SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
330 Posts
Total newbie building my first plane but the Albatross is starting to take shape after just an hour or so and the wings and fuse are glued up and leading edges coated with plumbers Goop for durability so tomorrow we get into the rigging and electrical work.

The only snafu was I may have been a bit heavy on the Goop coating the wing edges for some reason it seemed a bit thick and snotty and was hard to get a thin even coating and hopefully didn't add too much weight (about half of a tube) and I am wondering if maybe I just got a bad tube or is that how it is? Otherwise so far so good the PlaneinsaneRC fellow (http://www.planeinsanerc.com/index.php?PageID=1) sold me the whole kit which really helped me out being a newbie and unsure what to order and it arrived quickly and well packed.
Dumb question #47 but when mounting the battery transversely through the fuse like in your video is there a means of retaining it or is it just a friction fit and I should cut the hole a little undersized?
overmyhead is online now Find More Posts by overmyhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:30 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,331 Posts
Sometimes the older Goop is thicker. I found that tubes don't last long after they have been opened.

Cut the hole a little smaller and wedge the battery in.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Heres a video of the first recorded flight of the Albatross. It was a windy day and the rudder needs some expo.

CTH Albatross first recorded flight (1 min 35 sec)
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:01 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Hi Ash- probably doesn't need expo- you may wish to set it up with a little less rudder throw.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
I like having a lot of rudder throw because this plane is for flying in very very tight locations. Need it to be as maneuverable as possible.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
330 Posts
servos

I ended up with 2 T-Pro MG90 and 2 HXT900 servos....which ones do you guys reccomend for my Albatross build. Is the weight difference enough to be a factor? If it matters I will be using a Spektrum5 radio since I already had it from a Radian we trashed pretty well.

Also what are the 4 connected extra-long staples for?
overmyhead is online now Find More Posts by overmyhead
Last edited by overmyhead; Jan 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
I use the HXT900's they work fine here.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:36 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,331 Posts
There is very little stress on the servos on these planes. I have only the HXT 900s on mine.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:27 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
I ended up with 2 T-Pro MG90 and 2 HXT900 servos....which ones do you guys reccomend for my Albatross build. Is the weight difference enough to be a factor? If it matters I will be using a Spektrum5 radio since I already had it from a Radian we trashed pretty well.

Also what are the 4 connected extra-long staples for?
The weight difference won't be a factor. I used the mg90s because that's what I had laying around. The hxt900 would work just fine.

The staples can be used as guides for the elevator and rudder pushrods.
I put them in but i doubt they are necessary.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:34 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,331 Posts
Pushrod bending usually happen when the servos are pushing not pulling. The rod will bow and not transmit the power to the elevator or rudder if the rod is long. Adding a staple along the rod keeps it from flexing and is easy and works well.

It is possible for the pushrods to flex and it will happen when the plane is under stress in the air and you may not realize when it is happening. We have been putting longer push rods in the kit so the weight of the servos can be moved farther forward. This will make the pushrods longer and make the flexing more of a problem if you don't put some sort of pushrod guide.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Jul 2010
217 Posts
Bush Pelican Maiden + Mods

Hi
Very brief Vid of Pelican maiden~~I need a new camerman!
Wind had dropped down to 18mph towards dusk,~~Go for it

Untitled (1 min 36 sec)

1.Tailplane + elevator held on by notch and 4 pairs of tiny magnets from a dud motor.

2. Control rods internalised

3. Empty water bottle landing skid fixed with velcro

4.All wing, fin and tailplane leading edges reinforced with drywall fibertape and shock strip under goop.

Wing 120 gm, Fuse etc 240 gm, 1.3 lipo 115 gm >>AUW 475 gm or 16 oz, but may need more ballast

Better Vid to follow soon~~~~~~~H

CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:16 PM
Crash Pilot
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
Herby Flys Again!

My wife gave her's a paint job so now it's the best looking plane in the fleet.
lhb009 is offline Find More Posts by lhb009
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:39 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhb009 View Post
My wife gave her's a paint job so now it's the best looking plane in the fleet.
I like that picture. May I use it on the web site please. What is your wife's name?

Thanks

Lee
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:09 PM
umpf umpf
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Nov 2008
401 Posts
night conversion

im installing lights for night flying.

here is what ive done so far.

1. lights on stab are installed from the top and facing down.
2. lights on vertical stab are installed on leading eadge and facing into the foam.
3. lights on fuse are installed near the base and installed facing into the foam. i wanted to be sure the bottom of the fuse lit up bright so
i installed a strip of lights down both sides of the fuse.

the lights are installed in a channel that where made with a soldering iron. then i used strips of laminate to cover the lights. the lights are now installed securely and the lights are out of the way of the air flow.

i havent started work on the wing yet.

i like this plane so much i ordered another 1. one for night flying and the other for helping out new peeps to the hobby.
thanks crashtesthobby.
basser is offline Find More Posts by basser
Last edited by basser; Feb 04, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
178 Posts
Push Rod Staples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Pushrod bending usually happen when the servos are pushing not pulling. The rod will bow and not transmit the power to the elevator or rudder if the rod is long. Adding a staple along the rod keeps it from flexing and is easy and works well.

It is possible for the pushrods to flex and it will happen when the plane is under stress in the air and you may not realize when it is happening. We have been putting longer push rods in the kit so the weight of the servos can be moved farther forward. This will make the pushrods longer and make the flexing more of a problem if you don't put some sort of pushrod guide.
Anyone have a pic of staple(s) placement?
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal