HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:15 PM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Build time for a Dandy?

Assume it's your first time putting a balsa model plane together, how long, in hours, will it take to build a Dandy?

-Dujara-
...have built balsa outlined kits as a kid and they took forever!
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:27 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
It's a very easy kit to build, could be done very fast if you wanted. But DON'T rush through it, enjoy it take your time. Build a section, set it down and come back the next night do some lite sanding inspect it and move on to another section. Take the extra time building it you will appreciate it more when it's done. If you want a time frame, you could assemble the whole kit in a few hours (without covering it) but don't do that, you will regret it later as I'm sure you won't be happy with your work. Building it is a lot of the fun.
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:28 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,935 Posts
Those days are over. Pin glue. Come back tommorrow and do some more.

Today. Line it up. A drop of CA. And Bim Bam Thank you mam, on the the next joint. For the Dandy for me, about 4 hours memorizing the manual (with my memory that doesn't help) 4 hours actual build time. It took me more time to correct my mistakes and to line it up and think about it before I glued it.
Covering, probably another 4-6 hours. But then I work slow and daydream a lot. This wasn't my first build, but I'm not the quickest in the world.

Tip on solite. When I peel a sheet off, I will usually turn a corner on itself and let it stick (1/4 inch or so) because you then have something you can separate relatively easy. Everybody had a differenct method. But it will fold back on itself if you aren't careful. Get a pot full of #11 exacto blades (Hobby Lobby Craft stores has them in 100 packs I believe). I prefer single edge razor blades, but you will need a bunch of them also. The minute it gets dull, get another one or you will just tear the material.

You will have a lot of questions, just do a search and if you can't find it, post away. Some body will answer. If it is a wrong answer, someone else will chime in and correct the answer. That is a good safety mechanism and it works.

The most important thing is to be patient, but get started. You will need a level working surface. I do most of my building on a 18"x10" flat plywood board on the kitchen table. A straight edge, and a square help. Good luck.

Also remember that CA wicks through the wood. Don't hold too close to the joint, but if you get stuck don't get excited. If you have acetone or debonder you can use that. But if you give it just a few minutes, you can usually roll you finger away and just leave a sliver of skin that will be your permanet attachment to the plane.

Peace,
Lyle
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:49 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LcJ
But then I work slow and daydream a lot.
Thought I was the only one that did that.
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:06 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
I'd say four to six hours to go from out of the bag to ready to cover, then about the same to cover.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 25, 2003, 08:01 AM
N.J.
Joined Dec 2002
218 Posts
It took me quite a bit longer to cover my first build (Switchback) than to frame it. I figure probably cumulative about 8-10 hours time to cover. Framing it was so much fun & was much quicker, maybe like 4 hours total. I worked deliberately slow with the covering so it would come out nice & tight. I was so pleased with the results & the way it flies that I've pretty much given up on foamies -- balsa is way more satisfying IMO. Look for the Martin's thread "For the solite challenged" it will walk you thru the whole thing with pics.

Chris
Windysurfer is offline Find More Posts by Windysurfer
Old Sep 25, 2003, 08:44 AM
FREDERICK, MD
Joined Jul 2003
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LcJ
Also remember that CA wicks through the wood. Don't hold too close to the joint, but if you get stuck don't get excited. If you have acetone or debonder you can use that. But if you give it just a few minutes, you can usually roll you finger away and just leave a sliver of skin that will be your permanet attachment to the plane.

Peace,
Lyle [/B]
I can certainly attest to that, my build certainly contains sufficient DNA samples to convict me of any crime committed using my Dandy! My total build time was 4 hours for the woodwork, and another 2 1/2 or so for the covering/ painting. I did "miss" the lower fuselage doubler in the assembly (on both sides of course! ), and had to cut and piece them in. Also, don't forget the washout in the wings, or your next post will be "Why does my plane spiral into the ground when I turn?" Good luck!
EABiker is offline Find More Posts by EABiker
Old Sep 25, 2003, 01:00 PM
Watch This !!!
Rochester, MI
Joined Apr 2003
1,032 Posts
EABiker

What is "Washout"

Ed
edkoz is offline Find More Posts by edkoz
Old Sep 25, 2003, 01:11 PM
FREDERICK, MD
Joined Jul 2003
197 Posts
Ed,

Washout is a slight warp in the wing such that the trailing edge is slightly higher than the leading edge at the wingtip. If you lay the outer portion of the Dandy wing flat on the table, the trailing edge of the wingtip needs to be 3/8" higher than the leading edge. This is can be accomplished by placing a small block 3/8" thick under the T.E. after the covering is tacked down, but before it is shrunk. Just press down on the wing with the block under the T.E. as you shrink the film. This makes a huge difference in the way this type of wing flys! I did not do this initially, so I certainly know the effects!

EABiker
EABiker is offline Find More Posts by EABiker
Old Sep 25, 2003, 01:15 PM
Crash happens! :)
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,182 Posts
Remember though washout is only put on the poly wing and not the Sport or GT wing.

The build on the Dandy is about as straight forward and pretty simple build. Just follow the book and it will walk you right throught the build. the go through Martins (Dreamers) thread on Solite and you will be set.
Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Arrow
Last edited by Arrow; Sep 25, 2003 at 01:20 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 01:50 PM
Do I have to Land?
Maine
Joined Jul 2003
224 Posts
I wish that I could tell you how long it is taking me to build the dandy sport. I put the wings and tail feathers to gether in about 3 hours. I then spent about another three hours on the fuse and ailerons. ( I really am taking my time) about the same time I started assembly on the wing and fuse I ordered an Iron and heat gun from Tower hobbies (09/15/2003) I figured that they should arrive about the same time that I would be ready to start covering. But here I am 9 working days later and I still have not recieved the Iron and Heat gun.

When I called to ask about where my tools were the lady on the phone would do nothing for. It must be three weeks before they would look into where it was and that since I opted not to pay for a Guarenteed shipping method that the delivery estimates were not set in stone. Every time I tried to say some thing she would cut me off and let me know that it was my fault that I am (paraphrasing) "too cheep to pay more for shipping" (end paraphrasing). Although thats not the wording that she used it is what I heard.

Ohh well ... I guess that I am just spoiled by Doug @ Mountain Models and Bill @ Park Flyer Motors. I know where my hard earned hobby cash will and will not be spent in the future.

Sorry for the side track... I am just really anxious to get my Dandy Sport into the air.

-rick
Rick_the_Jeeper is offline Find More Posts by Rick_the_Jeeper
Last edited by Rick_the_Jeeper; Sep 25, 2003 at 01:52 PM.