|Nov 10, 2011, 10:13 PM|
Now this is something I've never done before, so bear with me.
I'll have a crack at recording the build on my brand new Durafly SE5a that arrived today, with photos, observations and anything that might be relevant.
Hoping the kids are distracted enough, the wife doesn't add to my list of jobs, and that the pieces go together. Not optimistic that the maiden will be tomorrow (Saturday), but the forecast is for calm conditions after work Monday, so we'll see how we go.
Saturday - after parties last night and some awesome flying weather this morning, the Durafly SE5a is ready to go.
If I could summarise the build, it would be a couple of hours doing the general build and enjoying it, then an hour or two doing the fiddly rigging. Having said that, it's worth the wait.
The pics below summarise my late last night and early this afternoon building session:
The very very basic instructions - good for the batting order, and for the clearly labelled screws of various sizes, and the wings, struts, undercarriage and prop are easy. Even the metal wires on the the tail were easy. The black wire rigging and tiny springs (with heaps of spares - great idea!) you had to make up a bit, unless you've worked with biplanes before (not me).
I found it easy to follow the cheat sheet, and lay out the parts, and apart from putting the main wing struts in the wrong wings (linkages were on outside not inside for the rigging), it went togther very well.
Some close ups of the progress and finish - a minor scuff mark where the lower wing meets the fuse was the only evidence of the box being hammered by rough delivery and post office flooding.
Overall, and I'm no expert at this caper, this was fun to assemble and it looks great. Had to keep a good grip on the fuse when I tested out the throttle, so she'll have plenty of power.
A minor detail - the prop appears to have faults around it so debating whether I'll replace before the maiden flight. Could simply be from the mold used to make the wood-brown prop.
Now for a nice calm early evening tonight, or I'll be waiting another two sleeps to get her in the air.
ImagesView all Images in thread
|Nov 13, 2011, 01:02 PM|
looks very nice
Looking good Broose
its looks a nice easy build, the prop looks ok to me just a mold mark, but your best to make sure and like you said if in doubt...anyway good luck with the maiden and will be watching to hear results.
|Nov 13, 2011, 02:02 PM|
Had some second opinions on the prop, and it is from the mold, so I'll leave it for now.
And cursed by the wind - no maiden yet. After a week of glorious spring weather, we've got some unsettled weather forecast...
|Nov 16, 2011, 11:52 PM|
|Nov 17, 2011, 04:25 AM|
And here's the maiden flight 'report'...
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Build Log||Se5a scratch build based on Tony 65x55 plan||brianvc||Electric Warbirds||0||Sep 18, 2011 09:10 AM|
|Discussion||Build Thread: Veron SE5a FF conversion||philipa_240sx||Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models||49||Jun 06, 2011 09:55 AM|
|Build Log||Aerodrome R/C SE5a 54" Build Thread||Brian Allen||Scale Kit/Scratch Built||276||Apr 16, 2008 10:22 PM|
|Discussion||Dymond Models SE5a build thread (by an average builder)||sarge||Electric Warbirds||26||Feb 12, 2006 05:07 PM|
|Foam SE5a peanut size - new build||Fly_joy||Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models||5||Sep 16, 2004 12:48 PM|