HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:53 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Discussion
Can anyone tell me why my Lipos flight log looks like this?

Hi Guys

I have been logging the performance of my Batteries flight, charge and storage charge on a monthly basis with my heli/powerlog6 and icharger.

I just transferred the data off my powerlog6 to logview to view the flight data and I found some weird results.

Can anyone tell my why lipo #7 cell 1 has a mirror result to cell 2 while cell 3 is in the middle and why lipo #8 has the same result, but on a bigger scale.

As you can see with lipo #10 I would be expecting this type of result..

Lipo #7 has 25 flights with only 3 times being over 80% usage.
Lipo #8 has 13 flights with only 3 times being over 80% usage.
Lipo #10 has 10 flights with only 2 times being over 80% usgae.

When I say over 80% usage I meant by just 100mA on a 2200 Lipo.
All Lipos are charged after flight then discharge to storage.

Cheers
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:02 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,912 Posts
Charts are very hard to read, probably why you have no comments.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:34 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
867 Posts
Hoppy's right, I can't read the plots either but the fact that you get a reading of 7V for a cell which should be about 3.5V is unlikely to be coincidence. It looks likely that you have got an open circuit connector pin or lead somewhere between cells so that the logger is seeing two cells in series. The chance that a cell is actually up to 7V is extremely remote.

Wayne
Wayne Giles is offline Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:24 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,039 Posts
Wayne is right. 7v is absolutely impossible. The fact that another cell is a inverse analog points to a broken tap wire or other intermittent connection in the tap monitoring system.

If you're sure your monitoring system has no issue, its time to inspect your pack for a bum connection. My guess is a broken tap wire at the cell termination under the shrink sleeving.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:05 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Hi Guys

Sorry about the small pics. I didnt expect them to be that small.

I hope these ones are of better viewing.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:23 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Viewing the graph for Lipo #7 reminded me of a flight I had with this battery 2 days before hand.

When I had connected #7 to my heli everything was reading fine, but 3sec after taking off and in a hover my Quanum started to beep saying cell one was down to 1.68v. I landed asap, killed the power and the voltage to cell one came back up to 4.0?v. I powered up again, got into a hover and the alarm went off again. I landed and didnt use the battery as I thought it was dead.

Went home and discharge the lipo with my ichager at 1.8A and monitored/recored the discharge... looked like no issues.

Charged up again and went flying the next day and had no alarms while flying. So I thought the battery was ok
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:40 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,625 Posts
If your battery charger reports good voltages on all cells I would suspect the connection to your Powerlog6.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:05 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
If your battery charger reports good voltages on all cells I would suspect the connection to your Powerlog6.

Glen
That could just be a possibility. In saying that though, Lipo 5, 6, 9, 10 & 11 all came out with normal graphs.

I might do a flight test tonight on 5,6,7 & 8 and see what the quanum has to say while flying.

It could just be a dodgy connectinon on the cell taps as the total voltage during the flight looks about right.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:36 PM
Ennnnncommmming!!!!!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
Viewing the graph for Lipo #7 reminded me of a flight I had with this battery 2 days before hand.

When I had connected #7 to my heli everything was reading fine, but 3sec after taking off and in a hover my Quanum started to beep saying cell one was down to 1.68v. I landed asap, killed the power and the voltage to cell one came back up to 4.0?v. I powered up again, got into a hover and the alarm went off again. I landed and didnt use the battery as I thought it was dead.

Went home and discharge the lipo with my ichager at 1.8A and monitored/recored the discharge... looked like no issues.

Charged up again and went flying the next day and had no alarms while flying. So I thought the battery was ok
I had a similar issue two days ago with a 6S 4000 Zippy. It would register anywhere between .70 Volts and 3.78 Volts on cell #1 and would move up and down as I was watching it. When I'd plug the deans plug into my watt meter the cell would disappear on the cell logger altogether(?). I pulled the top wrapping off of the battery figuring I had a loose wire on the top of one of my cells...... Nothing.

Taking the top off of the battery did fix my issue tho. My personal opinion is that I had some sort of a short which is now gone.

Did I fly it in one of my aircraft yesterday??? No way- I don't have near enough confidence in it and maybe never will.....
Cougar Zeke is offline Find More Posts by Cougar Zeke
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:51 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
That sounding like a broken tap wire inside its shielding.

Good thing about heli's is you spool up and your pulling alot of amps before you get off the ground. If I have any issues with a battery I usually know before 1mt off the ground. Plus as I'm not 3D flying usually I hover around for a few mins before getting out there.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:27 PM
Ennnnncommmming!!!!!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
It could be a broken tap wire..... That brand of Zippy (Flightmax) has the hard, non silicone wire which I've repaired on other batteries many times.

All the batteries I buy these days have the soft silicone wires.
Cougar Zeke is offline Find More Posts by Cougar Zeke