HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:25 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,484 Posts
A great day DSing. A day where I almost didn't go.

I wanted to get Andrew into some bigger air after he got the DS thing sussed last Friday. Turned out todays weather was perfect for it. Steadily increasing NE wind that allowed Andrew to build up his PB every time he flew. I think his first flight today he topped out at about 140, then flew again later to get around 160, then near the end, one last flight got him to 169! Doing better circuits than me!

I wanted to have a go with the Jazz to see how fast it would go with its new lam film and covering job, turns out not as fast as I had hoped. Had to really push to get to 125mph. So a bit disappointed with that one. Oh well, onto the other foamies.

Was great air, not rough and good power. I am guessing wind to be about 35mph.

Flew all we had and had a blast.
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:35 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,484 Posts
Video:

Sept DS at Wainui - Andrew's PB (15 min 14 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:01 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,584 Posts
Hey I loved that video Alex! Really great flying there, an average day for you which would have been a monster day for us I think! The commentary makes it interesting too. Congrats to Andrew P. I was super impressed with those smooth laps right from the start. He's gonna be one to watch for sure. That particular Scratcho has only been to 175mph I think (can't check it exactly as RCSpeeds is down).
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:29 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,484 Posts
Glad you enjoyed the video.

As I mentioned to you previous, there was a very good Scratcho landing I left out of the video that I will show you first, then may edit up a special video just for it =)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:22 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,484 Posts
Getting the JW close to finished. Needs lam film and elevons and fin glassed
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:54 PM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,059 Posts
Love the color scheme. Will be well visible.
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:37 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,484 Posts
It is almost finished. Lam filmed the wing, elevons and fin are in the bag. Final set-up tomorrow, maiden at Tekapo on Wednesday
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:29 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,208 Posts
Knut,

Sorry about my delay in replying mate, but it sounds like the boys have sorted it out for you.

Definitely not adverse yaw. But the best thing to do when getting a tail waggle through the shear is to ignore it. As soon as you hit the elevator, the plane will stabilise again. Thats how we fly the V-Tail Opus, which is notorious for it.

As far as planes not requiring differential, I disagree completely. Every plane can use fine differential adjustment to fly better than using none, but some planes can get away without any and fly well enough as is. It really depends on how much dihedral it has. Well thats one of the factors anyway.

However, there are some planes that will fly like crap and barrel roll without differential.

The main reason why most DS guys can get away without differential is that they rarely roll the plane when doing circuits.

JW looks nice Alex. Cant wait to see what speeds you get reach with it. Maybe a new record.

Waz
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:39 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,484 Posts
it isn't my JW =(

My best foamy by far. A masterpiece! Can't find any flaws
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:51 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,584 Posts
Waz, I think a few guys would back me up in saying that Bruce Tebo does plenty of rolling during the DS circuits! Very axial, very close to the deck and very smooth! With all his planes, and he sets them all up with exactly equal up and down throws and never changes it. I wouldn't have believed it and had to ask him a couple of times to clarify.

Edit: but I have to add that I do play with ail diff on my planes.
Last edited by AvB; Oct 01, 2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:50 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,208 Posts
AvB,

I guess my main point was that some planes can get away with it, and some planes cant.

Maybe Bruce has planes that can all get away without diff, or his geometry setup provides a slight amount of diff before it hits full throw?

Diff is just another part of tweaking a plane.
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:02 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,584 Posts
Yeah agreed. If I feel like the plane is not tracking straight when I correct it in the bottom turn I tweak it. Jarred always reckons to do a few laps and get some serious speed, then punch out over the lip fairly straight and level and see what the plane's doing with no input, to check the CG and trim ... and do some left and right rolls to check that it's axial.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:05 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,059 Posts
Now the question has to be asked: no differential on the radio, or in real terms measuring the same distance of throw for up and down.
Because I can setup my plane with no diff on the radio, but I can offset my horns so it will give me differential. Maybe Bruce only did say he has no differential dialed in on the radio. Or he is just a on of a gun who doesn't need it.
I know a guy he never use any dual rates expo or any kind of mixing. You could hand him a radio mode 1 or 2 without telling him, and he could take over while you are flying.
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:29 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,393 Posts
Hey fellas, another thing I reckon has a lot to do with axial roll is the cg position. From what I have found if the plane is a bit nose heavy it will want to pull up when rolling. I find a much more neutral cg will naturally roll more axially.
Nice JW Alex!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:17 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,584 Posts
I've started a thread to blog my DS trip to NZ ... leaving tomorrow morning.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743405