Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Broose27, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:13 PM
Late starter
Swan Hill, Victoria
Joined Jan 2010
167 Posts
Discussion
SE5a build

Now this is something I've never done before, so bear with me.

I'll have a crack at recording the build on my brand new Durafly SE5a that arrived today, with photos, observations and anything that might be relevant.

Hoping the kids are distracted enough, the wife doesn't add to my list of jobs, and that the pieces go together. Not optimistic that the maiden will be tomorrow (Saturday), but the forecast is for calm conditions after work Monday, so we'll see how we go.

Saturday - after parties last night and some awesome flying weather this morning, the Durafly SE5a is ready to go.

If I could summarise the build, it would be a couple of hours doing the general build and enjoying it, then an hour or two doing the fiddly rigging. Having said that, it's worth the wait.

The pics below summarise my late last night and early this afternoon building session:

The very very basic instructions - good for the batting order, and for the clearly labelled screws of various sizes, and the wings, struts, undercarriage and prop are easy. Even the metal wires on the the tail were easy. The black wire rigging and tiny springs (with heaps of spares - great idea!) you had to make up a bit, unless you've worked with biplanes before (not me).

I found it easy to follow the cheat sheet, and lay out the parts, and apart from putting the main wing struts in the wrong wings (linkages were on outside not inside for the rigging), it went togther very well.

Some close ups of the progress and finish - a minor scuff mark where the lower wing meets the fuse was the only evidence of the box being hammered by rough delivery and post office flooding.

Overall, and I'm no expert at this caper, this was fun to assemble and it looks great. Had to keep a good grip on the fuse when I tested out the throttle, so she'll have plenty of power.

A minor detail - the prop appears to have faults around it so debating whether I'll replace before the maiden flight. Could simply be from the mold used to make the wood-brown prop.

Now for a nice calm early evening tonight, or I'll be waiting another two sleeps to get her in the air.
Broose27 is offline Find More Posts by Broose27
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Broose27; Nov 11, 2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: The build is done, she's ready to maiden...
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:02 PM
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Jul 2007
222 Posts
looks very nice

Looking good Broose

its looks a nice easy build, the prop looks ok to me just a mold mark, but your best to make sure and like you said if in doubt...anyway good luck with the maiden and will be watching to hear results.

Enjoy

Pommie
pommie is offline Find More Posts by pommie
Old Nov 13, 2011, 02:02 PM
Late starter
Swan Hill, Victoria
Joined Jan 2010
167 Posts
Had some second opinions on the prop, and it is from the mold, so I'll leave it for now.
And cursed by the wind - no maiden yet. After a week of glorious spring weather, we've got some unsettled weather forecast...
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Excited for Robinvale
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:26 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Just ordered one this morning so looking forward to hearing the success of the maiden.

Does the 3S 2200 Mah fit in OK?
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:52 PM
Late starter
Swan Hill, Victoria
Joined Jan 2010
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Just ordered one this morning so looking forward to hearing the success of the maiden.

Does the 3S 2200 Mah fit in OK?
Yeah mate - you need to tuck the leads into the fuselage, but a nice snug fit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:15 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Thanks Broose27. HK already dispatched mine!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:25 AM
Late starter
Swan Hill, Victoria
Joined Jan 2010
167 Posts
And here's the maiden flight 'report'...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=79
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:29 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Cool. Just posted a comment there for you too.

Well done. It made up for me not being able to fly myself today.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:36 AM
Late starter
Swan Hill, Victoria
Joined Jan 2010
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Cool. Just posted a comment there for you too.

Well done. It made up for me not being able to fly myself today.
You'll have a ball mate!
RCG Plus Member