HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:28 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Discussion
What's a good non-helmet HD camcorder for aerial?

I'm thinking one of the small SD card models with a regular FOV that will zero wide-angle distortion, not prone to jello, and preferable has 60fps capability as well as ability to turn off IS. Maybe to much to ask for?

I have been doing some comparison videos with my Contour HD and GoPro, and since my plane (Exposure) can capably handle two or more lighter cams side by side, I was thinking I'd like to try to take some side by side video and attempt to "stitch" it together with software (Vegas is good at this) and get a true panorama type video, without the distortion you get from a wide FOV.

I was thinking I could try this with the two HD Heros I have, it would be an extremely wide view, but would look funny unless you could keep the horizon perfectly centered 100% of the time to avoid the curvature aspect.

I have a Kodak Zi8, but the jello is so bad with that I've discounted the idea of getting another. In the hybrid-compact's I guess there is the older style bloggie, which is attractive because it can be placed flat for mounting, but I was also that a dedicated HD camcorder may fit the bill for this too.

Any suggestions?
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:31 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,266 Posts
These have come a long way in quality http://www.ecrater.com/p/11281843/ex...unglasses-720p
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:46 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon View Post
These have come a long way in quality http://www.ecrater.com/p/11281843/ex...unglasses-720p
Those are interesting, but I don't see what they have to do with what I am looking for..
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
The bad thing is that HD is usually cmos and cmos is prone to jello by it's very design.
Have you checked out my home made camera mount? I've solved the jello issues with my bloggie.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:43 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
The bad thing is that HD is usually cmos and cmos is prone to jello by it's very design.
Have you checked out my home made camera mount? I've solved the jello issues with my bloggie.
I was looking at that thread, interesting.

The thing is, I get no jello at all with my GoPro or Contour HD, but the Kodak zi8 is pretty well unteachable unless I'm in a glide. My first time I had it mounted standalone (see pic here) and I blamed it on the tall profile and the prop wash, so the next time I put it solid against the fuse (where the ESC is in that pic) and it was no better. I haven't tried the moongel on it yet, I may try that yet before I give up on it.

I almost pulled the trigger on a bloggie like yours awhile back, kinda wish I would have now.. two (or three) of them side by side may have done the trick..

Here is an example of the jello from the kodak, with my gopro beside it at the same time.

Go Pro Hero and Kodak zi8 on same plane (3 min 39 sec)
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Is your Kodak lighter than the Go Pro? Sometimes it's as simple as adding a couple of ounces to weight to a camera to stop the harmonics. I wonder if the sensor is mounted differently and that's why you're getting jello with it also. Oh ok I see why you're getting jello. I just went back and looked at your photo. There isn't any real way to "cushion" that camera by using the bolt. I would suggest making a platform with foam on the front side of it. Strap your camera to that. Bolt the mount to your plane. That's what I'd try.
Last edited by randall1959; Nov 12, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:26 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
Is your Kodak lighter than the Go Pro? Sometimes it's as simple as adding a couple of ounces to weight to a camera to stop the harmonics. I wonder if the sensor is mounted differently and that's why you're getting jello with it also. Oh ok I see why you're getting jello. I just went back and looked at your photo. There isn't any real way to "cushion" that camera by using the bolt. I would suggest making a platform with foam on the front side of it. Strap your camera to that. Bolt the mount to your plane. That's what I'd try.
The next (and last) time I tried it I had it fastened tight to the back of the fuse on top of the batteries and a tapered piece of soft styro to dampen and also assist in aiming down, as you can see in the video below, results were not good. The jello is directly related to rpm, as you can see.

I like the FOV and quality otherwise though, but I think the only way I'll get this cam to work is to get it out of the way of the prop completely, either by fastening a mount directly to the nose of the plane and lower down, or extending the T mount a few inches and creating a brace for the camera because of its tall profile.

Probably easier just to get a lower profile camcorder though, hence this post..

Kodak Zi8 aerial video - harmonics (4 min 22 sec)
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Styro makes horrible vibration dampening material. The best foam I ever used was Dubro receiver foam. It's silicone and very spongy. The reason your Go Pro is working better is due to the fact that it's not vibrating like a tuning fork the way your kodak is. I make car batteries. Some of the plates we use are wide and short and some are tall and narrow. The plates go into a vibrating jig and have to be "shook down" to align them. The tall narrow plates have the absolute worst harmonics which makes them a nightmare to align. The wide, short ones, have no harmonics and settle right into place due to the load being spread along a wider area. That's why your Go Pro does better than you Kodak and why my Bloggie does also. The vibration is spread across a much larger contact area.