HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:21 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Discussion
MDS Estes .25 R/C .....

I just aquiered an engine, new in box, very on the cheap. It has all the paper work, decals etc., But no muffler or the tools it came with.

The exhaust port is very short & rather tall, it reminds me of the old Enya engines. I would like to find a suitable muffler for it, if anyone reading this has one, please let me know, Ill buy it. Even a header would do.

I have been told that these Russian made engines arent too good, the carb has problems, that any more than 5% nitro is bad, It needs 25% oil.

I would appriciate it very much if anyone out there has expirience with MDS engines of any size, please post here with oppinions, advice, stories ...

Thank you, Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:28 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
992 Posts
I have several .15, .17 and .18, and they run great. They are setup with high compression to deliver good power with small props and low nitro levels. The one that I've used the most is a .18 one, it runs fine on 10%Nitro (one extra head shim), 20% all castor and a 7x5 prop (18000+ rpm). I have put a short video of it here:

MDS .18 on youtue
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
126 Posts
MDS engines

Ive owned and flown MDS engines for about 17 years now.. I love them as much today, as when I got the first one mounted on the front of my trainer.
I wish they were still in business. Most of my experience is with the 40 sized engines. For you muffler I would contact Macs mufflers in Sacramento Ca. I don't have their number handy, but just Google them, The company is all over the internet and shipping is fast. Best of all, they produce all of their inventory right here in the states (to the best of my knowledge)..
RCdude7478 is offline Find More Posts by RCdude7478
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:06 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Thanks .....

..... to both of you for your comments, duely appriciated,

Laramie.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:16 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Macs mufflers

Well, like you say, a google search got there web site just like that. They were at the top of the list.

I see they have headers & pipes, so this could be a very good connection, indeed!

Laramie.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:19 AM
Joined Aug 2011
126 Posts
MDS muffler

Also check Ebay ! I have MDS engines saved in a search engine for the Ebay site. Basically whenever someone lists anything MDS I get an Email from Ebay.
I did in fact see a brand new muffler for the engine you have not to long ago.
It was located in the UK.. Believe it or not shipping isn't to bad.. I hope you enjoy your MDS engine as much as I've enjoyed mine throughout the years
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:31 AM
Joined Aug 2011
126 Posts
Check Ebay ! Just a quick search brought up two.... They didn't list specific engine size although, they give you mounting specs..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MDS-MUFFLER-...9#ht_716wt_932

Ask the guy in this link the measurements of this exhaust... This one may do you !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MDS-AERO-ENG...f#ht_860wt_754
Last edited by RCdude7478; Nov 15, 2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:57 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Thanks, you-all .....

..... fortunetly, its not my only .25 engine, I have a nice O.S. .25 SF too. This one has a muffler too.

Ill be surfing ebay, like you say, but the idea of obtaining a header & pipe is also of inrtrest.

Laramie.