Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:09 AM
200mph +
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Discussion
HJK Speedwing LP1 Build

Hey,

Since my Stiletto didn't like life any more I needed a new s400 pylon machine.

A (incredibly well wrapped and protected box) arrived today with a shiny carbon machine inside.

Pictures below, alot are compared it size wise to my stiletto.

Its a beautiful plane, you can tell its been made by people that care. It's got the same kind of finish and attention as Yuri's xplane if you are lucky enough to have held one of those.

Wing is thin, i measure 11mm at the thickest point and it quickly gets smaller. Very stiff. Nothing on it bends or compresses when pushed. The main spar looks like a end grain balsa with carbon top and bottom. Ill take pictures when I open it up for servos.

Going to power it with 3 and 4s 2200's with a HET 2w + gm 4.75x4.75 folder to start with. Once that dies I will get a mega to carry on.

I can easily fit the 5s neu energy 2100 packs! The body is MASSIVE for the size of the plane. This plane could pack some scary power!

I'll update as I go
sykotic is offline Find More Posts by sykotic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:38 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,272 Posts
Very nice
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:54 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,291 Posts
^ +1

Want.

It seems to be lacking something... I dunno... Maybe it needs more carbon
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Nov 11, 2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:03 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,788 Posts
VERY nice plane, this one I will follow for sure..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:10 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,168 Posts
Just posted in other thread... If you don't mind 9/10, then click here link
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:06 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,291 Posts
I gotta get me one

The 2.2kW stiletto is going to break at some point!

Sykotic - 16/35/1 doooo it
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:29 PM
Montreal
Joined Aug 2009
281 Posts
I'm salivating uncontrollably!

It's fantastic to see that someone finally got one of these beauties from HJK. I think this will inspire others to do the same. I found their website last spring and was in awe. I'll bet countless others have come across their site and said wooooooooooowwwww, but just didn't plunk down cash yet, waiting to see who would buy first and report back. Thanks for being the first on RCGroups to post about this highly desirable model from the new German builder HJK.

What a plane! This could be the holy grail of pylon racers. Time will tell. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I'm very eager to hear your flight report and general commentary after you've worked with it after a few flights. I already know it flies well because I've seen the vid on Youtube. Obviously, it's not going to be a dud. But the guys in the video don't offer any comments on the flight. You however, might be more inclined to do so. Hopefully

Cheers!
Jabberwocky
Jabberwocky_ is offline Find More Posts by Jabberwocky_
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:31 PM
Montreal
Joined Aug 2009
281 Posts
What is the wing bolt setup? Does it come already drilled out, wing and fuse? And what about the motor mount? Do they include one? I know it's not already installed, according to your fuse interior picture. Is there any hardware provided with the model (pushrod, screws, horns)? They don't mention anything on their website.

thanks!

J
Jabberwocky_ is offline Find More Posts by Jabberwocky_
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:36 PM
200mph +
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
No hardware, no motor mount, no wing attachment bolt

It's not a ARF for sure.

Im going to copy Jacko's stiletto hold down for the wing. Basically a alloy plate under the lip in the fuse, and a washer/bolt through the back. It is not drilled at all. The front of the wing hold down is a solid "lip" of carbon. Much better than the pin of the stiletto.

I hope to have that part done shortly before I start on the tail so I will take pics as I go.

For the tail I will do the setup on wasps/mini hawks I think. Small bolts up through the body, through the tail into the fin to hold it all in position, and epoxy on the joins.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:38 PM
200mph +
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Sykotic - 16/35/1 doooo it

That weighs more than the entire plane! (it looks good/scary sitting in it though.....)

Test on HET, then I'll look at that... I guess I need to do something with it

I need to buy some scales and check the weights of things. I see in the past day they have changed their website to say their LP1 has gone on a diet down to 200grams, wonder if mine is one of those or if its heavier. Tail/fuse weigh stuff all, and the wing isnt very heavy
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Oct 2003
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotic View Post
Hey,

Since my Stiletto didn't like life any more I needed a new s400 pylon machine.

A (incredibly well wrapped and protected box) arrived today with a shiny carbon machine inside.

Pictures below, alot are compared it size wise to my stiletto.

Its a beautiful plane, you can tell its been made by people that care. It's got the same kind of finish and attention as Yuri's xplane if you are lucky enough to have held one of those.

Wing is thin, i measure 11mm at the thickest point and it quickly gets smaller. Very stiff. Nothing on it bends or compresses when pushed. The main spar looks like a end grain balsa with carbon top and bottom. Ill take pictures when I open it up for servos.

Going to power it with 3 and 4s 2200's with a HET 2w + gm 4.75x4.75 folder to start with. Once that dies I will get a mega to carry on.

I can easily fit the 5s neu energy 2100 packs! The body is MASSIVE for the size of the plane. This plane could pack some scary power!

I'll update as I go

Great..!!
harlem68 is offline Find More Posts by harlem68
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:21 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,759 Posts
I still have my heart set on a Viper, but this one interests me too for sure.

Tell me sykotic, did you get this from HJK direct, or is there a distributor (are you in the States?)?

Did you pay US dollars? If so, how much did you pay?

I'll be watching the build!

Thanks!

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:09 PM
200mph +
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Im in New Zealand, brought straight from HJK.

I paid their price on the website, minus VAT. I think it was 200 - 19% then 40 shipping (and the shipping was worth it imo, big box packed REALLY well). Total of about 200 euros.

Took about 10 days to get here.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:27 PM
200mph +
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
tail is 23g
fin is 6g
fuse is 56g
wing is 182

267g

Very interesting that the new ones are now 200g according to their website!

For comparison the stiletto's wing is 185g with two ds09 servos in it.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:07 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,409 Posts
I don't have the cash (or the airspace) for one of these critters, but I'll be watching this thread. We need a drooling smiley...

I've often wondered why more Speed 400 class racers don't have huge power-packing fuses like this one. Seems like if you want to go stupid-fast, that's the way to do it. Still, 5S sounds... downright psycho

What sort of speed range are you expecting for it? A 2W on four cells with a 4.75x4.75 has to be smoking, perhaps in more ways than one
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀