through the fuselage with a wheel on each side. You have to carry the weight the entire flight and it adds a lot of weight for a couple of seconds during take off and landing so it depends on what you want to do.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:25 AM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
Joined Jan 2012
1,245 Posts
Yeah was thinking the same thing, because weight was my main concern.. I have been trying to figure out how to make some decently sturdy removable ones.. i want to practice lading on a runway at the local field, but be able to remove them when i don't have a runway or just dont want to bother with them.. i will keep on thinking and post my ideas for input.

-Seth
Old Apr 07, 2012, 04:13 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,564 Posts
If landing is your main concern, just add a piece of pop bottle plastic on the bottom.
Doesn't need a big piece, the place that tends to get skinned up is the angle where the bottom of the fuse angles up toward the nose. A couple of times I've landed on the asphalt trying to get back to the grass, right at that little angle is where chunks of foam sometimes like to get chunked out.